Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journey - Elessar page

Elessar is offline Senior Member

Primal Journey - Elessar

Shop Now
    Ok, here's the thing. I haven't started yet. Ya see, I've just finished reading Primal Blueprint and I'm sold on the theory, blueprint, and the plan. But, I don't have the stuff: the food. So, I can't start because all of my resources are currently stacked against me.

I know that I have two carrots at home and half a stalk of celery, a few onions, and most of 5 pounds of potatoes (a lot of good those potatoes will do me) but I really don't have the assets to start. I have picked up a 6 ounce jar of macadamia nuts over lunch as well as some beef jerky and a 16 ounce bag of Blue Diamond Natural Almonds to get me though lunch today. (I had been woefully unprepared and succumb to the alure of the snack machines for candy bars and chips...arrrrhhhhhgggg!)

So, I need a shopping trip to gather supplies. This task in itself will prove a struggle because there is no good place to find non-GMO natural products close by. My wife is not going to join me on this adventure. At least, not yet. (Wait until she sees my startling results and then we'll see what happens with her motivation.) Shopping at the local Farmer's Market will be a very good option and there is a Trader Joe's about 45 miles North from where we live so I'll be trekking to those locals for supplies. Also, I have a close friend that raises grass feed beef and we have the space for a whole cow so that will be something that I will be investigating. Hopefully, my hunter-gatherer skills will improve next year and I can add some venison to the freezer as well.

I plan to capture some selfie images before next week as my "before" picture of what I look like at 234# (weighed this morning) and my progress toward my goal of 200#s. Of course, that a loose goal and I'd take a lean fit weight of almost anything if I can loose the fat, but this is a journey and not a destination, as is noted in my journal title.

So, it begins, but unlike many efforts, we are not trying to see what we can gain, but rather, what I can LOSE!

Statistics:
    Weight: 234
    Height: 6'2"
    Last edited by Elessar; 01-27-2014 at 12:41 PM. Reason: correct spelling errors

Who could'a guessed that a casual comment in an email to my wife yesterday would have generated enough interested on her part to investigate the Primal urges I have been feeling? Alright, not those kind of urges, but rather that I had finished the Primal Blueprint book and mentioned my interest in pursuing this fantastic life change ideal.

We ride to and from work together (what a huge bonus to our relationship) and when we rode home last evening, she turned to me and asked, "What do you want to talk about?" Well, I suggested a date this weekend and she deflected my comment with a question about going Primal. Well, you coulda' knocked me out. Well, it seems that she was motivated by my comment to research Primal during the slow parts of her afternoon.

Well, I was so excited, but before I could regurgitate the information that I'd learned from my reading, she announced that she was on board with the plan and asked, "when do we begin?" OMG, I want to marry this woman! (Wait, we already did that!) I was soooo stressed that she would think this was another one of my kooky plans (yes, there have been more than a few) that I was freaking out about how to tell her about my plans.

Relief flooded through me and I was euphoric. This is so fantastic. I have more than a few hobbies that she tolerates without really being interested in what I am doing but this is so much more than a hobby because of the depth and scope of the requirements as well as the effects. I was fully prepared to embark on this solitary journey but to find out that I have a willing partner is, well, wonderful, but to find out my best friend and partner is my companion is beyond wonderful. Who coulda' guest it?

So, we planned a investigative trip to the nearby markets to discover the availability of supplies and will be moving toward initiating the start of our journey, which we plan to "ease" into to prevent system shock. Oh, happy days ahead!

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations. I started Primal/paleo prepared to go it alone for my father and myself and it was such a relief when my brother read the books I pointed him at and came on-board as well. Though he lives 3 hrs away, knowing that he understands what I'm doing and why is a huge bonus. I've pointed a few other people at the same things and each one who says - yes, I get it - gives me someone else to talk to about all this. So good that you have someone right there you can share this with. Go for it!
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Working through the transition to full-on Primal Blueprint. I/we thought it'd be best if we didn't shock our systems by jumping from one boat the the other, mid-stream, but rather eased into the Primal Lifestyle. It also allows us to purge our refrigerator of the inventory that doesn't fit into the Primal Blueprint.

We tried a new dish last night for dinner that was a rare event at our house. Some at our house aren't big on change and it's a major achievement to adapt to this new plan. I make Spagetti Squash with Marinara Sauce last night and it was very good. We were both shocked since neither of us had ever heard of this type of Squash before and the recipe was great. Now we have new recipe in our go-to arsenal. Simple, easy, and very tasty!
    "The road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the road has gone, and I must follow, if I can." J.R.R. Tolkien

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    You are so lucky to have your wife on board. You two are going to do great!

I had intended to begin, in earnest today, by completely eliminating all grains as a means of completing my transition to PB. However, I am still not properly stocked to provide for my daily menus. So, I had a tortilla for breakfast with cheese and meat sauce. I know that this is not a menu option but I must figure out how to provide for breakfast and do a better job at having the inventory for lunches & dinners.

However, I have lost weight already. It's may just be water weight or coincidence, but I'm tracking this so it counts: 231.4#s. That's down from 234#s a few days ago. I used to weigh daily but fell out of the habit since it usually wasn't good news. This is encouraging.

Weight: 231.4
    Last edited by Elessar; 01-16-2014 at 07:06 AM. Reason: weight note added
    "The road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the road has gone, and I must follow, if I can." J.R.R. Tolkien

I cooked Tilapia and Butternut Squash for dinner last night. I just love my wife; she's not very big on change and she's taking my experimentation on our menus very well, even voting to have the squash again. My weigh-in this morning showed I'd lost another 1.4 pounds. I know most will not recommend to weigh every day, but my normal routine, in the past, was to hit the scale on my way into the shower each morning, so...I have been doing that for so long that it's a habit.

Weight: 230.0

Well, I fell off of the wagon last night and enjoyed tator tots and popcorn chicken for dinner. Wished I hadn't but can't be helpd now.

Weight: 230.0

This was a bad weekend that included fried chicken and potato soup. Oh well, back in the battle...

Weight: 228.2

Started my exercise program this morning. I find it easier to work out in the morning than in the evening. The evening seems jammed with the stress of the day including what to make for dinner as well as spending time with my best friend/wife.

Actually, it may be more correct to say that I've re-started my program because I used to work out every morning. However, I quit two years ago when my father-in-law came to live with us because of his cancer. He lost that fight last February and we miss him terribly. (I look forward to seeing my friend again some day.) I had been completing a comprehensive workout routine that I'll need to ease back into.

This morning I completed 25 pushup, 50 situps, 5 front planks, and 10 side planks. I've set a daily goal of 50 pushups, 100 regular situps, 40 oblique situps, 20 front planks, 50 side planks, 50 bicycle kicks, & 50 sprint kicks. I think that enough of a daily workout using body weight resistance. To that I want to add 10k steps walking, bi-weekly sprints sessions, and regular casual bicycle trips around town of 5-10 miles. This sounds like a lot and time will be tight, but I think I can work it in through out the week since we will have moved into town. (We currently live on a farm complete with chores and feeding.)

I enjoy these short workout sessions much better than going to the gym and absolutely love riding my bike.

Weight: 229.2 (up a little...)

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast