Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Are Pickles Primal? page

  1. #1
    Primal Toad's Avatar
    Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,983

    Are Pickles Primal?

    Primal Fuel
    So, I am curious as these things are now in the fridge thanks to my mother...

    Are pickles primal? The ones she bought have kind of a lot of sodium and has yellow 5 in it... not so good.

    But, what about homemade pickles? I LOVE cucumbers!! Does anyone have a recipe?

    I remember enjoying cucumbers, onions, and vinegar before - I just need a recipe now.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

  2. #2
    maba's Avatar
    maba is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    489

  3. #3
    FairyRae's Avatar
    FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,996
    Lacto-fermented pickles are great, and IMO totally primal, or at least a 'traditional food' that is a great addition to a healthy diet (full of good probiotics). I find them very hard to get right personally (and I do make other fermented veggies, and they are easy) so I buy Bubbies Kosher Dills--my HFS carries them. My HFS also has other brands--just look for lacto-fermented, not pasteurized (or try making your own...I've used the Nourishing Traditions recipe 5 times, minus whey, and failed each time--pickle-making is just not one of my talents.)

    Google wild fermentation, there is a recipe on that site I've heard folks have had success w/. Good luck!

  4. #4
    Primal Toad's Avatar
    Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,983
    Thanks for your input guys! I will have to search for a good brand first and then I might try making my own down the road.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

  5. #5
    tangentrider's Avatar
    tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    Lacto-fermented pickles are great, and IMO totally primal, or at least a 'traditional food' that is a great addition to a healthy diet (full of good probiotics). I find them very hard to get right personally (and I do make other fermented veggies, and they are easy) so I buy Bubbies Kosher Dills--my HFS carries them. My HFS also has other brands--just look for lacto-fermented, not pasteurized (or try making your own...I've used the Nourishing Traditions recipe 5 times, minus whey, and failed each time--pickle-making is just not one of my talents.)

    Google wild fermentation, there is a recipe on that site I've heard folks have had success w/. Good luck!
    Another option--with a milder flavor--is to consume a jar of Bubbie's sauerkraut, then use the liquid to make the pickles of your choice. Good stuff.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

  6. #6
    Puddymama's Avatar
    Puddymama is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by tangentrider View Post
    Another option--with a milder flavor--is to consume a jar of Bubbie's sauerkraut, then use the liquid to make the pickles of your choice. Good stuff.
    Details, please! We are addicted to Bubbie's sauerkraut - I would love to re-use the brine to make pickles. What type of cucumbers are you using, and how long does it take? So excited by this!

  7. #7
    tangentrider's Avatar
    tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by Puddymama View Post
    Details, please! We are addicted to Bubbie's sauerkraut - I would love to re-use the brine to make pickles. What type of cucumbers are you using, and how long does it take? So excited by this!
    Absolute favorite cukes are Persian--seedless and tasty. I cut them in 1/2 inch or so chunks and plop them in the brine and can start eating them in a few days. Longer is better, of course, but who can wait!?
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •