Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Skin Issues - Eczema Here, Psoriasis There, Etc. page 2

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    And at this point, we know from symptoms that it's not an environmental issue but an immune one. Fixing immune function will fix the the whole list of stuff.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    cillkat, do you have a recommended protocol for strengthening the immune system? Thx.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Good stuff. The nutritional aspect should always be taken care of first because the nutritional aspect is needed to mitigate the environmental aspect if there is one. Without enough zinc and vitamin a, the skin doesn't heal properly and its structure is compromised. Without enough vitamin d the immune, detoxification, and just about everything else in some form or another iscompromised. Too much calcium and not enough magnesium is a prescription for just about every malady there is, as magnesium is needed for a good chunk of our enzymatic reactions.

I agree with the 1/6 ratio. If our bodies can produce 15000IU of vitamin d naturally but only needs about 5000 (might be more but right now 5000 seems to be the number) what's the extra 10000 for in not to modulate the ratio of A to D. Grok stores up maximum amounts of vitamin d running around killing stuff all day and when he gets a good hefty chunk of liver he gets tons of vitamin A which would distort the ratio except for the fact that he has ample stored vitamin d. WARF (probably bias but usually factual) has demonstrated that they both have activity on each other's receptors sites and also that higher vitamin d supplementation increases the need for vitamin A, so I don't think that it is much of a logical leap to suspect that A increases the need for D and that's where the ratio comes in. I suspect that as vitamin d sufficiency and storage many of the problems disappear. Hence my reason for taking about 2500IU of vitamin a from cod liver oil with 15000IU of vitamin d, at least until I get to the point of storage, I might increase it a bit after that depending on any new evidence that comes out.
    Last edited by Stabby; 06-15-2010 at 11:06 AM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

AntonG is offline Senior Member
    man, if you guys only knew what nasty shit is in your shampoo/soap/laundry detergent. i suffered with eczema my whole life until i replaced all my household stuff. there are actual industrial detergents in there that aggravate everyone's skin, some worse than others. the diet is very important but if you are irritating your skin on the outside as well the issues might linger for who knows how long.

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    Loving those soapnuts AntonG. Getting some of them for sure.

cheapo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    You may have a GLA metabolism problem. Try a little bit of evening primrose (not borage oil). Also up the vitamin d to 5000IU per day. Make sure to match that calcium with at least half as much magnesium from diet or supplements. Consider a bit of cod liver oil. Vitamin A deficiency is a big player in skin abnormalities and most of us can't get enough from beta carotene.

Do that, then worry about "toxins" and the like.
    My calcium supplement contains 1000mg Calcium and 500mg Magnesium.
    I am taking cod liver oil (NutraSea).

Last edited by cheapo; 06-15-2010 at 11:25 AM.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    That's fish oil. Cod liver oil has a little fish oil but its main function is vitamin A. So I think that at least 5000IU of vitamin d (1000IU would barely cover the absorption of your minerals, but vitamin d has a multitude of other uses) and possibly some cod liver oil would be a good idea. If you do choose to use some cod liver oil it's probably best to start supplementing with more vitamin d than that (15000IU maybe) unless you're getting strong sun on most of your body for 30 minutes a day.
    Last edited by Stabby; 06-15-2010 at 11:29 AM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Oh. OK. What are the benefits to taking Vit. A as cod liver oil over taking it in pill form?
    Last edited by cheapo; 06-15-2010 at 11:33 AM.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    I agree with the 1/6 ratio. If our bodies can produce 15000IU of vitamin d naturally
    But we can't. At least not over time. We'll make 20,000 IU when pale, but it decreases over time as we darken. Also, there seems to be a difference in amounts needed depending on whether the D comes via the skin route or the oral route.

I have seen friends here in Atlanta become D toxic on 15,000. But let me define toxic: in this case I just mean that they've achieved levels higher than is possible from sun....in other words, not physiologically appropriate.

While we can get a good bit of A from liver - and would in the EEA - it wouldn't be all that frequent and would be shared with the tribe....in terms of percentage of overall intake, it'd be tiny....a few bites once in awhile.

but only needs about 5000 (might be more but right now 5000 seems to be the number)
    after reading all of the WAPF info and all of cannel's info and spending hours with the original literature, I think it's too much. I fall somewhere between cannel and WAPF.

Why not go with the with 1000 IU D per 25lbs body weight per day, then determine A from there? Do you even know your D levels? *winks at Stabby*

And just to really put you on the spot, why more EPA than DHA when higher amounts of DHA appear to be biologically appropriate, meeting both our need for DHA and offering sufficient DHA for conversion to EPA?

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Would taking cod liver oil obviate the fish oil?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast