Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper Weightlifting: toe in water. page

M!chael is offline Member

Proper Weightlifting: toe in water.

Shop Now
    Well after faffing about with weight machines and BODYPUMP for a while, this morning I went into the "Strength Room" at the gym for the first time to try some proper lifting.

Plan was to start at my light BODYPUMP weights and slowly build up.

3 exercises per session 5 sets of 5 reps each.

Squats: 5@25kg, 5@30, 5@35. 5@40 and 5@45 all with ease and good form. tick

Deadlifts: 5@15kg, 5@20kg, 5@25, 5@30 and 5@35 all with ease and good form. tick

Bench Press: 5@15kg, 5@20, 5@25, 5@30 and 5@35 lifting was ok but getting the last couple into position was awkward. Then I realised I should be using the rack, derr schoolboy error!

My initial thoughts . . .

This is easy and quick, didn't feel like a "proper" workout, not much sweat. Is this really all I need to do?

I could have gone a LOT heavier today and feel if I keep it up regularly I could go a LOT LOT heavier.

Next step, back next week for . .

Squats: Start at 45kg and build up

Pull Ups: Start with bodyweight (leg assisted) and see how I go

Overhead Presses: start at 15kg and build up.

Targets:

My main aim is to lose weight, so setting arbitrary weight lifting targets might not be appropriate, but 100kg is a nice round number and is my current bodyweight (15st 10 for brits or 220lbs for Americans) so 100kg would be a good milestone to reach.

(Why in Britain do we weigh ourselves in stones but our gym weights are all in kgs?)

Any thoughts welcome, is this a good approach?

Michael

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Get a system and a pencil to record your progress. You should be ok with what you are doing until you hit a plateau. Read starting strength by Mark Rippetoe and go with that. When you stop progressing you might want to look at doing 5/3/1...just google it. Make sure you eat lots of good quality food especially in the hours before and after lifting. If you want to drop some flab you might want to look into intermittent fasting too. Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

Thanks

I have a work out note book already to track progress with BODYPUMP and now with this.

I already "sort of" intermittent fast, in an unplanned way, just have coffee (oh and water and vitamin D) for breakfast and miss an evening meal maybe once a week. I think my diet is very good apart from the beer!

I Have lost 29 pounds so far, but seem to have stalled in the last few weeks, hence to need to try something different.

Michael
    Last edited by M!chael; 01-17-2014 at 04:28 AM.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Wait...you were benching without the racks, somehow?

Please please please read a quality book like Starting Strength and watch some good form videos before the weights get heavy.

Sent via lightsaber

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Wait...you were benching without the racks, somehow?

Please please please read a quality book like Starting Strength and watch some good form videos before the weights get heavy.

Sent via lightsaber
    Yeah. What passed for form in Bodypump and what is necessary at heavy weights are night and day. Please educate yourself. We're happy to help guide you to whatever resources you need.
    The Champagne of Beards

Thanks

At least I know that I don't know what I'm doing, that's why I started light and asked for tips on here.

I thought I had learnt good form from BODYPUMP, but what's easy with 12.5kg isn't so with 35 lol :-)

I think my squats and deadlifts are ok but will check out some more videos and books before I go back.

Michael

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    What equipment are you using for bench press and deadlifts? The barbell should weight 20kg if you're using a men's olympic model...
    The Champagne of Beards

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Just go get the book Starting Strength. Even if you want to keep doing this bodypump thing, whatever it is, the pictures in starting strength and the long boring prose (if you can stand to read it) will explain really well how to lift properly and why lifting that way is effective. The other book, Practical Programming, will help you plan after you exhaust your ability to progress on the basic SS program. That is, if you are interested in building strength and not just in pumping up or whatever. If all you want is to pump up, then do stuff that old school recommends.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Reventon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    That is, if you are interested in building strength and not just in pumping up or whatever. If all you want is to pump up, then do stuff that old school recommends.
    That's just reductionism to the point of pure absurdity. The idea that a hypertrophy based protocol can't make you crazy strong is utter nonsense. It's not that it won't occur so much as that it's not a primary focus of programming as much as a major ancillary benefit. Besides which, in the trenches experience is invaluable stuff and listening to someone who's been down the road before you is never a bad idea. I may not agree with all of Oldschhool's points or follow a similar programming scheme, but I've implemented some of his ideas with great success on a big five barbell lift program and used those concepts to make those lifts stronger, same as he's considered ideas Rich has thrown out there.

Having said that, this is about OP M!ke starting his strength journey. Starting Strength is excellent, as basically everyone here has mentioned. And yeah, seriously M!ke, olympic bar, racks. Count the bar's weight (20 kg) when considering loading. Watch form videos from good sources on YouTube religiously. Ask people here for ideas and advice. Doing the above, I have better squat form than most of the trainers at the gym I hit.

Diesel Strength are great. Their Deadlift and Bench Press vids especially are awesome.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Step 1) Do a lot of research into form. Once you feel you have the basics down, up the weight, but not until you start on Step 2. I have found some of the good technical vids on youtube are great for getting form down.
    Step 2) Get a spotter, someone that knows their stuff a little bit preferably. If this means you have to pay them, do it. There is nothing that will stop the "toe in water" faster than a fail on a bench or squat. Also, it would help to have someone around to make sure your form isn't collapsing once you are pushing yourself.....trust me, many a gym is full of guys squatting with their knees together. Don't join them
    Step 3) Keep up the basics. Don't listen to bozos telling you that you need to do 40 exercises to get strong. If it is in a fitness magazine, it is probably BS. Most people need to minimize.....

Happy that you are seeing the light. Like I have said on here many times, heavy weights meeting testosterone does some pretty amazing things. You may be amazed at your progress.
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast