Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Egg Dilemma page

Olives000 is offline Junior Member

Egg Dilemma

Shop Now
    I am currently buying omega-3 eggs from my grocery store, but I recently discovered a local farmer who sells eggs. He lets them roam the farm but feeds them grain . Should I switch to the farmer's eggs or continue buying from the grocery store?

ekba09 is online now Member
    If you can get farm eggs, you should do it. I am not an expert, but I think all egg hens get some grain feed.

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    From my local egg producers:

We get many questions that range from do you feed them soy, corn, wheat, etc....The answer is yes. Chickens can not live on bugs and greens alone, they must also get there minerals, vitamins and protein through specially formulated laying feed. The energy it takes for a chicken to lay 4-5 eggs a week is tremendous and they need a well balanced diet to do so. Please remember most current egg laying chickens are not wild animals, they rely on humans for safety and food. (however, I will admit I do have 1 or 2 birds that do choose to roost in trees and do choose to survive with minimal assistance).

A typical bird in the wild does not lay 4-5 eggs a week. A bird in the wild lays maybe a dozen eggs in the spring and hatches them. Majority of chickens are breed for egg consumption, which is around 250+ eggs a year, that requires tremendous amounts of food and a balanced diet. Each chicken eats 1/4lb or more a day, more in winter.

If you want an egg from a hen that does not eat soy, corn or wheat, we recommend you raise chickens on special diets that meet your needs. Not only is it fun and exciting, but you have ultimate control of what goes in your body. We are after all what we eat.

We do strive to make sure our eggs coming from healthy happy chickens that do not need antibiotics, that have constant fresh air for healthy lungs and are in the sun to soak up the Vitamin D that we so need. We work hard to make sure the eggs you eat are much better than a factory farm, where they live indoors, in tight confinement and cannot exhibit natural behaviors.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    farm eggs for sure.

and yes, all laying hens get some grain.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I try my damndest to buy local. When local doesn't provide, I go to online. My last resort is the grocery store.

Just my experience, but it seems like finding really well raised chicken, eggs, and pork is the most difficult - which makes some kind of weird sense when I see that CAFO chicken, eggs, and pork are some of the least expensive foods around.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I'd go for the happy free range local chicken eggs, myself.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

paleopeggy is offline Junior Member
    Local is always a safe bet, even if they're fed grain. The grocery-store eggs might say they're high in omega-3 but you never know for sure.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    No dilemma at all. If you can see the local chickens running around in grass, ever, there's a 99% chance they're better than the best eggs you can buy for $8/dozen in the grocery store. And cheaper. And better for nearly everyone, from the farmer to the biosphere.
    The Champagne of Beards

Olives000 is offline Junior Member
    Ok, I think I've made my decision to go with the farmer's eggs.
    Thanks so much guys!!

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure the omega 3 eggs are grain and soy fed also. Usually they just give them flax (more crap you shouldn't eat) so they can call it omega 3. Go with the local semi-pastured eggs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast