Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I invest (money) into paleo? page

roseb is offline Junior Member

How do I invest (money) into paleo?

Primal Fuel
    My friends say I'm pretty good at spotting trends: I was wearing minimalist shoes seven years ago, back when everyone tried to convince me that I needed good support for my high arches; now that vibrams are seen everywhere, my friends note how they are not surprised. I used babywearing with my kids and showed everyone around how to use a wrap and how it's good for babies years ago. I did crossfit before crossfit boxes started popping up everywhere. I started paleo before it became the most popular search term.

And then my brother said: "so now if you could only figure out how to make money on being early to the trend" and I thought "hmm, he's right."

I've been paleo for three years, and I see it working for me and for those around me whom I've introduced to it. I've given tens of "Whole 30" and "Primal Blueprint" books as gifts. I believe it's going to get even bigger, simply because it works.

And if it's going to get even bigger, is there a way to invest in it? Let's say I have some money right now, what's the best way to invest them to capitalize on what I see as a growing popularity of paleo?

This has to be pure investment of money, and maybe a bit of energy and time, but definitely not much time, because I already have a full time job, and opening a crossfit box or starting a clean foods store or writing yet another paleo blog is very unlikely to beat my income from my job (not to mention that I'm not exactly an athlete or much of a businessman).

Any ideas? Would love to hear what you all think.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

How do I invest (money) into paleo?

I think the paleo early adapters (mark et al) already will make the most amount of money in these older niches. You have to put your own spin on it to make money instead of following what's already out there.

What is something you can do that doesn't compete with the current leaders, but will instead add to their services? Something they will be willing to endorse on their websites?

Paleo is a very internet (grassroots)-driven enterprise so you need to be either be first on the (niche) market or you need to be better than anyone else at marketing your product (on the internet).
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

I agree that to start your own thing, you need to be either the first in the niche market or be a good businessman. But that's the thing: I'm not interested in starting my own paleo business.

What I mean is that if, say, I thought that the health-wearables market was going to explode (more so than it already is), I'd go and invest in fitbit and other companies. Some of them are public (like garmin), so it would be a matter of buying the right stocks.

There aren't any public paleo-centric companies, that I know of, so I can't just decide to put my money there. Perhaps if there are people trying to start paleo businesses who need funding capital, that'd be one avenue for investment, but I don't know of any such people personally.

That's why I'm asking: I wonder if other people have any creative ideas. Any way to invest collectively in farms selling grass-fed meat? Something else?

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Buy stock in grassfed dairy/meat companies? XD

hedge bets on grain industry stock decreasing in value?
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Yep, invest in a farm that grass feeds ANIMALS for direct sale to the Paleo purchasers.

I was watching Diners, Drive in's and Dives this past weekend, Guy was in a place in North Carolina, i believe it was called the Weeping Raddish??? German family owned and the owner/chef used the WHOLE animal from local grass feed farm. His recipes were off the chain, the fachizzel, made liverwerst that most everyone enjoys.

Danny

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Start making and selling a paleo product.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I feel like the best way to support a paleo movement is by living it. Find good farmers & support them by buying their produce/meats. I don't think it really works to think of it as an industry.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    There aren't any public paleo-centric companies, that I know of, so I can't just decide to put my money there. Perhaps if there are people trying to start paleo businesses who need funding capital, that'd be one avenue for investment, but I don't know of any such people personally.
    I swear I've seen people looking for investors in grass fed farms, iirc, Mark featured a guy in his success stories.

I would not invest in fitness at all unless it's a supplier- like someone like Rogue or Reebok.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member

PrimalCon New York
    I remember that Friday's write-up. Quite impressive, but their kickstarter campaign is long over. Well, if anyone is looking for investment money to start their paleo company, feel free to pm me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast