Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you lost weight with high cortisol? page

nikkipie is offline Member

Have you lost weight with high cortisol?

Primal Fuel
    Hi All,

I'm wondering if there is anyone on here who has successfully lost weight with high cortisol (and or RT3 thyroid) issues. If so, I'd love to hear how you managed.

I have very high cortisol levels. Getting tested again this week, but I'm sure it is still high. Like double what it should be. The thing is, I don't feel very emotionally stressed. I appreciate that I have a stressful job (that for the most part I enjoy), I'm planning a wedding (with a planner, which takes a lot of the stress out), but I just can't seem to get my weight under control. I gained 25lbs within 4 months of starting work at my job, so I'm pretty sure it must be job stress related. At first I just thought it was because I was eating crap and not exercising as much. So I started WW and trying to exercise more. Did nothing. It has been over a year now of pretty regular and intense exercise, bootcamp etc. I have been eating clean for a long time, already with fairly low refined carb intake (VERY low processed foods), and I've been relatively paleo (with cheats during christmas, birthday, T-giving) for a few months.

From over a year ago, when I started to try to lose the weight I gained SO quickly, I'm essentially the same. I think the exercise resulted in some fat loss, which is great, but I weigh the same.

I'm getting married in 9 months. I can't imagine looking at pictures of myself like this at my wedding for the rest of my life. I have relatively high confidence levels, but I'm just not comfortable in my skin, and the extra weight (and/or inflammation?) makes my joints hurt, and makes it harder to exercise.

I try to stay positive and just eat healthy and exercise for the inherent good that it does, but I want to fit in my wedding dress! I don't want to be the fattest one of all my friends anymore!

If you have experienced high cortisol, AF, and/or high RT3 (I'm on T3 to correct problem), and have someone figured it all out, cured things and managed to lose weight, I would LOVE to hear how you did it.

I have also been planning to add yoga into my exercise routine to help reduce stress. I think excessive bootcamp may have been contributing to high cortisol, but not giving it up entirely. Do crossfit and some bootcamp. Its also hard to try and control stress on an emotional level, when I don't feel particularly "stressed out". However, my body apparently knows better and just is stressed. This happened before when I had to take board exams. Didn't feel emotionally stressed, but my body broke down and I couldn't eat almost anything. Was living off of maybe 1k calories a day. This was before I gained any weight, but even only eating 1k calories a day for 1.5 months, I didn't lose much weight.

How do you gain 15 lbs in 4 months and are completely incapable of getting rid of any of it in over a year? It seems scientifically impossible. If you buy in to cals in/cals out... I am defying the laws of thermodynamics. Maybe I need to do Paleo and low calorie? I know my metabolism is absurdly low. Even when doing bootcamp (3x/wk, which supposedly burned an extra 2,400 cals/wk), and eating 900-1,300 cals/day I didn't lose any muscle mass. I also didn't lose almost any weight. Was eating clean, but not paleo.

REALLY, ANYONE who has gone through something similar with success, please please share! I'm trying not to get stressed about my health situation, because that will make it worse, but I haven't found anyone in the same situation who was successful.

baconator is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for starting this thread, I'm very interested to see what people have to say. I have high cortisol and borderline low thyroid levels. Before I found out about this I had been primal for over a year and was steadily gaining weight. So far the only thing that works for me is the potato hack. I've been alternating a few days of potatoes and a few days of primal and the weight is slowly coming off.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    If you have high cortisol, you should not be doing strenuous exercise. What your body needs is adequate nutrients and rest so it can send all that energy you're taking in to recovery. Now is not a time to restrict calories! Adequate sleep is also key.

Why You May Need To Exercise Less

There's More to the Story: A Leptin Primer | Whole9 | Let us change your life.
    A leptin reset might be helpful, from what I've read. The basics are: 50 g of protein in the AM and eat breakfast as soon as you can once you've woken. Eat 3 meals a day, no snacking. Don't eat dinner within 4-5 hrs of bedtime. There are other "rules" but you can read around for more information if it seems like it could be a fit for you.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    If you have high cortisol, you should not be doing strenuous exercise. What your body needs is adequate nutrients and rest so it can send all that energy you're taking in to recovery. Now is not a time to restrict calories! Adequate sleep is also key.

Why You May Need To Exercise Less

There's More to the Story: A Leptin Primer | Whole9 | Let us change your life.
    A leptin reset might be helpful, from what I've read. The basics are: 50 g of protein in the AM and eat breakfast as soon as you can once you've woken. Eat 3 meals a day, no snacking. Don't eat dinner within 4-5 hrs of bedtime. There are other "rules" but you can read around for more information if it seems like it could be a fit for you.
    Thanks for this! I read a lot about excessive exercise and the impact on cortisol levels. It was just so difficult because every doctor I went too kept telling me that I just needed to eat less and exercise more! I do think that the 3 hours of bootcamp every week (plus other things in between) was too much. Thoughts on cross fit? I like it because the intense parts are pretty short, and it doesn't involved the long cardio that tends to really bring up cortisol levels. It's also really hard to give up the exercise because a. it has helped me not gain even more weight than I already have, and b. if I'm going to be fat, at least I'm pretty darn fit and strong. I've asked my doctor and he can't give me an answer as to an appropriate level of working out for my condition. Perhaps I need a new doctor. I also know that restricting calories (long term dieting) causes stress on the body and can increase cortisol as well. Kinda a conundrum no? You gain so much weight, and what you need to do to lose it is exactly the opposite of what you've been told? I'm horrified to admit that I've been considering seriously unhealthy, super restrictive, gross, and unhealthy (think medifast, not as bad as cayenne juice fast) because of my impending wedding. Trying to avoid that by finding something that will work that is healthy and won't cause more long-term damage.

Thanks for the suggestion baconator! I will check out the potato hack, I hadn't heard of that. Sounds tasty! I'm so scared of carbs, but I am definitely open to trying anything that will work, and isn't crazy.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    If you want to modulate that cortisol... Phosphatidylserine and Inositol. Mind Nutrition has a nice stress supplement Neurochill: Cortisol and Mood Restoration Nootropic | Mind Nutrition that has both in it however they don't have as much Inositol as I'd take (I use PS and Inositol to help combat my PTSD late 2012/early 2013 after doing a lot of research). If I were you I'd give a bottle of neurochill a go (I've used it, it's great I just didn't care about the Bacopa) but you'd have better control if you went with PS and Inositol on their own.

Swanson Triple-Strength Phosphatidylserine and Jarrow Formulas Inositol are what I used. 2x of the PS and 4x Inositol in morning and again about a half hour before bed. You probably wouldn't need as much of the Inositol (I was looking at people that had been using several grams a day for treating PTSD). You can probably find cheaper sources but Swanson and Jarrow usually have great quality.

Either well those should help.
    Last edited by ryanmercer; 01-13-2014 at 04:34 PM.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Stress leads to high cortisol levels that again leads to wáter retentions = no weight loss on the scale or even weight gains! The good news though is that it's WATER WEIGHT, unless people are overeating, and when getting in control over stress the body drops the wáter...

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Stress leads to high cortisol levels that again leads to wáter retentions = no weight loss on the scale or even weight gains! The good news though is that it's WATER WEIGHT, unless people are overeating, and when getting in control over stress the body drops the wáter...
    I wish it were water weight! Sadly, it is definitely fat. Cortisol and adrenaline impact what your body chooses to burn for energy. Instead of burning stored fat, cortisol causes your body to burn muscle tissue and carbs. It literally prevents your body from burning stored body fat and while everyone else is in fat burning mode throughout the day, I'm not. As a result, fat, not water, accumulates. Super fun.

And between the high cortisol and the hypothyroidism caused by the high cortisol, (poor conversion of T4 to T3, and high levels of inactive RT3, which I am on T3 to counter) the fat simply does not go away.

I am not a fat burning machine. I am a fat storing machine.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkipie View Post
    I wish it were water weight! Sadly, it is definitely fat. Cortisol and adrenaline impact what your body chooses to burn for energy. Instead of burning stored fat, cortisol causes your body to burn muscle tissue and carbs. It literally prevents your body from burning stored body fat and while everyone else is in fat burning mode throughout the day, I'm not. As a result, fat, not water, accumulates. Super fun.

And between the high cortisol and the hypothyroidism caused by the high cortisol, (poor conversion of T4 to T3, and high levels of inactive RT3, which I am on T3 to counter) the fat simply does not go away.

I am not a fat burning machine. I am a fat storing machine.
    How do you know its all fat? If you have gained fat then you've been overeating, hormones cannot make people gain fat by themselves, so there must be an excess of calories involved! And yes, stress can make some people overeat, no doubt about that...

Mamame is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That is a lot of weight to gain in a short period of time - has your Dr. looked in to Cushing's Disease at all - ie an adenoma on your pituitary that could be stimulating your adrenals to make excess cortisol?

Cortisol can have a big impact on weight though (despite how many calories you are intaking). I have low cortisol (Addison's), and pre-diagnosis I was eating 3000+ calories/day and still lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast