Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moules ... How do you eat yours? page

pjgh is offline Senior Member

Moules ... How do you eat yours?

Primal Fuel

For me, classic Moules & Frites.

Practically an institution in Belgium where there are a number of set recipes: Moules Marinière, Moules Parquées, Moules à l'Ail and so on, then the range of Chef's Signature pots of mussels.

I have my own favourite, which is a blend of Moules Marinière and Moules à la Crème: butter, onion, fennel, garlic, parsley, white wine and cream.

Frites should be Skinny Chips, or "fries", par-boiled to fluff up a little and fried off in duck fat for that authentic Belgian flavour. I love goose fat, as you know, and that will be my fat of choice.

Frites

Take a couple of potatoes, peel and cut into "fries". Skinny Chips, for us Brits.

Par-boil for three to five minutes, drain and allow to cool a little.

Don't "do" white potatoes? Well, pretty much any root will do the trick. For lower carb, leave 'em out and enjoy some greenage alongside - tenderstem broccoli would be ideal.

Moules

Take your mussels, wash them and discard any that are not closed.

Remove the beards and set aside.

Prepare your mise en place - getting all the ingredients cut and ready on a board: onion, fennel, garlic, parsley, white wine and cream. I tend not to drink white wine and didn't have a complimentary one in, so use Noilly Prat; posh Vermouth.

Don't "do" wine? Well, water will do just fine. It'll just be a bit bland, but you will get the real taste of the mussels as is, not enhanced.

Cook

You need a skillet and a lidded pan.

In the skillet melt some of your favourite paleo fat - goose fat, for me - and drop the frites in. Keep the heat on medium. Too low and they won't crisp, too high and they'll burn; along with the fat.

Turn frequently.

In the lidded pan, drop in a generous slab of your favourite butter. Bathe the onion and the fennel in it, dropping in the garlic, and as the heat rises, give the pan a generous slosh of wine (or Vermouth), pour in the mussels and get the lid on fast.

The mussels will cook through in the steam from the wine, taking on all those lovely flavours.

Give the pan a shake and toss in chopped parsley. Shake again. After a few minutes, the mussels will be cooked through - they will have opened and they'll be warm.

Remove the mussels into a bowl and remove any which have not opened.

Pour some cream into the juices in the pan. Raise the heat and reduce.

Don't "do" cream? Whisk in butter and reduce. Don't "do" butter? Well, just reduce to concentrate the flavours.

Serve

Once reduced, pour over the mussels, add a grind of freshly milled black pepper (no sea salt, since the flavour is delicate and already salty enough) and some more chopped parsley.

The sweetness of the mussels will be enhanced by the Vermouth, onion, fennel and garlic with the cream laying down a velvet backdrop, parsley just perfuming through.

Serve the frites alongside.

Eat

Dig in and enjoy, scooping out the mussels with half of the shell, slurping down the gorgeous sauce and mopping up with frites.

Enjoy!

Absolutely gorgeous!

So, how do you like yours?

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Much as you have described! I can't abide Moules Parquet though. I've also had moles done in coconut milk, with lemon grass, garlic, chilli and holy basil. Delicious!

Haha! I tried a sort of "Thai Green" Mussels and hated it! I had no idea really why I did - I can't abide coconut milk

Living in the Ice Age: Thai Green Mussels

JimenyKrickets is offline Senior Member
    I make mussels magnifico similar to the recipe in the link below. I would have never guessed they would go well with fries.

Mussels Magnifico Recipe by | SparkRecipes
    Last edited by JimenyKrickets; 01-15-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Yeah, that is nice ... simple, the tomato just giving that little acid to compliment the sweet mussels. Nice.

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    What do you do with the beards that you set aside? I usually set mine aside in the trash.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Being half Belgian moules et frites and a glass of wine is perfection to me.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    What do you do with the beards that you set aside? I usually set mine aside in the trash.
    What a waste! You must pan fry them ... splash of Tabasco.

Sorry, by "Remove the beards and set aside" meant (1) remove the beards (from the mussles), and (2) set (the mussels) aside.

Beards and Tabasco is not fun ... unless you snort 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Being half Belgian moules et frites and a glass of wine is perfection to me.
    I must be about half Belgian now, too, the amount of their beer I've drunk

You ruined bacon and eggs night for me The store next to my office has live mussels and that was all I could think of all afternoon. Here we go... I'll be right back haha.

Yes... I know canned paste faileo.
    Last edited by JimenyKrickets; 01-15-2014 at 05:55 PM.

and done... pardon the amateur presentation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast