Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Generic page

Elessar is offline Senior Member

Primal Generic

Shop Now
    I read the Primal Blueprint and admired the detail as well as the clarity of information contained. I completely understand the repeated references to "organic," "local," and the related recommendations to eliminate the toxins that are included in our food as preservatives and GMO stuff.

However, I have been wondering about the effectiveness of the blueprint if a person couldn't afford or didn't have access to special outlets for organic and clean foods. I wonder about what I have been thinking about the success of going "Walmart Primal?" Simply eliminate all sugar and grain from your diet and purchase what you have at hand that is aligned with the Primal Blueprint. I think that it might be possible to achieve limited success, despite the chemicals that are included in most mass-produced food stuffs that would still be working against you.

Has anyone tried this idea? What are your thoughts? Maybe I'm kicking a dead horse that has already been debated...
    "The road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the road has gone, and I must follow, if I can." J.R.R. Tolkien

Alessandra is offline Senior Member
    Mark has talked about this in the past. Right now, I'm sort of doing that myself. I'm on a budget for a while so I can't afford to eat organic until I get my finances under control. I think that you can still manage it. There are a few things that I won't compromise on, like my eggs and bacon. However, I can cut back on how much of those that I eat. I also bought leaner cuts of meat. As per the produce, it's not like I can't wash that stuff before using it. I do it the old school way by scrubbing the produce that needs it. If it's peelable, then I peel it. It can work.
    Don't let nobody try and take your soul. You're the original . --Switchfoot- The Original

GW: 135 SW: 156.8 CW: 156.8

Grafter is offline Senior Member
    Short answer: Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. So, go for it by reducing your toxin/inflammation load by cutting out processed foods and PUFAs.

This has been discussed multiple times before as well as there have been multiple threads on how to eat primal on the cheap, with people having success. Though cost really does depend on where you are at, as some places have cheap grass fed beef and organic veggies and fruits and others don't.
    turquoisepassion - I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS

kmarie is offline Senior Member
    Yes, just cutting out wheat (and other grains) & sugars will make a huge difference.

Then slowly increase your veggies & fruit, buy what's on sale for now, a great way to vary the diet and save. Wash conventional produce well, peel.

kmarie is offline Senior Member
    Whoops, sent too soon.

Buy lean cuts of meat. Ground grass fed beef is cheaper than most feedlot steaks or even chicken breasts.

Canned salmon is a great value @ $3 for 15 oz.

Nuts are expensive, watch for sales and limit them.

Supplements are expensive, limit however you can.

Start slow, maybe one change at a time.
    Ditch the wheat first, sugar next and them start reducing all overly processed
    Foods (easier if you're already avoiding wheat/added sugars).

Another thing I learned, GF baking & GF baked goods are way too expensive! They are helpful to transition of wheat, but be careful, watch your wallet & your body (many don't do well w the alternative flours).

Don't worry if it's not local or organic or whatever right now. I know for almost anyone, getting closer to real food is a step in the right direction

Best of luck!!!
    K

Best of luck!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I don't go organic on everything. I get my meat from a small market with real butchers. It's super cheap. They also have cheap produce. I save the expensive stuff for high quality dairy. I like my sour cream and cottage cheese to have only cream or milk and cultures. And I like fancy stinky cheeses.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    I did something like this last year for 6 weeks, out of necessity. I think the results were equivalent to going grass fed/organic. I completely believe grass fed/organic is the way to go if you can afford it, but if you can't, do the best you can. As others have said, its still better than eating grains, processed foodstuff and seed oils.

Elessar is offline Senior Member
    I like fruits and vegetables and have no problem eating them raw, cooked, and everything in between. My wife, on the other hand, hates cold food and that will be part of the challenge. We don't have any children living at home anymore so we are free to make our food choices between the two of us without being judgemental of each other and the differences. She is still on diet soda and chocolate because that's her choice.

I have decided to cut sugar, grains, and soda pop completely. I have read the PB and just received the cook books for PB, Quick Meal, and Sauces so we will have wealth of information and recipes from which to choose. I spoke with a friend that raises beef here locally and we are looking at buying a whole cow this spring when his stock is ready for market. That will be a huge help in the freezer. We'll probably share with our children and I've already said if my friend decides to raise hogs again that I'd be interested in that too.

The shift away from grains is going to be hard to figure when it comes to menu choices because I always considered them the foundation of the meal when planning the menu. I do most of the cooking because I love to cook, and I'm looking forward to the challenges. I have some venison in the freezer right now and we are fortunate to have access to some good sources for beef until the cows are ready for processing.

The major impediment for me is the mental shift in planning the meals. I need the cook books for the ideas. Securing the products will be the easy part. I posted this inquiry because I was thinking about everyone else as well as the idea that some changes to diet are better than no changes, even if some changes include the chemicals from the major farms/producers.
    "The road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the road has gone, and I must follow, if I can." J.R.R. Tolkien

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    instead of a grain, have another veggie or some sort of tuber. get all those boxes of pasta and crackers out of the house.

i haven't seen you mention cooking fats? in addition to ditching grains you also want to eliminate all seed and "vegetable" oils.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

JimenyKrickets is offline Senior Member
    I like to look at ways to save money so I can make quality food my #1 priority.

Do I need to take that vacation just so I can facebookshit photos thinking I'm making people jealous? Do I need a new car even though mine is perfectly reliable? Do I need my house or can I live happily in something half the size....and so on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast