Thread: When To Have Carbs? page

Growing Grok is offline Junior Member

When To Have Carbs?

Primal Fuel
    I have read everything from carbs should be taken in the mornings to break my fast, that they are the best during my last meal before bed, that they should be taken post workout, that post workout carbs are useless (and can actually be counter-productive), carbs should be taken pre workout, carbs should not be all consumed in one meal due to the large spike in blood sugar, carbs should not be distributed evenly due to the constant insulin release, etc. Which one is correct? I have recently decided to gain muscle mass and knowing how to incorporate carbs (sweet potatoes, squash, fruits, white rice) into my diet would be really helpful. Thanks.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Anytime on lifting days to gain. I prefer to lift fasted no matter if I'm cutting or putting on mass....so mines always after lifting.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    This is a really divisive topic. You will get a wide range of responses.

I generally find that for me:
    -carbs right after workouts allow for faster and better recovery
    -high to moderate carbs in general helps build strength way faster (but might cause too much fat gain if you don't keep fat low... Or cycle carbs...)
    -carbs in the afternoon-evening helps prevent insomnia
    - since I take all of my vitamins/etc in the morning and some of them are fat-soluble, I tend to concentrate the small amount of dietary fat I do consume (I am around <50g fat most days...Some times <20g) in the morning to help those vitamins be better absorbed. Since I don't eat fat + carbs together, this usually means I am lower in carbs in the morning. I usually just end up having reduced fat milk + coffee + gelatin in the morning (maybe an egg or two), lean red meat/cottage cheese for lunch with some carbs, mostly carbs in the form of fruit for dinner.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Hannakb is online now Senior Member
    It's all about experimentation.
    And to some point how much activity your doing durning the day.
    I find I sleep better when I have potato (sweet or white) or rice with dinner, and I usually unintentionally fast longer the next day (or just don't want to stuff my face the instant I wake)

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Growing Grok is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all the replies!

littydiji is offline Junior Member
    You will get a wide range of responses.

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    In this study, participants lost more weight by eating carbohydrates in the evening:
    Greater weight loss and hormonal cha... [Obesity (Silver Spring). 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Anytime on lifting days to gain.
    Eat carbs to gain.

Eat carbs to lose.

Eat carbs to stay the same.

There is no "time" to eat carbs. Purposely overeating massive amounts of carbs after lifting makes sense, but just because you aren't lifting doesn't mean you can't have carbs. Eat as many carbs as you want whenever you want using your natural hunger mechanism, and as always, eat them whole and unprocessed i.e. not flour and sugar. Just don't purposely stuff your gut unless you're specifically trying to gain.

You probably shouldn't be eating 3 pounds of potatoes at your office desk. And you probably also shouldn't be eating a 20oz steak or drinking buttered coffee at your office desk. Eat sensible portions unless you're trying to gain.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    How do you feel after your workout? If you feel hypoglycemic from a tough workout then eat some carbs. If you don't feel hypoglycemic I doubt it matters very much
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Jason Paul is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    You probably shouldn't be eating 3 pounds of potatoes at your office desk. And you probably also shouldn't be eating a 20oz steak or drinking buttered coffee at your office desk. Eat sensible portions unless you're trying to gain.
    This is funny because I'm eating about 2 pounds of potatoes at my office desk right this second!

Not my habit - just curious after reading some of the Potato Hack Diet thread.

Jason