Thread: Yes, *another* ketones & pregnancy thread.... page

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member

Yes, *another* ketones & pregnancy thread....

Primal Fuel
    I had been reading the old ones through the search, but everything was from 2012 or earlier and I didn't know if there was any new info (at least that's all the search was bringing up for me).

So, not being totally lazy in starting a new thread :P

Anywhoo, I'm pregnant and at my first MW appt 2 weeks ago my ketones were at +2. I had been pretty strict with the paleo stuff as much as possible and hadn't eaten a whole lot that particular morning (pork sausage and a tomato a few hrs earlier). Diet thus far had been pretty minimal, just wasn't hungry a lot. A few days after the appt my appetite suddenly picked up so I know I'm eating much more (not crazy amt, but you know), so I'm hoping that's going to "fix" the ketone issue? I've upped my veggie/fruit intake as well.

My MW has no idea what paleo is, and I am not in the mood to fight/educate a health care provider on why my urine is not extremely alarming b/c of the way I eat. I rather just not have the ketones show up at all during appts (and from what I've been reading, if I'm correct, they shouldn't really show up during pregnancy anyway, amiright?).

Also, I hadn't drank a lot of water that morning yet b/c I didn't want to pee every 15 minutes while I was trying to have my first appt. and was told dehydration could also acct for high ketones.

I kept going back and forth on whether to post another ketone & pregnancy thread, but the more I'm reading and researching MWs have been known to discontinue care if you don't abide by their dietary changes if they keep seeing ketones in urine.

Just asking for some advice/tips/help etc.... Thanks everyone
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I think if you flip the diet to a higher carb count, it should do the trick.

You could carb binge the 2 days before each appointment, if you want to avoid the discussion. It'll be harder later in when you have weekly appointments, though. Update us when you figure something out or duke it out with your midwife. We're planning #3 for next year, and I've been wondering about this.

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you zoebird, I'm hoping that fixes it.

PaleoBreeder, duke it out? LMAO! Love that! I will make sure my carbs are on the up and up before appts, I'm working on keeping them higher right now anyway. I'm sure they'll be super high this summer since we'll have our garden I'll be eating lots of fresh fruits/veggies!! Good luck TTC
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates