Thread: Toothpaste page

Toothpaste

Shop Now
    Hey everyone! I'm slowly converting to a primal lifestyle and loving it. I have a question, though, concerning toothpaste. My teeth are sensitive and I have a receding gum line on four of my teeth. I've noticed that my sensitive toothpaste (I don't know if I should mention the brand name--but it's probably the most well know sensitive toothpaste brand) is making my teeth even MORE sensitive. Has anyone had a similar experience? I've also noticed that the ingredients are filled with nitrates--a known carcinogen, not to mention fluoride, another controversial ingredient.

I know this isn't technically befitting for the recipe forum, but I wanted to ask if anyone has a great toothpaste recipe that they've used consistently and have healthy teeth? Also, what about marketed toothpastes? Are there any primal ones?

Any responses are appreciated!

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Since I had to have some periodontal work done 5 yrs ago, I use tooth powder and have done oil pulling. No tooth sensitivity or gum problems since. And, I stay far away from anything with fluoride in it.
    Sometimes I used just 1% peroxide to brush but that would end up causing sensitive teeth after a while. Baking soda can be to abrasive for my gums, so I use it sparingly.
    YMMV but, you might be pleasantly surprised at how oil pulling returns your gumline to its normal place. Do a little research on it.
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I recommend the products, instructional videos, and toothbrush found at orawellness.com. I also have a receding gumline and have to be careful & vigilant with my oral hygiene.

Oil pulling (I use coconut oil) seems to help my gums quite a bit. I'm lazy about it, but at least once a day, maybe when you first wake up, could be very helpful.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    I don't have dental issues, gum problems or sensitivity so can't comment on the effectiveness of my rather simple "tooth paste" but I do have clean teeth which, combined with an ancestral diet, does not get tartar build-up.

My paste is simply coconut oil, soda bicarb and a drop of peppermint essence.

I've also taken to having a rinse with alum, crushed and stirred into water. I've recently taken stock of how I shave, what products I use and really pared that back to a more natural shave, alum being part of that routine ... so I have it available. You can buy it already powdered.

Now, for something authoritative ...

I found this to be an excellent read: Xylitol | The Paleo Hygienist

... so, perhaps some xylitol into the mix? Gets you thinking about the age old advice around chewing your greens.

Good luck - I hope the ideas that folks have laid down give you some relief and bring you a more long term improvement.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post
    I don't have dental issues, gum problems or sensitivity so can't comment on the effectiveness of my rather simple "tooth paste" but I do have clean teeth which, combined with an ancestral diet, does not get tartar build-up.

My paste is simply coconut oil, soda bicarb and a drop of peppermint essence.

I've also taken to having a rinse with alum, crushed and stirred into water. I've recently taken stock of how I shave, what products I use and really pared that back to a more natural shave, alum being part of that routine ... so I have it available. You can buy it already powdered.

Now, for something authoritative ...

I found this to be an excellent read: Xylitol | The Paleo Hygienist

... so, perhaps some xylitol into the mix? Gets you thinking about the age old advice around chewing your greens.

Good luck - I hope the ideas that folks have laid down give you some relief and bring you a more long term improvement.
    good thoughts there.

out of interest, and you may be aware. you can use the alum block as a deodorant, i have been for 5 years now

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Yes, you can ...

I recall this being forced upon me as a child. Hippy parents, you know. Yes, even Hippies don't like to smell of pit sweat

I really should try it again. From what I understand, alum keeps the area really clean and so the smelly bacteria never get a chance to breed. You still sweat, but so you should.

KPaul is offline Member
    We try to avoid industrial compounds in our body products too.

For teeth…

Redmond Earthpaste

For underarms…

Thai Crystal Deoderant

For Hair…

J.R. Liggett's Bar Shampoo

For Body…

Pure Life Bar Soap

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    I make my own toothpaste using baking soda, salt and peppermint oil :

Homemade Toothpaste - An Easy and Natural Recipe

I like it and it seems to do a good job.

Deoderant:

All Roads Lead to the Pits : Homemade Deodorant | Crunchy Betty

And hairspray:

Homemade Alcohol-Free Hairspray that Works - Whole New Mom

Yes, my kids call me a hippie. I don't care, at least I know whats in the products I make.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    I just use the Tom's fluoride free stuff, but I don't have any major dental problems. According excessive sugar and carbs is probably more effective.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    I had several sensitive teeth and my dentist at the time told me to use Sensodyne which for the most part did nothing. I went to a new dentist who showed me the Xrays and said that I had 4 failing old fillings (30 years old) and needed crowns. The first dentist was a complete moron. Make sure that you have a check for underlying issues instead of a bandaid approach.