Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does this stuff "need" to be so complicated? page

Bear is offline Senior Member

Does this stuff "need" to be so complicated?

Primal Fuel
    We like the Primal idea. It makes sense. But when I read many of the posts here, what I am struck by is the sheer, mind-numbing complexity of how people take the Primal idea and apply it.

It seems like it should be simple. Mark's ideas are not complicated, but the applications I see here seem anything but uncomplicated.

Surely there are Primal adherents here who have cracked the code and made their lives healthier without making them more complicated. What's your approach? Seriously...

Thanks.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Nothing complicated about my basic version of primal. No crap food. I don't measure, weigh, count, or otherwise bother with much in the way of details.

Only complicating issue for me is that I have RA - so I have to do the autoimmune version of paleo. It is more restrictive, but still not very complicated
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Yup.

It comes down to not giving a f*ck. (About what everybody else thinks, that is.)

Seriously. Eat what you like, as much as you like. Do the exercises you like, as often as you like. Play, have fun, enjoy life, and screw what anyone else says about it. Screw what anyone else thinks of you and your appearance. I think the crazy comes in when people try to "out Primal" one another, or try to win some imaginary Primal beauty contest. Screw it.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    I definitely believe in easy primal

Liquid Gusto is offline Senior Member
    Many people take Mark's basic approach, see how it effects them, then continue learning about nutrition and tweak the primal diet for their body. For some, this means more carbs than recommended, for some less. For some it means eating low FODMAP, for some it means eating some potato starch daily. Some people prefer to just stick to the basic plan.

The nice thing about primal is, people can follow Mark's plan exactly or they can also tweak it to what works for their body.

For me personally, I'd find it stressful be stuck with basic plan without room to adjust to what my body is telling me. I enjoy learning about how different foods and nutrients effect my body. Others would find constantly tweaking stressful.

I think people who tweak Mark's foundation diet are searching for what their body responds to best because the basic diet isn't it. They aren't purposefully making it more complicated than it needs to be.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I go for simple here too. Eat the meat and veges. Don't eat junk.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Gusto View Post
    Many people take Mark's basic approach, see how it effects them, then continue learning about nutrition and tweak the primal diet for their body. For some, this means more carbs than recommended, for some less. For some it means eating low FODMAP, for some it means eating some potato starch daily. Some people prefer to just stick to the basic plan.

The nice thing about primal is, people can follow Mark's plan exactly or they can also tweak it to what works for their body.

For me personally, I'd find it stressful be stuck with basic plan without room to adjust to what my body is telling me. I enjoy learning about how different foods and nutrients effect my body. Others would find constantly tweaking stressful.

I think people who tweak Mark's foundation diet are searching for what their body responds to best because the basic diet isn't it. They aren't purposefully making it more complicated than it needs to be.
    Well, now I'm going to sound wishy-washy, but there is a lot of truth to this too I do keep things simple, but when I think about it, I also do like to try little tweaks here and there. For me, it's always the search for more energy. I do still keep to the basics for the most part, but I enjoy experimenting with new things too.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Just for me: If it walked, flew, or swam, and it hasn't been raised on pollutants in horrifying conditions -eat it and its byproducts. Learn the few types of plants that may be detrimental to health, then eat all the others. Don't eat so little fat that your hair breaks off and don't eat so much fat that your ass looks like a billboard. Address activity, strength, sleep, etc., as you need from what you've learned.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Artemis67 is offline Senior Member
    Some people really like to get into all the details, and constantly tinker with things, trying to get optimal results. They find that stuff interesting and enjoyable.

If all that doesn't appeal to you, there's nothing wrong with keeping it simple--because honestly, the core of it is simple.

My own version of Primal, for the most part, means eating nutritious whole foods, including natural fats; avoiding sugar; and eliminating grains and seed oils. It means incorporating plenty of movement and physical exertion into my daily life, rather than defaulting to convenience. It also means getting enough sleep, reducing/eliminating stress in my life, and enjoying "down time" as I need it. Basically, I do the things that help me be a healthy, happy human animal, and on a day-to-day basis I don't overthink it.

That said, it's normal to make things more complicated than they need to be when you're first getting started. There's so many different things to try, so many methods and ways of doing things discussed here, that it can seem far more complicated than it really is.

ETA:

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Gusto View Post

One thing I appreciate so much about these forums is that there is such a variety of techniques and experiences discussed here, rather than slavish devotion to Mark's guidelines. I occasionally lurk at other forums hosted by diet/lifestyle "gurus," and the lack of tolerance for experimentation, individual variation, or questioning of the "guru's" teachings makes them rigid, unpleasant places to be. I see even true believers mince words, bending over backwards not to offend. And if an individual is having trouble? They must not be following the Plan 100%, because the Plan cannot fail.

That lack of dogmatism here, and the tolerance of argument and dissent, and the encouragement to find what works best for the individual make this such a lively place. But the relative lack of hard-line principles, the acceptance of 80/20 adherence, and the emphasis on n=1 can make Primal seem almost Byzantine in its complexity to outsiders and newcomers.
    Last edited by Artemis67; 01-11-2014 at 02:29 PM.

Bear is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    These are great replies, and pleasantly helpful instead of dogmatic, which I appreciate. I've already learned a couple of things, and these have confirmed lurking suspicions I've had about what's wrong with our so-called "modern" way of life/diet. Thank you...I'll keep it simple.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast