Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Skin Issues - Eczema Here, Psoriasis There, Etc. page

cheapo is offline Senior Member

Skin Issues - Eczema Here, Psoriasis There, Etc.

Primal Fuel
    (I put this in "Nutrition", because I'm pretty sure nutrition is a factor, but who knows!)

Around the time of my daughter's birth (13 years ago) I began experiencing some mild, but annoying skin issues.
    • A little psoriasis on my scalp (to complement the dandruff I've always had);
    • a patch (dime-size) of eczema here and there, usually not more than one at a time, but currently on the palm of one hand and around my right eye;
    • Anusitis (AKA Pruritus ani)--itching around the anus;
    • and even some Alopecia areata (complete hair loss) in some areas of my beard. I beat this by discontinuing the use of Echinacea, which I was taking to deal with colds. But, recently, a new bald spot in my beard has appeared.

All of these things are auto-immune, all can be brought on by stress.

The eczema around my eye has worsened in the last two months, correlating with my going from 70% Primal to 85-90%.

I am allergic to milk, but I never stopped eating yogurt and cheese and I put cream in my coffee...until two weeks ago, when I eliminated all dairy to see if it would help with my skin troubles. I don't think it has.

I take NutraSea fish oil every day. I eat fish at least 2 per week.
    My other supplements: 1000mg C; 1000iu D; 1mg Folic Acid; 1000mg Calcium

None of these problems have ever been AWFUL, but the fact that they're always there, bubbling at or just below the surface, makes me worry about the potential for a serious and prolonged flare-up.

What can I do to eliminate these annoyances? What's the underlying issue I need to treat?
    Last edited by cheapo; 06-15-2010 at 08:29 AM.

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    Put listerine on your bum!

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    I have been plagued by minor episodes of dermatitis, eczema, and psoriasis for years although wheat seems to be the worst trigger. Probiotics seem to help. In addition, is there anything you've added to your food that you might be sensitive to. I am very sensitive to additives such as food coloring, msg, other things. If you upped any processed foods like sausage recently, you might look into that.

cheapo is offline Senior Member
    We do eat sausage 1 per week, but I am pretty sure there's nothing in them but meat and seasonings. We get them direct from the farmer/butcher. But I will ask to make sure.

I eat bacon a few times per week. We get it from the same place and it is nitrate free, but I will ask about other additives.

I think we have some probiotics in the fridge. I'll give'em a go.

prib81 is offline Senior Member
    I have also had skin issues - mine seems to improve when I eat really high fat and really minimize carbohydrates. I'm drinking goat milk to gain weight, and have potatoes on occasion, but that's pretty much it. Skin stuff still flares up if I'm not high enough fat or if it's not clean (grass-fed etc.) sources.

AntonG is offline Senior Member
    i was battling the same issues, most likely its contact dermatitis. im about to post this article I wrote a while back about your household soaps/cleaners. most important is laundry detergent and shower filter.

Rarely do we take the time to learn about the industrial chemicals that are present in our everyday house hold items.Products like laundry detergent, hand soap, deodorant, toothpaste, all contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS). SLS is a strong industrial detergent that is also used in engine degreasers, floor cleaners, and car wash soaps. Manufacturers add SLS because of its easy availability and low cost, and also to add that magical foaming effect you notice in your favorite body wash or shampoo. This compound is not necessary and causes irritation at some level for most people. In lab studies, SLS is used as a skin irritant.

When SLS enters the mouth it irritates the sensitive membranes of the mouth, causing many people to have mouth ulcers and gum issues. There are many SLS free types of toothpaste. Those provide the same clean mouth without any unnecessary ingredients. SLS free toothpastes often contain baking soda and minerals to safely whiten the teeth. Coral White is a great example of healthy toothpaste.

http://www.calcompnutrition.com/cora...oothpaste.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your good old deodorant is packed with chemicals as well. The reason they are called antiperspirants is because they plug the sweat glands and prevent them from releasing anything. Aluminum chloride is a popular chemical used to prevent sweating. The problem here, besides the toxicity issues of aluminum chloride, is that when the individual’s glands are finally able to “breathe” and secret sweat, they overcompensate and create a body odor problem. To help you live smell free without chemicals, there are crystal-based deodorants composed of mineral salts. These deodorants create a very thin barrier where smell-causing bacteria simply can’t form, at the same time allowing you to sweat naturally. Sold for the same price as chemically ridden anti-perspirants, crystal deodorant is a great alternative.

http://www.thecrystal.com/

Shower gel and shampoo are loaded with Sodium Lauryl Sulfate or similar compounds. If you look on the back of your shampoo/shower gel, SLS will often be listed as one of the main ingredients. The detergent is what makes the shampoo foam. Those with dry or sensitive skin notice the added dryness and irritation right away. The dryness of the scalp caused by SLS could also result in dandruff for some people.

There are other ways to keep clean without detergents. Companies like “Dr.Bronners” make safe oil-based castile soaps that don’t cause any irritation. Dr.Bronners soaps contain basic oils like coconut, olive oil, hemp seed oil, and Shikakai extract which cleans but does not irritate. These soaps are great to wash your body and your hair, leaving it refreshed and undamaged.
    http://www.drbronner.com

When it comes to washing your clothes, there are ways to avoid detergents. Regular laundry detergents contain carcinogenic surfactants, cancer causing phenols, chemical brighteners, bleach, and a cocktail of fragrances. Together these components strip away dirt and grease, but also release toxins and leave chemical residue on your clothes. The chemical residue could be responsible for skin diseases in children as well as adults. Those chemicals get absorbed into skin and are released into the air around you.

One effective way to wash clothes without irritation is using the nuts of the Soap Tree. The Soapberry Tree gives off nuts that can be used to wash clothes. Your clothes will be clean and fresh, free of chemicals. The soap nut extract could be used to wash your body and hair, and it also serves a great fruit and vegetable wash or to keep your countertops clean. These nuts are very inexpensive and a standard supply could yield a year’s worth of laundry.
    http://www.maggiespureland.com/

Another item that can greatly improve your well being is a chlorine-free shower filter. It’s no secret that our water contains chlorine along with other chemicals. Chlorine is a very effective disinfectant that kills bacteria in the water or the water carrying pipes. The problem is the effects of chlorine on our skin and body. Filtering your drinking water has always been recommended but the water we shower in is just as important. Those of us who like to partake in hot showers should know that at high temperatures gases like chlorine are less soluble and are more likely to escape into the air around you. In a confined space like the shower, the concentration of chlorine in the air that you breathe increases dramatically. The chlorine reacts with the oils of the body and gets absorbed, eventually promoting aging and stripping off the layer of protective bacteria that we all have. In fact, the chlorine exposure from one hot shower is equal to an entire day’s amount of drinking the same water.

Shower filters are very effective at filtering out chlorine and other substances. They are combined with a showerhead and require very little maintenance. The difference can be felt immediately, from the smell and the feel of the water that no longer carries chlorine. People suffering from dry skin will find great relief in taking better showers. Chlorine-free water doesn’t strip your hair of its natural oils and leaves it soft and healthy. It has not been proven scientifically, but many people’s battle with hair loss and skin disorders have improved greatly after reducing their chlorine intake.

Below is an example of a chlorine filter attached to a very well designed showerhead that actually blows oxygen into the shower stream. I have been using this setup for over a year and the original cartridge is still working great.

http://www.showerfilterstore.com/Mer...tegory_Code=SF

if diet and household changes doesnt fix this, start cleansing the liver. there are a few good cleanses out there along with cleansers that eliminate possible parasites in the system. give what i just posted a go and then let me know how it works.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    You may have a GLA metabolism problem. Try a little bit of evening primrose (not borage oil). Also up the vitamin d to 5000IU per day. Make sure to match that calcium with at least half as much magnesium from diet or supplements. Consider a bit of cod liver oil. Vitamin A deficiency is a big player in skin abnormalities and most of us can't get enough from beta carotene.

Do that, then worry about "toxins" and the like.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    All of the issues you describe tend to be Vitamin D and zinc deficiencies in combination. Treat that and they should resolve.

Stabby, usually we see >eye to eye< but if it was a GLA metabolism defect, it would have shown up earlier.

A little vitamin A can be helpful (perhaps a 1:6 ratio of preformed A to D) but too much can cause immune function issues, skin problems and more. Ask me how I learned this.....

I get whatever zinc I get from red meat consumption multiple times per week, a daily multi supplying me with 15 m zinc and every other day 30 mg zinc capsule. I'm probably averaging 30-40 mg per day zinc. Men need more as testosterone production utilizes a significant amount of zinc. Too much though is also not a good thing. In my links, you can see the zinc and D I use.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast