Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ladies who lift - anybody keto as well? page

heatseeker is offline Senior Member

Ladies who lift - anybody keto as well?

Shop Now
    Long story short, because I really don't want to spend an hour recapping the myriad digestion/allergy issues I've had for the past six months: It's recently been made clear that I have a raging case of candida causing a horrifically leaky gut and thereby making me allergic to, literally, most foods. I'm down to meat, rice, coconut products, and select vegetables. Anything else makes me break out in hives.

I've been VERY resistant to going on a candida-killer diet (essentially a non-dairy ketogenic diet), because my weight training is very important to me (I compete) and I've had such enormous success on a higher-carb diet. All my carbs are very clean--literally, just sweet potatoes, white rice, and bananas--but they've been essential to my workout recovery and the incredible gains I've made in both strength and conditioning this past year.

But in the meantime, the candida is ruining my life, and the carbs are just feeding the monster. My nutritional therapist finally laid down the law and told me it's not going to get better until I go keto for a while and kill it.

I have now switched to sort of a modified keto diet, wherein I do only eat 50g carbs a day, but I front and back-load them around my workouts. 50g still seems insanely low to me, but apparently it's necessary.

My question is: am I going to be able to continue training and making gains as I have been? I know people may be confused by this because low-carb training was the "OG" style way back in the early days of MDA, but a lot of us experimented and have since added a lot of clean carbs in to boost training.

Any other ladies on here lift heavy, train hard, and make gains, while maintaining an extremely low-carb diet? Please reassure me. I feel like I have no fuel right now. At some point I'm supposed to switch over to fat-burning and supposedly make all my glycogen from protein through the liver, right? Or does that end up not being the case?

All I know is, I don't know anyone training at my level who eats low-carb. Most of my friends are paleo/primal but they certainly slam a lot of clean carbs on training days.

For reference, I lift 5 days a week, condition 3 days a week and do oly 2-3 days a week (obviously some of those things overlap).

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Heatseeker, I did anabolic diet, where I eat under 30 g carbs 6 days a week, then loaded carbohydrates 1 day a week (which was a very modest load, maybe 200-400 g carbs). For a while it was good, for about 60 days. Then I was hit by a near-faint and have to discontinue. I only walked, did not do any intense cardio at all, and lifted 3x a week on 5x5 regimen. I was doing well. I am not sure if dizzy spells was a luck of electrolites or carbs. That sequences repeated twice for me, both times with 6 weeks of doing well, then near-fainting.

I however did NOT do the 'no activity at all' during the first 2 weeks (and no carb-up) protocol. I just continued my normal regimen minus intense cardio.

On pure keto, with 30-50 g per day, I have never regained any energy and lived under water the entire time (40 days iirc). Fat burning never happened to me

Would your candida regimen allow you for 1 day of high carbs (~ 400-600 g?) if you drop carbs to near zero for the rest of the days? If yes, that is actually thought to be one of the most successful training regimens.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Love keto, but I don't lift heavy anymore. I do know that most folk don't allow enough time for keto-adaptation. I needed 2 months.

Check out the posts on ketosis and exercise at The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.. Peter Attia has some really great tips on keto-adaptation for athletes.

This post may be helpful, too:
    Primal North: Keto-Adaptation vs. Low Carb Limbo

And last, but not least: The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance: Jeff S. Volek, Stephen D. Phinney: 9780983490715: Amazon.com: Books
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 01-08-2014 at 01:36 PM.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

I was keto for a long time but switched to high carb low fat because I couldn't train/lift at all. I felt okay otherwise on ketosis, but didn't realize just how much less hyper I was on keto than on carbs until I added the carbs back in.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Blargh, I am supremely unreassured so far. Although I did buy The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance, and it's great so far (even though let's just say I'm skeptical), so thanks for that, Dragonfly.

Fingers crossed it works for you. It is a hard situation to be in

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You might consider another alternative which is to lift with maintenance as your goal rather than gains. It's all temporary anyway, right?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

I have read through the link Dragonfly provided, and I just wanted to confirm that I have never tried the <20 g carbs zone, my carbs was <30 target, and I normally would be in the 25-40 g total carbs. Net might have been below 20, but not continually. While it is an interesting idea, I don't think I get the chops to try it to see if I can get keto-adapted.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Oh- OP + leida:

I was okay on the steak and eggs (almost zero carbs for 5-6 days, then refeed). Search for steak and eggs on this forum. I did gain a tiny bit of strength. Nothing like my strength gains with high-moderate carbs/high-moderate protein/low fat.

The protein was relatively high so s&e isn't necessarily ketosis. OP you might tax your body with tons of neoglucogensis but you should aim for relatively high protein. Get gelatin to eat with muscle meat to reduce the stress load a bit.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Not yet, but I'm working on it.

I'm working on lifting heavy things at least once a week (in addition to body strength exercises 2 times a week) AND keto-adapting. I'm still scaling down my carbs and up my workouts, so it's hard to say what my results are. Also, I'm not competitive with my lifting, I just enjoy it and want to gain strength to beat myself - not anyone else. So it's hard to say what my results would be compared to anyone else anyway.

I'll definitely keep updating though!
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast