Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody here in to cars or trucks? page

not on the rug is offline Senior Member

Anybody here in to cars or trucks?

Primal Fuel
    So...like the title says...who is in to cars/trucks? what's everybody driving?

I've always been interested in cars and trucks and have driven a few cars in the past that I turned in to decent project builds. A really nice Nissan 240sx and a Nissan maxima were two cars that I've particularly loved.

I had a beautiful 2006 infiniti g35 sport sedan that I was either going to start a build on or sell and I decided to take the plunge and sell it. don't get me wrong, I loved that car, and the rear wheel drive, 6 speed manual, and 300hp are a great place to start. I just felt like doing something different.

So I bought a 2007 Nissan pathfinder LE. low mileage, great deal, clean as a whistle. So far I've done Rancho Quicklift Loaded struts in the front(2" lift) and Rancho RS9000XL shocks in the rear with Rancho Rear Spacers. I added Airlift 1000 bags to stiffen up the rear. For brakes I went with R1 Concepts Premium Series Rotors and EBC GreenStuff Pads. I threw in an Optima Red Top Battery too. For tires, I went with Toyo Open Country AT2 in 285-70-17 (33"). they have proven to be a perfect AT tire: great on road and great offroad manners. Then I put on some Spec-D black taillights. Most recently I've added an XTP Intake Manifold Spacer and had a custom Magnaflow exhaust bent up. I've modded the airbox (it remains a true cold air intake) and added a K&N filter. On the outside, I've stripped the rear badges, and painted the grill and rims black with truck bedliner. I plan on doing some more paint work when the spring comes.

Here are a few pics of me playing in the snow recently.

I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    My car knowledge is fairly limited.

but I had a 1974 VW baja Beetle for a couple of years. I now hate project cars haha. I was lucky to sell it to another local young enthusiast who has put a lot of love and work into it. I get to see him driving the car around town from time to time. He has since painted it black & red, and it looks pretty sexy.

Meet Franz. We called him the Thunder Pumpkin and I had ideas for a logo to put on the doors.

(Winter of 2008, maybe?)

Our back-up car is a 1986 Ford Mustang with a 2.4L engine from a Thunderchicken of the same year. It's a rust bucket, interior is semi-trashed, and the electrical is kind of vomited all over the place, but it runs! It needs to be inspected & have some exhaust work done to be safe.

And yeah, it has popping doors (I hate them and they are busted so you have to open the trunk & pop them from a line that my FIL ran back there).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

nice baja bug. that's awesome. I always got a kick out of those things. love the name. franz. I never really got in to naming my cars.

apparently you and i are the only people on this forum who drive cars. everyone else must take the bus. oh well...
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

brighthorse is offline Senior Member

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    apparently you and i are the only people on this forum who drive cars. everyone else must take the bus. oh well...
    To be fair, being 'into' cars and driving one are pretty different things
    My daily runaround is a 2000 Cherokee. Sexy? No, but super useful, especially in the winter. I've done nothing to it other than throw a K&N filter in it. I can't really justify the expense of modifying something that I see as a tool to use day-to-day.
    My bike, on the other hand, is a slightly different story. I have a 2007 Kawi Ninja 650 and, last winter, I decided it'd look a little better naked. Getting rid of the fairings meant wiring up new headlights and front signals, fabbing a mount for the gauge cluster, trying to pretty up the mass of wiring that normally lives behind the nose fairing and sorting out how to remount the windscreen. It's a work in progress, but I got it to a point where Inwas happy with how it looked and it was rideable (and legal), which is all that matters.
    I put some heated grips on it last year too (birthday gift from mister, ha!) and plan to do a little more tinkering with it before this winter's over.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    You're in Canadia and you ride in the winter?! Balls of steel (or ice).

I had a scooter (not trying to compare the two, just reminded me) for a couple of years. Great gas mileage, great for my short commute, but I didn't pick a great model so it only went 30 mph even with modifications. If I got another, I'd buy used and make sure it could be modified to go at least 35 to keep up with the traffic on my commute, if not 40 max . I like the look of older styles, especially the ones more bike-like, but the lack of storage space is a little sad.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    To be fair, being 'into' cars and driving one are pretty different things
    My daily runaround is a 2000 Cherokee. Sexy? No, but super useful, especially in the winter. I've done nothing to it other than throw a K&N filter in it. I can't really justify the expense of modifying something that I see as a tool to use day-to-day.
    My bike, on the other hand, is a slightly different story. I have a 2007 Kawi Ninja 650 and, last winter, I decided it'd look a little better naked. Getting rid of the fairings meant wiring up new headlights and front signals, fabbing a mount for the gauge cluster, trying to pretty up the mass of wiring that normally lives behind the nose fairing and sorting out how to remount the windscreen. It's a work in progress, but I got it to a point where Inwas happy with how it looked and it was rideable (and legal), which is all that matters.
    I put some heated grips on it last year too (birthday gift from mister, ha!) and plan to do a little more tinkering with it before this winter's over.
    nice. I like what you've done. that's what i'm talking about. off the shelf is boring. make it your own, ya know?

I've always wanted to ride a motorcycle. my dad used to ride Harleys and he had an old '72 Honda 450 in storage that i'd like to tear apart and rebuild and maybe ride to save gas when the weather is nice. i'm glad I never got in to riding when I was young and crazy. i'd probably be dead or in a wheelchair right now

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Meet my '04 Custom Harley Sportster XL. These are also known as chick's bikes, and no, I haven't given it a name yet. We haven't done any additional custom work either, cause I think I like it as it is.

Speaking of cars and trucks, Toyotas rule. My husband had bought a '01 Tundra as brand new, that was before we met and now it has over half million miles on it. Still drives perfect with only minor maintenance work done.

fastersteve is offline Member
    I've ALWAYS loved cars/trucks.

My mother said I asked for car magazines at 2 yrs old.

I've had several hot rods, a 4x4 Blazer that was too high to get in without jumping, my favorite was a '69 Mach 1 428 Cobra Jet Mustang that I bought in high school and kept until I got bit by the racing bug. In hindsight I should've kept the Mustang and sold something else to go racing.
    Having said that, the only thing even remotely close to the thrill of side by side racing is great sex. Can't live without both, couldn't pick one over the other.
    Here's my current "other woman"
    Miata.jpg

Then there's my Excursion to tow it and all the required fooforah for a weekend of racing. It looks like many other Excursions until I stand on the throttle. All you see then is the rear of it. And no, my fast ass Diesel truck doesn't blow big clouds of smoke. I hate that!

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    2006_SE-R_SpecV.jpg
    This is my 2006 Nissan SE-R Spec V. It has a cold air intake, as well as strut tower sway bar, NISMO aftermarket.
    The glory of hitting a winding back road (which is pretty much all of them in east Tennessee) and running through 1-4 (out of 6) gears is indescribable.

My sister-in-law makes a fair amount of fun of me for that, because she tends to hang out with dudes who like drag-strip cars (like modded Firebirds, for instance) and that mindset rubs off, apparently.

But, a quarter mile in a straight line is no challenge of driving skill. It is purely a test of reaction time and torque, and I could honestly not care less about who has more displacement. That's a dick-waving contest at best.
    I'd love to see a nose heavy, under-steering drag strip special come and try to carve The Tail of the Dragon/Deal's Gap Road. Well, rather, I'd love to see the fireball that resulted from the attempt. LOL.
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast