Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too much protein? page

matt_a is offline Junior Member

Too much protein?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all I'm eating around 90-100g of protein daily, I read that unused protein is converted to carbs in the body can that be correct? I'm either strength training or running daily so hopefully the protein is helping rebuild muscle, I just don't want to shot myself in the foot by inadvertently taking in more carbs through protein.

Thanks,
    Matt

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Hi, Matt. If you're not an 80-lb girl, that's probably not enough protein. Are you trying to achieve ketosis? Otherwise, protein is damn hard to overeat, especially from the kinds of sources included in a try Primal or Paleo diet.
    The Champagne of Beards

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    ^ What he said

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Too much protein?

Nah. Gluconeogenesis shouldn't be a concern for you at those protein numbers.
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 01-15-2014 at 02:49 PM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Nah. Gluconeogenesis shouldn't be a concern for you at those protein numbers.
    Fixed that for ya ;-)

I agree. If anything, you probably should be eating more protein since it sounds like you're pretty active. Don't worry about gluconeogenesis in the slightest. That's only a concern if you're trying to maintain ketosis, really.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Too much protein?

Ugh sorry for the embarrassing typo. XD longggg day.

Thanks
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 01-15-2014 at 02:55 PM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Ugh sorry for the embarrassing typo. XD longggg day.

Thanks
    De nada. I can only imagine what law school's like. I went to grad school, but I know that med school and law school are on another level (my wife is a first year intern).

matt_a is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the comments guys, that's put my mind at rest somewhat but now I've got to ask how much protein should I be looking at daily? I'm around 200 pounds currently, still with body fat to loose so would like ketosis where possible.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    you're an active guy of normal size? even 150 would be on the low end for you.

i'm only 5'2" and most days get between 80-100 gms.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    I don't know your height, but I'd say at least double your current protein intake.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast