Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do You Enjoy Smoothies? page 3

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheBayou View Post
    Pre-macerating only speeds up digestion which results in faster, wider swings in insulin response.
    This is just not true. Macerating is only part of the digestive process. Blending or finely chopping foods will have no effect on their insulin response in your body.

Spinner is offline Senior Member
    I don't do smoothies too much, but when I do, I like frozen peaches and raspberries, egg, cinnamon, and coconut milk or cream. Why tooooo carby for me now though. I used to do smoothies almost every day for dd (she had jaw reconstruction surgery when she was in the 2nd grade due to the birth defect she was born with). Whee. So, anyway, I do make smoothies for her... in fact I did yesterday. Fresh organic strawberries, full fat yogurt, egg, whipping cream, cinnamon. I do frozen kale/collard green blueberry smoothies with coconut milk, banana, yogurt and egg.
    Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

I'm really enjoying the chocolate-almond smoothie posted on the website, with some changes:

1/4-1/2 can of coconut milk instead of 1/4 cup
    About a cup of Heavy cream or so
    a tsp and a half or so of Xylitol if I need it a bit sweeter.

So tasty, it makes me want another, but I am full.

I also add protein powder if this is meal replacement, or post workout.
    Last edited by Jaeden Ironwolf; 06-15-2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Forgot protein powder

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    This is just not true. Macerating is only part of the digestive process. Blending or finely chopping foods will have no effect on their insulin response in your body.
    I agree...

Also, given that the average person doesn't chew their food the recommended 20-50 times per bite, having the food pre-macerated as in a smoothie can only help the digestion process.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainer View Post
    I do, made an almond smoothie this morning. Helps break up the eggs each day and is good when your in a hurry as I was this morning.

2 Cups Milk Kefir
    1 Cup Coconut Milk
    1 wicked huge tbs of Coconut oil
    1 wicked huge tbs of Almond butter
    1/4 Banana
    1 Tbs Vanilla Extract
    I may have to try this when I have more kefir.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    It's too easy to take in too much calorically in a drink. I realize that with enough fat, that's not an issue, but historically smoothies have proven to start a binge with me, so I stay away. Y'all go on ahead and enjoy them, but I know my limits.
    I disagree. It's easy to make a smoothie little calories if you wish if you believe it so

I make all mine low carb unless I want the extra carbs when I run 5 miles or something...

Quote Originally Posted by kalewoman View Post
    I pondered the idea of a primal smoothie recently, but decided it would be gross. If enough people assured me that their primal smoothies are yummy, I would totally try one, if for no other reason than that my blender is one of my favorite toys. I used to do smoothies EVERY SINGLE DAY when I was doing "Eat To Live" (a very low-fat vegan diet). They were half fruit, half veggies, with a little fish oil and/or hemp seeds thrown in. Very yummy but WAY too high carb to be Primal, and I can't imagine the same smoothie being yummy anymore if I left out most of the fruit. But the two recipes posted in this thread actually sound like they could be edible. I want to know how many carbs are in them, but I'm too lazy to crunch the numbers. Oh well, lol!
    I have been making some awesome smoothies recently. With trial and error they can be 100% primal and very delicious. I am working on a recipe e-book...

Quote Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
    I make them for the groklings often, and enjoy a small glass as a treat. I also love them as a post workout recovery meal, or when I'm feeling ill and don't want solids!

Our faves:

1 can of coconut milk
    a handful of frozen mango
    a few slices of fresh pineapple
    3 handfuls of baby spinach
    1 handful of parsley
    a splash of real vanilla extract

And:

1 cup of heavy cream
    half a frozen banana
    a handful of mixed berries
    3 handfuls of baby spinach
    splash of real vanilla extract

(This one really is dessert to me, it's like a gorgeous milkshake!)
    Those sound wonderful! Not much protein, but thats what hard boiled eggs are for

Quote Originally Posted by healthseekerKate View Post
    I agree...

Also, given that the average person doesn't chew their food the recommended 20-50 times per bite, having the food pre-macerated as in a smoothie can only help the digestion process.
    Exactly! Smoothies are great for MANY reasons, this being one of them.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Just for info, the almond smoothie I posted today kept me satisfied from 5:30 am to 2 pm. I may try adding cocoa to the next one as Muay recommended.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    I think fruits smoothie can be part of a healthy primal diet. What's important is to know how much carbs you are putting in. I do a fruit smoothie everyday with 3/4 cup of coconut milk (sometimes I add 1/4 of heavy cream), and keep the carbs under 25 grams.

And the whole "you shouldn't do smoothies because Grok didn't have a blender" is a ridiculous argument! LOL!

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    I usually use raw organic cocoa powder, but it's optional. Still tastes good without it. When you get the balance right its great though had to do a lil trial and error until I got it how I like it
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    I think fruits smoothie can be part of a healthy primal diet. What's important is to know how much carbs you are putting in. I do a fruit smoothie everyday with 3/4 cup of coconut milk (sometimes I add 1/4 of heavy cream), and keep the carbs under 25 grams.

And the whole "you shouldn't do smoothies because Grok didn't have a blender" is a ridiculous argument! LOL!
    I agree 100%. Fruit is very healthy. Some people just need to keep the carbs lower then others which is fine. These people eat very little to no fruit. Many others like myself enjoy a few servings of fruit a day - mostly berries. I just picked up fresh raspberries at my farmers market yesterday. They might be all gone today!

And yes, not making smoothies because Grok did not have a blender must be a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by muaythaimike View Post
    I usually use raw organic cocoa powder, but it's optional. Still tastes good without it. When you get the balance right its great though had to do a lil trial and error until I got it how I like it
    Cacao powder is great. I enjoy a little bit in most of my smoothies as well.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast