Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Pets page

Grokdaddy is offline Senior Member

Primal Pets

Primal Fuel
    Have any of you put your pets on a "primal" diet? The reason I ask is for dogs and cats specifically most of us know they are also becoming obese like some of their owners. Most of the dog/cat food out there are grain based (corn, oats, rice, etc) and predators like dogs/cats were not meant to each them. They were meant to exist on meats only. Some of the more top quality pet food are grain free and if you read the labels sound a lot like paleo/primal foods. Some ppl have gone away from kibble all together and feed their dogs raw which is 100% primal. I got a 7 month old boxer last month and when i got him he was nearly 70 pounds and was obviously chubby. The previous owner fed him a vet recommended dog food that is grain based (and by products). As soon as he came home to live with me I started feeding him a meat based kibble that was grain free and within the first week he lost 3 pounds and has a defined waist and muscles. He had an ear infection before we got him and I'm sure it was related to an allergy to the grains. Has anyone else on MDA being doing this?
    All time high weight 262 lbs
    Primal since Spring 2012
    Start PB Weight: 240 lbs ish
    Current Weight: 220lbs ish
    Goal Weight:190-200 lbs
    All on a 6ft. 1/2 inch frame.

I can't wait to meet my abs for the first time in my life. We gotta lot of catching up to do.

I love this way of eating and hope to be able to help others.

Lyte is offline Senior Member
    I was a Buyer for the Pet Department for an organic store for a while and got to know the brands really well. My favorite dry food is Orijen, easily.

A real, genuine primal pet diet would be like raw bones and meat and grasses, right?

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    Well, sort of. Our dogs eat Little Ceasar's, but they also eat raw chicken legs and thighs. They love those... although they tend to leave them where you can step on them. They also eat the food we eat. Spoiled things, but it doesn't seem to do them any harm. The vet says they're a bit overweight but I think the vet likes their dogs to be scrawny. They are definitely not obese.

As for our cats, they still eat Whiskas. I feel a bit bad about it but I'm not buying their food... and the younger cat is at least 12, while the older cat is 19! We must be doing something right.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I have 2 dogs, both a German Shepherd and an Alaskan Malamute.....both eat what nature intended for them to eat.

I would say that it is important to know exactly WHAT is natural for them, as it is not really identical across breeds. My vet counsels EVERY pet owner to do a raw diet, and that you will end up making the money back from lack of vet bills. She educated me that my GSD and Malamute were both intended to eat certain foods, which I try to accommodate.

GSD = 30% organ meat, bones, necks, 40% muscle meat, usually rabbit or venison. She ate a deer vertebrae, the entire thing, as her Xmas present. She was a happy dog

Malamute = fish make up 80% of it, as her ancestors lived on it almost exclusively. I tend to buy cheap stuff like mackerel, but she gets whole, frozen fish as her main meal every day. Walk it out to her and dinner is over! She has gotten a very impressive winter fat layer from it. Stays outside all winter, and it is a cold place here.

It's easier than most people realize to feed this way. Most of that stuff is very cheap, and a good dry food is crazy expensive. If you want them to live on cheap Iams or something, prepare for bad teeth and a lot of health problems. Simple. Both of mine are 4 and years old, and never been to the vet for any pressing issue.
    "Man is born free.....but everywhere he is in chains."

sjoshua is offline Senior Member
    I have 3 labs, and they have all eaten grain free their entire lives.. aside from the oldest who ate grain'ed kibble for the first few months until I learned better :-\

I used to feed them orijen, but since moving I haven't found a supplier by me...

Although I'm sure its not the most ideal, I feed them the costco grain free dog food (about 1/3 the cost of orijen per bag); there is both a turkey and a salmon variety which I switch between. Additionally, they are given some full fat plain yogurt (1-2 TBSP ea) with their meals for more healthy fats and the live cultures. I also give them egg shells from the pastured eggs I eat, and random veggie trimmings. Around holidays like thanksgiving, they get turkey too

Grokdaddy is offline Senior Member
    Great responses from everybody. Folks that feed their pets like this have reported amongst other things they pets coats getting soft and shinny. I guess that is equivalent to us humans getting clearer skin and for the ladies getting silk smooth hair once they've gone primal/paleo. I would love to put my boxer on a raw diet but can't convince the wife to get on board.
    All time high weight 262 lbs
    Primal since Spring 2012
    Start PB Weight: 240 lbs ish
    Current Weight: 220lbs ish
    Goal Weight:190-200 lbs
    All on a 6ft. 1/2 inch frame.

I can't wait to meet my abs for the first time in my life. We gotta lot of catching up to do.

I love this way of eating and hope to be able to help others.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    My office cat is VLC paleo, no grains or starchy carbs at all, and my Iguana that lives in the garden is still raw vegan...

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    My cats are slowly moving to a primal diet... Right now they are getting cooked meat and dry food. The dry food is not yet grain free but I recently found a pet store that it totally into a pet's primal diet so the dry food will be primal as well in a few weeks time.

funny thing is that with humans, cats have prefferences in food. One of my cat (the male) is a real primal eater and enjoys red meat for snack and refuses to eat anything else for snacks, while the other (the female of course) eats anything, bread, banana chips, potato chips, you name it she tries itm except fish...
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I'm working on a 100% raw diet for my cat, but she first improved on a grain-free kibble. Then I switched to canned food only and her coat got softer & shinier. She was losing weight very slowly, but losing it. She weighed 14 lbs last year (I believe that was her highest) when I switched her canned food and it had more carbs in it. She had been 13 lbs the year before, definitely weighed less in between. Now she's definitely under 14 lbs, maybe under 13 lbs and her coat is even softer & shinier on a 1/2 canned 1/2 raw diet. I get the frozen ground chicken neck/back from Whole Foods & portion it out to mix with a little canned food. I just added Vit E and a B complex to the raw food and it seems to be making her perkier.

Next up is getting Taurine & mixing chicken liver into the raw mix.

Everything I've read about kibble is that it's really bad. I wouldn't call it primal at all. It's like cereal.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I give my dog grain free dry dog food (blue wilderness). He likes it and his coat looks great. I wasn't aware Costco had a grain free variety. I might have to check that out.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast