Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grain Free Cats page

sanepsycho is offline Senior Member

Grain Free Cats

Shop Now
    I have been feeding my cats a grain-free dry cat food for several years now. About a week ago I needed more cat food and didn't feel like making a special trip to the only store near me that carries the food so I bought the big box store brand dry food to make do. Wow, the litter box overfloweth! All those grains are making them crap like crazy! Lesson learned - make special trip, pay more $$$ for food and less for cat litter!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I do a mix of raw food & canned food for my cat. She puts on weight easily so dry doesn't really work well for her, even if it's grain-free. Whole Foods sells frozen partially-ground chicken necks & backs so that's what I mix for her with the wet food. She'll eat just the raw meat too, but I worry she isn't getting enough nutrients that way. When I cook whole chickens, I feed her the offal
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    my cat hunts so she gets whole rabbits and she also gets some of the dog's food. not a grain in sight. dog gets everything raw. chicken frames, mutton bones, chicken legs, chicken necks, a liver or so a week, several hearts a week, the odd kidney, green tripe, venison offcuts etc. he did get some of the kids GF pizza the other day and OMG never again. I have to lock him away when they eat it as he sits by the table dribbling. he may like the pizza but the pizza doesn't like him!

earthlymumma is offline Senior Member
    Try to feed as much wet moist food as you can. Dry food is so unnatural for cats. They should get all of their water from food. When I switched from dried food to a RAW (paleo) homemade diet for my cats , they hardly drink water now. They pee a lot more too. And poo SO MUCH LESS. LOL.
    Cats on dry food pee less, they are in a constant state of dehydration to some extent.

Commercial pet food is a massive scam. And its only been around for about 100years. Invented so they could travel dogs over seas on boats.

Commercial foods have grains as well as high carbs and (few) cooked protein. No wonder there is such a high incidence of diabetes, kidney disease, skin issues, allergies, obesity etc among pets.

Cats are obligate carnivores. They should have little to less than 10% carbs.
    The grain free diets are better, but still have fairly high carb. There are a few good brands though.

If you think to eat paleo yourself then so should your pets!
    It was starting my cats on paleo that opened my eyes to paleo for people.

Polecatz is offline Senior Member
    This is interesting. We are babysitting a cat so we are giving it the food we have been instructed to give it. Also he can't go out whereas he normally does. He's a young adult and is permanently starving. He doesn't have worms. His poo ***stinks*** and he wees a LOT, drinks loads of water. Prob cos of the dry food. I don't agree with dry food but he's not our cat so he's having that plus Whiskas. I have also secretly given him cream, full fat milk, cheese, pork chop, sausages (decent gluten free ones), butter and gravy (again decent gluten free with gelatine added). Initially I was told do not give cats these things yet people are happy to give them grains-wtf? If we had our own cats I would prefer not to give them dry stuff. It's like cereal-useless. You see the cat trying to eat it and it looks unnatural.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    I used to feed a pair of cats i had (long gone now ) a prey diet. It's strange i never twigged about paleo (for humans) at the time. I think i did look into a raw diet (not raw vegan) but as i was married it wouldn't have been practical.

I have now moved to a farm, divorced and got a new cat, he hunts but i want to move him to a raw/prey diet quite soon

Check out this site for a wealth of information on raw feeding. My three cats all eat raw. Two of which have eaten raw since they were kittens one of which won't even touch cat food.

It takes some time to do it right but it is really not all that hard in the long run. Canned cat food is expensive and dry food should be avoided. Is basically just meat flavored cereal.

Feline Nutrition & Raw Diets for IBD Cats

Timthetaco Guest
    Animals are going to have bowel problems when you switch brands of food whether grain-free or not. There are good reasons to get your cats off grains and dry food, but I just wanted to point out that's not one of them.

My grandmother has a cat that always pined for the outdoors when he was younger, and one day she got frustrated and let him out, and he's been an outdoor cat ever since. He hangs out around the neighborhood and hunts what he can while getting plenty of sun, then he comes inside and binges on the dry cat food and then promptly vomits it up outside, and the cycle repeats. I think he's about 14 now, and he seems pretty healthy.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sanepsycho View Post
    I have been feeding my cats a grain-free dry cat food for several years now. About a week ago I needed more cat food and didn't feel like making a special trip to the only store near me that carries the food so I bought the big box store brand dry food to make do. Wow, the litter box overfloweth! All those grains are making them crap like crazy! Lesson learned - make special trip, pay more $$$ for food and less for cat litter!
    Yes, I would eat grain-free cats. Totally primal.
    The Champagne of Beards

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Rich- lol!!!
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast