Thread: How to incorporate pre/post workout fasting with early morning training? page

chainblade84 is offline Junior Member

How to incorporate pre/post workout fasting with early morning training?

Ok so I've been a big fan of fasting. I followed the leangains approach and basically fasted through my sleep and the morning. I broke my fast at around lunch time. Then worked out around 4. Got home and had dinner. THis worked out nicely.

However, I got a new job and now I'm basically working 7 to 7 everyday so working out that late just doesn't work. I'm way too exhausted and I'd like to see my son before he goes to bed and see my wife before I go to bed. Another thing to throw into the mix is that i'm pretty much driving from site to site all day (I'm an IT Consultant). I haven't worked out much since this new job as I'm still trying to figure out how to do it. But I think I'm going to have to work out before hand at like 5:30 am. The issue with that is that usually one wants to eat after working out. But this would break my fast at like only 10 hours so it's not much of a fast. That and since I'm on the road for my job, I don't have time to go home and eat and I don't want to eat out obviously.

So what should I do? Could I get up, working out, and continue the fast until I get home at 7pm? Would this be healthy? would this destroy abilities for me to keep muscle? I could have a shake after my workout but then that breaks the benefits of the fast...I'm at a loss on what to do. Advise?

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    Get up, workout and fast until lunch. Martin recommends talking BCAA if there's a gap between training and eating, but I don't think that's strictly necessary.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Quote Originally Posted by Ghshl View Post
    Get up, workout and fast until lunch. Martin recommends talking BCAA if there's a gap between training and eating, but I don't think that's strictly necessary.

Sent from my GT-I9300
    That would work if I had a lunch break and could get home but I don't. I don't get home until around 7. The only way I could eat lunch is to eat out and that is expensive and terrible quality food.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Can't you bring food you can eat in your car? A little cooler or thermos?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Second the above. I would eat some things you can easily pack in the car afterwards...whey shake, Greek yogurt, fruit, oatmeal (if you're into that), leftover chicken, etc.

sqidmark is offline Member
    I also have long days. MWF, I get up at 4:45, stumble downstairs and work out till just about 6. Shower and leave for work by 6:30. Walk 3 laps around the block (with very steep hill) before manager opens. Break fast about noon with a couple hard boiled eggs and 2-3 strips of bacon. 3 more laps on my lunch break at 2:30, eat lunch at my desk. Get home about 8 and have dinner. Tues & Thurs, 24hr fast, eat at 8pm.

Just pack your lunch into a cooler of some kind to keep in the car. Use a thermos for hot foods.

thanks everyone for the responses. I guess probably bringing a cooler will be the best idea. with that said, can I still fast after working out? I don't really want to eat that early as that would break my fast. If I a "lunch" at noon or 1pm, then I would get in the fast benefits. But I don't want to sacrifice muscle growth by fasting after workout.

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    That should be fine. As I said, you can take some BCAA's if you're concerned.
    As long as you eat enough when you do it, you should still grow.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghshl View Post
    That should be fine. As I said, you can take some BCAA's if you're concerned.
    As long as you eat enough when you do it, you should still grow.
    cool, thanks!