Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: All of my paleo pancakes taste like crap. page 4

TanyaV is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by GiGiEats View Post
    I actually made these awesome cookies that could probably be made into pancakes as well: Gluten-Free: Not You Too Santa! - GiGi Eats Celebrities

In fact, I really want to make them into pancakes because they are so good! Over the holidays I made them 3 days in a row! Even the pickiest, most unhealthy eater in the house LOVED THEM and requested them the following day!!
    I bet with a little experimenting that would work out nicely I would sub chia seeds for the flax though. Too many phytoestrogens in flax.
    www.feedtheclan.com

Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusberries View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    Awesome - I was just going to suggest plantains...I'm a touch obsessed with them the last few weeks
    Co-sign plantains. If I blend at high speed they end up thicker and fluffier than wheat pancakes.
    I add a bit of allspice, cardamom, and anise then dot one side with frozen berries during cooking.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Arrowhead mills gluten free pancake mix. Pretty delicious and makes actual pancakes and waffles. Not these faileo-they-sorta-taste-look-feel-like-pancakes-if-you-close-your-eyes abominations
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

lotusberries is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Co-sign plantains. If I blend at high speed they end up thicker and fluffier than wheat pancakes.
    I add a bit of allspice, cardamom, and anise then dot one side with frozen berries during cooking.
    They're the closest I've had to real wheat pancakes in both taste and how they cook. I even like them better than wheat. I'm not sure why everyone likes the banana pancakes. They're not that great and they're a pain in the ass to cook.

ToddAndMargo is offline Member
    Milkey Way, Sol, Earth, United States, Nevada
    Hi 88,

Coconut pancakes are really egg pancakes with a bit of coconut added.

Coconut pancakes are like cooking up a chemistry experiment. You have to follow exactly the process or you get a goo ball. This recipe took me about 1/2 a year to perfect. You will notice I give the directions in order that they are done. They must be followed exactly. No 2 cloves of garlic means 12 cloves of garlic. (Who me? I don't know whatsoever you speak of!) Every measurement has to be exact and done in the exact order. NO COOK's FLOURISH! Think chemistry experiment, not recipe. All measurements are "flat". No rounding or guessing.

Use a good Coconut flour. My favorite:
    Swanson Organic 100% Certified Organic Coconut Flour 1 lb (454 grams) Pwdr - Swanson Health Products

If you do this, I'd love to know the result

-T

Chez Amazing T's Coconut Pancakes:

Reference: Coconut Flour | Mark's Daily Apple
    Coconut Flour Pancake Recipe | All Day I Dream About Food

THERE IS NO BUTTERMILK IN THIS RECIPE (except the powder)

Ingredients:

Mix dries:
    1 packet Stevia powder
    1 shake cinnamon
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1 flat tsp baking powder, non-alumimum (Rumford)
    1 T Sweet Cream Buttermilk Powder -- optional
    1 spoon tip of Wilderness Poets Vanilla powder -- optional

Stir in before coconut flour:
    1/4 cup org heavy whipping cream
    then
    5 eggs

After stirring in the eggs and cream, stir in:
    4 flat T coconut flour; flatten with handle of teaspoon;
    Tablespoon must be dry; do not use a measuring cup;
    make four separate piles on top of the eggs mixture

Stir in last:
    3 T melted butter
    add lots of butter to the pan

Do not mix coconut flour and cream in the measuring cup together
    (it will turn into a clump).

Mix ingredients and let them sit for five minutes. Heat over
    medium/low heat (don't burn the butter).

Makes 8, ~6" pancakes. You can eat half of them at a sitting.

Taste much better hot.

~ 30.6 g protein

15 grams carbs per 1/4 cup coconut flour
    5 grams carbs for 5 eggs
    4 grams carbs for 1 T Sweet Cream Buttermilk Powder
    1.184 grams carbs for 1 tsp baking power (.148 g. per 1/8 t.)
    -----
    ~25 grams carbs / 10 pancakes

15 grams fiber

ToddAndMargo is offline Member
    Milkey Way, Sol, Earth, United States, Nevada
    Hi 88,

A wonderful topping: take about 4 T butter (1/2/cube), mash up some blueberries and/or raspberries and/or an apricot and melt in the nuker. Pour over the pancakes.

Tip: coconut pancakes cry out for butter! And, they taste best hot. Don't let the cool down or nuke them back to hot before serving.

Emseven is offline Member
    Another shout-out for the Paleo Mom's plantain pancakes. They're the BEST. I've used the same batter in my waffle machine with excellent results. Sometimes I add cinnamon and it completely disguises any plantain-y taste, if that's an issue. I have served these to non-Paleo friends (without telling them it was my crazy "health food") and they loved them.
    I think the original recipe calls for a food processor, and she purees the plantains as a first step -- I just bash everything into the blender at once, and it works great.

lotusberries is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Emseven View Post
    Another shout-out for the Paleo Mom's plantain pancakes. They're the BEST. I've used the same batter in my waffle machine with excellent results. Sometimes I add cinnamon and it completely disguises any plantain-y taste, if that's an issue. I have served these to non-Paleo friends (without telling them it was my crazy "health food") and they loved them.
    I think the original recipe calls for a food processor, and she purees the plantains as a first step -- I just bash everything into the blender at once, and it works great.
    I find they only have a plantain-y taste if I use yellow plantains. Never had them taste like plantains when I use really green plantains. I add everything together as well and purée with an immersion blender.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234