Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does carb sensitivity = Insulin Resistant? page

splunky is offline Senior Member

Does carb sensitivity = Insulin Resistant?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The more research I read the more I feel confused. I have another post regarding Insulin Resistance and the protocol my nutritionist has me on for IR. Read another thread regarding this where a poster mentioned the 5 markers of Metabolic Syndrome. So I went to look them up:
    Abdominal fat
    High blood pressure
    Evaded Fasting glucose
    High triglycerides
    Low high density cholesterol.

While I don't completely understand all of these things, I know for sure I don't really have them. FBG was 90's, total cholesterol was just outside the normal of high (which from what I understand is nothing really), little abdominal fat (carry my fat on legs/thighs), BP is 95/68 or there abouts.

That said, I have a very difficult time with carbs in general, always have, since i did Atkins 10 yrs ago. Felt 1000x better with no grains (except for cravings, hair loss due to keto).

An interesting experiemnt I did was went LC (50 or less) and checked my fasting and 1,2 hr PP. they seemed elevate slightly. Fasting in the 90's still, 1 hr around 110 and 2 hr around 100. When I went back to higher carbs around the holiday and ate lots of goodies, I felt awful but my post prandial numbers looked better. Fasting was higher, @100. Post prandials, were in the 90's. Unfortunately I gained 10 lbs from water and likely fat storage as well.
    My nutritionist says this is IR absolutely. But I don't have any of the 5 markers. My numbers were taken at a time where I was releavtively low carb with bouts of higher carbs as well.
    So, my question is: is IR the same as carb sensitivity?

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by splunky View Post
    That said, I have a very difficult time with carbs in general, always have, since i did Atkins 10 yrs ago. Felt 1000x better with no grains (except for cravings, hair loss due to keto).
    Well I wouldn't use "carbs" and "grains" interchangeably. Grains are packed with unique inflammatory compounds unrelated to their glucose content. It's true that glucose can be a stressor when we abuse it (i.e. eating junk starch between meals) but it's never a foreign invader per se.

Best experiment: strictly avoid seed foods and include 1 serving of tuber, squash, or plantain with meals and 1 sweet fruit for dessert and check the results. Very few people should experience BG problems doing this once the allergens are out of the equation.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Greg Rx is offline Senior Member
    You are confusing metabolic syndrome with insulin resistance. Extreme insulin resistance is called Type 2 diabetes, a symptom of metabolic syndrome.
    A great common sense view of insulin and leptin resistance can be found in the works of Dr Ron Rosedale. This is part 1 of 2 Obesity. Cannot ignore insulin. It
    If you want a simple test for IR have your doctor run a FASTING INSULIN LEVEL. Fasting blood glucose levels mean very little. Those of us on a low carb, high protein diet will have altered insulin and glucose levels but they don't mean the same as for those on the carbohydrates roller coaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rx View Post
    You are confusing metabolic syndrome with insulin resistance. Extreme insulin resistance is called Type 2 diabetes, a symptom of metabolic syndrome.
    A great common sense view of insulin and leptin resistance can be found in the works of Dr Ron Rosedale. This is part 1 of 2 Obesity. Cannot ignore insulin. It
    If you want a simple test for IR have your doctor run a FASTING INSULIN LEVEL. Fasting blood glucose levels mean very little. Those of us on a low carb, high protein diet will have altered insulin and glucose levels but they don't mean the same as for those on the carbohydrates roller coaster.
    My Fasting Insulin was <2 (<23). I have Ben more or less primal for a few yrs with a month here or there where I go crazy and eat non primal. Is this indicative of Insulin Resistance or good?

Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Well I wouldn't use "carbs" and "grains" interchangeably. Grains are packed with unique inflammatory compounds unrelated to their glucose content. It's true that glucose can be a stressor when we abuse it (i.e. eating junk starch between meals) but it's never a foreign invader per se.

Best experiment: strictly avoid seed foods and include 1 serving of tuber, squash, or plantain with meals and 1 sweet fruit for dessert and check the results. Very few people should experience BG problems doing this once the allergens are out of the equation.
    With my new nutritional coach I am eating up to 50 carbs/day with an ounce of starch in the form of rice, potato, sweet potato, and will add berries when my blood sugar is stable (under 100 post prandial).
    I am interested in what you say and will try to implement that.

Greg Rx is offline Senior Member
    My Fasting Insulin was <2 (<23). I have Ben more or less primal for a few yrs with a month here or there where I go crazy and eat non primal. Is this indicative of Insulin Resistance or good?
    You are golden as far as insulin resistance is concerned.

Hannakb is online now Senior Member
    With my new nutritional coach I am eating up to 50 carbs/day with an ounce of starch in the form of rice, potato, sweet potato, and will add berries when my blood sugar is stable (under 100 post prandial).
    I am interested in what you say and will try to implement that.
    2 questions

How much rice/potato/sweet potato are you eating a day?

And what is considered normal BS levels? (Use different number system here)

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

I am eating 1 ounce of starch each day-very minimal until (according to nutritionist) my "blood sugars are more stable". She considers great blood sugars to always be under 100. Including 1 & 2 hr post prandials. Mine go up to 110 still w the ounce of starch. My fasting is usually 88-95.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rx View Post
    You are golden as far as insulin resistance is concerned.
    Really!?! She says I am Insulin Resistant based on my fat gain when consuming starch/grains & my blood sugar responses. Hmmm now I may need to reconsider a few things.

So would I just be considered "carb sensitive" then? Is that even a medical term or a lay term we developed due to not understanding how/why our bodies reacting to carbs the way they do?

Hannakb is online now Senior Member
    I am eating 1 ounce of starch each day-very minimal until (according to nutritionist) my "blood sugars are more stable". She considers great blood sugars to always be under 100. Including 1 & 2 hr post prandials. Mine go up to 110 still w the ounce of starch. My fasting is usually 88-95.
    Ok. So 1 oz = 6g carbs. I don't think that's going to effect your BS.

Also I ment what was normal range. As in 70-120 (or a little higher). I looked it up (in Australia it's 4-7/8).
    There's nothing wrong with your blood sugar levels.
    If you were fasting at 120 or above then you should be worried.
    Keeping it too low can put you in a hypo & do as much damage as a hyper.
    Your nutritionist is NOT a doctor, but seems like she wants to play one on the internet. Please go and see a doctor.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast