Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Use Turmeric? page

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member

How Do You Use Turmeric?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I posted a video today all about Turmeric and how it's pretty much a super hero on the spice rack (wait, all herbs and spices are pretty AMAZING)... That being said, I wanted to know how you all use turmeric? I rarely use it in my cooking so I would love recipe ideas, etc!

You never know, maybe others want ideas too!

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    Turmeric is used in a lot of Indian recipes. Indian cooking is great, not only because of the huge variety of flavors, but also because many recipes either are primal or are easily adapted to make them primal.

If you are interested in trying Indian cooking, I highly recommend "Invitation to Indian Cooking," by Madhur Jaffrey. I'm on my third copy of the book now and it's falling apart from overuse like the first two did. Lots of reasonably easy ways to prepare meat, fish, and vegetables that are scrumptious. And you get to use turmeric.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

earthlymumma is offline Senior Member
    Great post!
    I recently bought some turmeric to start using in cooking!
    Id like to get some ideas too.

Its not a nightshade is it? I can't remember but was having a niggling feeling there was a spice that was a nightshade.

Lyte is offline Senior Member
    I use it on everything. It's a bit like a marriage between ginger and black pepper, so it goes good on eggs, veggies and fish :3

EDIT*: I'll be more specific! Try sauteing or baking vegetables (like zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, garlic, kale, etc) somewhat briefly coated in coconut oil and dusted in turmeric, smoked salt and black pepper. Yummm.

If you like Salmon, set your oven to tree-fiddy and throw some foil on a baking pan. Coat it with coconut oil and lemon juice. Put the filet on there skin-down and coat it with coconut oil, lemon juice, freshly chopped or granulated garlic, turmeric (you can coat completely) and black pepper. Put it in for about 18 minutes or so depending on how thick it is.

Yuuummmmm.

Also, eggs. Every way, any way, all ways. Just throw some turmeric on there and go.
    Last edited by Lyte; 01-14-2014 at 04:33 PM. Reason: *

Lyte is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earthlymumma View Post
    Great post!
    I recently bought some turmeric to start using in cooking!
    Id like to get some ideas too.

Its not a nightshade is it? I can't remember but was having a niggling feeling there was a spice that was a nightshade.
    It's not

snoops is offline Senior Member
    Tropical smoothie
    Banana,mango,pineapple, coconut water,
    1tsp turmeric, 1tbso hemp seed. Blend!

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    I have read about it's beneficial effects on BDNF so I try to use it a lot. It doesn't have a ton of flavor so I add it to all kinds of things. Salad dressing, cooked greens, soups, stews, ground meat, even bulletproof coffee. Mark posted a recipe for turmeric tea with coconut milk a while back which sounds awesome but I haven't tried it yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Hannakb is online now Senior Member
    I scramble about 1/4 teaspoon into an egg for my children's omlete, they can't taste it so an easy way to sneek it in

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Polecatz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannakb View Post
    I scramble about 1/4 teaspoon into an egg for my children's omlete, they can't taste it so an easy way to sneek it in

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Sounds interesting I am gonna try that.

Btw I think its a root/rhizome like ginger. Apparently if you search around you can buy the actual root - in Indian shops here in the UK at least.

Turmeric pickle is gorgeous - very spicy - I mix it with mayo. Ask in your local Asian store.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast