Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just whole roasted... page

Drumroll is offline Senior Member

I just whole roasted...

Shop Now
    Several large, wild-caught Atlantic sardines. I love me those tiny canned ones, yeah, but these are a different beast altogether.

And at five dollars a pound, this stuff is a steal.

I'm going to have to frequent my newly discovered source regularly now.

Epic dinners at cheap prices.

So, what are some of the most surprisingly cheap and epic food finds you have ever made? Were you able to find it again, or was it just a one-time find?
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    Don't buy those fish. Atlantic Sardines - Seafood Watch | Monterey Bay Aquarium

I scored an entire local pork loin last week at the store. I think some goofy employee put it out still in its wrapper from the processor with a stupid low price. 4 dinners of pork loin for 4 people = $13.00

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    I came across a 1.2kg bag of organic chicken wings that were mislabeled...for $0.10. For the bag. You bet your ass I rooted through all the rest of the bags in the freezer 'til my fingers were blue, but didn't find any others.

Way to kill my buzz, cuz.

I don't really eat pork much anymore myself, but I have a great source of pastured bacon, ground pork, and various roasts if I ever have an urge.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    I came across a 1.2kg bag of organic chicken wings that were mislabeled...for $0.10. For the bag. You bet your ass I rooted through all the rest of the bags in the freezer 'til my fingers were blue, but didn't find any others.
    Well damn, one-time finds are always exciting at first, but then you realize you won't be able to repeat it. *sigh*

Hope another clerk makes a similar mistake in the future?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    How on earth do you eat your roasted sardines? I always eat sardines from the can and the canning process makes it so you can eat the bones. Can you eat the bones with roasted sardines or are you picking tiny little bits of meat off the little tiny bones?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 215 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    How on earth do you eat your roasted sardines? I always eat sardines from the can and the canning process makes it so you can eat the bones. Can you eat the bones with roasted sardines or are you picking tiny little bits of meat off the little tiny bones?
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GTU_nOCsE-...nes_MKMetz.jpg

As you can see, they are a bit larger than most other forms of sardines out there. They are too big that you would not be able to eat the spinal vertebrae. You can fillet them like any other fish and eat the fillets. If you whole roast them, you can pretty much eat everything EXCEPT the big spinal bones. So you just eat around it. Easy enough.

miata is online now Senior Member
    I occasionally see possum roadkill on the side of the road with a couple of pounds of raw meat, but not sure how fresh it is.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Reminds me of Japanese robata or the croaker at Korean restaurants. Quite a satisfying meal, I wonder how disastrous an indoor grill pan would be?
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i get smelts super cheap right now, about 2.99 pp and the last few summers lobster has been 3.99 pp and we eat it all the time.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast