Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with primal Italian dinner ideas page

KestrelSF is online now Senior Member

Need help with primal Italian dinner ideas

Primal Fuel
    A friend wants an Italian dinner for her birthday this Sunday and I was looking for suggestions for what I could make for me and a couple of other friends who just went primal. Any ideas for low carb Italian dishes? I only know how to make the super high carb ones, my weakness!

dacec is offline Senior Member
    I made a great grilled zucchini lasagna recently. First I made a hearty meat sauce then grilled several zucchini, to the point of nice char marks (brush them with olive oil first) then layer: sauce, zuke, ricotta & mozzarella, sauce, zuke, ricotta & mozzarella....top with sauce and grate parm. Bake till bubbly.

The grilled flavor of the zucchini comes thru very nicely and the dish was well received

peril is offline Senior Member
    Insalata Caprese for starters. Vitello Tonnato with a salad (mixed or green). What about Fegato alla Veneziana? Italian cuisine is much much more than pizza and pasta. Tuna or swordfish steaks are simple and very Sicilian. Osso Bucco is a real favourite, and has the joy of marrow as well as the fatty meat

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I make my own spag sauce with homemade sauasge, and use zucchetti, or I use zucchini "lasagna" and the same sauce in lasagna, or make veal/ chicken parmigiana w/ almond flour over homemade marinara and zucchini noodles...
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

MamaB is offline Junior Member
    Zucchini Lasagna is VERY good. The recipe I use is a little different than the one above, but grilling the zucchini sounds yummy. You can find the recipe I use on allrecipes and it's called "Summer Lasagna." I would recommend sweating the zucchini first. I've made this several times and everyone loves it. In fact, I made for a dinner that had a traditional noodle lasagna and this one was eaten first.

Big Dave is offline Senior Member
    Spagetti squash with homemade sauce! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Mmm...Chicken Piccata

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    + 1 for osso bucco!!!

Also, seafood is very primal and very italian, do it in a cream sauce or in a zesty marinara sauce! A mix of shrimp, scallops, mussels etc would be super special for a birthday!!! Mmmmmmmmmm!

Joe B is offline Member
    +2 for Osso Bucco, it is amazing! I'm in Rome studying abroad right now, and last thursday was the first time I tried it and it was soooo good. I am definitely making it when I get back to the U.S.

I've noticed that there are also some staple vegetables served here, the main two being chicory and artichoke hearts. They also serve zucchini, egg plant, and spinach, so you could make one of these. I personally recommend artichoke hearts, I never tried them until I came here and they are my new favorite vegetable.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    All of the above!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast