Thread: Terrible stomach aches page

greatbig is offline Junior Member

Terrible stomach aches

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Good day chaps, i have been on the paleo nutrition for about two weeks now and i feel freakin great so far.
    Great exept for one problem: stomach aches.

I have had them since about day 3-4 but it wasn't too bad at first since it only occured mildy once in a while, but in the last couple of days, I started getting those every afternoon. I would be hungry for lunch or snack by 12 and even if I only ate a couple nuts, I would have serious stomach ache and bloating for hours. It hurts enough to make me sweat, and I don't sweat all that easily!

I do not have a clue of the cause since I did not introduce anything new to my old diet (only exluded the bad stuff).
    On the stool side, I might have experienced constipations in the previous week, but those aching occured even after 'unclogging' myself with a home made laxative strawberry syrup (yummy), I also tried kefir to give my gut some help but did not notice any improvement.

I also never get this pain in the morning or after dinner (assuming i got through digesting lunch)

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member
    If you're eating dairy, you could be intolerant to it. Or eggs too.
    Have you tried digestive enzymes?
    Needing some accountability, so here's my stats:
    34yrs old, 5'5"
    CW: 163lbs (07/2014)
    GW: 135lbs or less
    Eating mainly paleo, but including a bit of white rice (don't call the Paleo Police!)

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greatbig View Post
    I do not have a clue of the cause since I did not introduce anything new to my old diet (only exluded the bad stuff).
    That's helpful to know.

I should suppose digestive enzymes might be helpful as post #2 suggests. Maybe you're eating a lot more meat than you have been, for example, and aren't digesting it as well as you might be.

But as it only started 3 to 4 days in perhaps it's not related, or not closely related, to what you're currently eating.

More information would be useful. The question that raises itself is: "What does 'Paleo' mean to you?" We don't actually know what you're eating in any detail. Have you read through Mark's introduction to the diet and lifestyle?

Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

It's interesting that you conclude "assuming i got through digesting lunch". You seem to feel yourself that you're just not digesting well. So maybe it's not a reaction to this or that food (and you did say you'd introduced nothing new). Maybe it's just the balance of foods.

An interesting question would be: "Are you eating enough fat?" That can help to get things moving, if they're a little slow. Better than relying on insoluble fibre. If you drink some gelatinised home-made broth with meat it can help you to digest it, and is, besides, soothing to the stomach.

Could you post a sample of a day's food?

It goes without saying that if the problems go on for more than a day or two or the pain is more than seems normal, you should see your doctor.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I had the same thing a while after I went paleo. It turned out the extra nuts and nutbutters I was eating were the cause.

Eggs are the other one people tend to increase that may cause tummy issues.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

After a little search, enzymes sound like plausible. Once I have more time I will post a day of food (I tracked most days on a program) but on my typical days my calorie count come 60-70% from fat 20-35% from protein and less than 13% from carbs.

I will post my eating day from today or tomorow when I can, thank you for taking interest

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greatbig View Post
    After a little search, enzymes sound like plausible. Once I have more time I will post a day of food (I tracked most days on a program) but on my typical days my calorie count come 60-70% from fat 20-35% from protein and less than 13% from carbs.
    Loren Cordain talks of figures for protein going up to 33% or 35% here and there. It's an awful lot. This is based on his calculations from data collected and published by anthropologists. However, I guess the accuracy of his figures is dependent on (a) the accuracy of the data he's using and (b) the validity of the assumptions built into the model he's using to interpret that raw data. Again, that's an awful lot of protein … specially if the total calories are high. You've got to digest all that.

Mark bases his figure for someone's protein needs on their size and activity level. He gives a figure in grams rather than percentage, which seems a better way to do it. His figures would end up rather lower and nearer to what most low-carb proponents advise these days. Try the link I gave in post #3 for more on that.

Prof. Cordain's figures for carbs tend to be much higher than you're eating. He's currently saying around 40%. (Since he doesn't recommend cereal grains or potatoes or the like, he's doing it all on fruit.) The latest figures I know of from him are:

... moderate-to-high protein (25-29), moderate-to-high fat (30-39) and moderate carbohydrates (39-40).
    Estimated macronutrient and fatty acid intakes fro... [Br J Nutr. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

You're kind of somewhere in-between Paleo and Primal recommendations. You're lower on the carbohydrate and higher on the fat than Cordain says (rightly or not) is ancestral, but you're eating up to his maximum levels for protein.

I think you might want to run Mark's calculation given in the Primal 101 and see how how many grams per day you end up with. You don't have to eat to a number, of course, but it's rough guidance. Perhaps with protein more in the range 15% to 20% and some digestive enzymes the discomfort would go away.

I will post my eating day from today or tomorow when I can, thank you for taking interest
    Looking at that may suggest something to somebody here.

Very interesting indeed! Today it got a little better on the aching and the stooling.

The menu;
    Morning (6h30)
    -3 eggs (free range) cooked in bacon grease
    -1 large portabella shroom with butter
    -1/2 cup blackberries

Snack(before workout)
    Casein powder 1 scoop
    1/2 cup plain kefir
    200ml coconut milk (the good kind)

Lunch (11am)
    Fasted for the first time because i was not hungry

Dinner (3h30)
    325g piece of particularly fat shortloin steak in butter
    1 1/2cup green peas in olive oil
    1 apple

Total fat: 160g
    74g saturated
    5g polyunsat
    46g monosat

Total carb:57g
    Dierary Fiber 18g ---> lower than average
    Sugars 21g

Protein:146g

64% fat 26% protein 10% carb 2184 net calories (300-400) from average
    I weigh 170lbs for 6ft tall and about 15% bodyfat
    I also take multivitamins and omega 3 supplement in the morning.

Am I gonna survive?

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    The pains could be from all the fat, maybe cut some back & add them in more slowly.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

jammies is offline Senior Member
    The casein and coconut milk have always been in your diet?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Sorry for the lack of update.
    It seems the problem is gone! The 3 things that could correlate with my healing are gut flora, protein intake and time.

Thank you all for your wisdom