Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All of my paleo pancakes taste like crap. page 2

piggy is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    2 eggs - 1 ripe banana - some vanilla - half a teaspoon of baking soda- lots of butter or coconut oil. it takes some time to fry them ( they need low heat) but they are worth it
    I never had any success with no wheat flours.

Sent from my Nexus 4

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalgirl88 View Post
    I know a lot of you don't "bake" and just eat the whole foods, etc. But for those of you who do paleo baking with almond flour and coconut flour and all that, what recipe do you use for pancakes? I have tried a bunch of different ones and they all taste dry and odd and just not even worth it. I know they won't taste exactly the same … I'm just looking for a recipe that you have found that you liked. I have tried one with coconut flour and one with just eggs and bananas. Thank you in advanced!
    Hello, as a French I can tell you this: using coconut or almond flour for pancakes is irrelevant. You need a fair amount of starch, protein and a little fat to bind the whole thing into a good pancake. But wait, I am referring to crêpes, not pancakes. Those are thinner. Depending on what you want (salted or sweetened), the one flour I would recommend is buckwheat flour. You also can blend in gluten-free mixes (rice / potato / tapioca starch flour, as long as you get organic stuff). Buckwheat is best for salty crepes. Here is my quick recipe:

- 150g of flour (buckwheat and mix, proportion up to you: more buckwheat if salty crepes / wraps)
    - 3 large eggs
    - 3 cups of liquid (usually milk, or mix water and milk)
    - some salt / flavor of your choice (I like herbal salt, paprika and onion powder in my salty wraps)
    - optional: add a bit of melted butter or say bacon / tallow fat to the dough

I think the good proportion is : 1 cup of liquid for 1 large egg for 50g of starch flour

Mix well until very smooth, let it sit at room temp for at least 30mn with a towel covering the bowl of dough.
    Warm up a crepe pan, add a little fat that can take a rather high heat (ghee, CO) and make crepes as usual. There is very little room for mistake with this simple recipe

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    Read the title in a south african accent, and they'll taste like 'crepe' instead!

earthlymumma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    Hello, as a French I can tell you this: using coconut or almond flour for pancakes is irrelevant. You need a fair amount of starch, protein and a little fat to bind the whole thing into a good pancake. But wait, I am referring to crêpes, not pancakes. Those are thinner. Depending on what you want (salted or sweetened), the one flour I would recommend is buckwheat flour. You also can blend in gluten-free mixes (rice / potato / tapioca starch flour, as long as you get organic stuff). Buckwheat is best for salty crepes. Here is my quick recipe:

- 150g of flour (buckwheat and mix, proportion up to you: more buckwheat if salty crepes / wraps)
    - 3 large eggs
    - 3 cups of liquid (usually milk, or mix water and milk)
    - some salt / flavor of your choice (I like herbal salt, paprika and onion powder in my salty wraps)
    - optional: add a bit of melted butter or say bacon / tallow fat to the dough

I think the good proportion is : 1 cup of liquid for 1 large egg for 50g of starch flour

Mix well until very smooth, let it sit at room temp for at least 30mn with a towel covering the bowl of dough.
    Warm up a crepe pan, add a little fat that can take a rather high heat (ghee, CO) and make crepes as usual. There is very little room for mistake with this simple recipe
    Sounds yum. Whats the go with buckwheat? Is it gluten free?

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earthlymumma View Post
    Sounds yum. Whats the go with buckwheat? Is it gluten free?
    Sure, it has nothing to do with wheat at all. Buckwheat is a pseudo-grain, seed of a plant in the rhubarb family (if I remember correctly). it has quite a few health benefits, including the now famous resistant starches
    The "galettes bretonnes" are famous: buckwheat flour (farine de sarrasin or so-called "blé noir" in French, meaning black wheat - aren't we poets in France!), water and salt. Cooked in butter, and finished with ham, an egg and emmental cheese. You eat that with some apple cider to wash it down yummmmy!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Mine winning recipe is ~ 1.5 c of slow-baked sweet potato (or some part of it subbed for uncooked ripe banana), 5 eggs, spices and 1/4 cup of tapioca starch or rice flour, whatever I have in the pantry. Zoop potato/banana with eggs and spices with a hand blender, mix the starch with a whisk, let rest for a few minutes. Fry on a relatively warm electric pan (between 325 and 350) in butter, slowly. If the pancake runs after flip, re-flip.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Sure, it has nothing to do with wheat at all. Buckwheat is a pseudo-grain, seed of a plant in the rhubarb family (if I remember correctly). it has quite a few health benefits, including the now famous resistant starches
    Buckwheat does have gluten, but not the same as wheat gluten. It can be allergenic in its own right for some people (what isn't?). That's said, buckwheat is my favorite pseudo-grain, and when I chose to eat grains, I normally chose it because it's yummy or millet. I have never used the flour though, as it is normal to make it as hot cereal, savory or sweet in my cultural background. My fav buckwheat is buckwheat with mushrooms and onions.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Gino M is offline Junior Member
    1/2 banana mashed with one egg yolk, whip the whites and combine gently with spatula or soon, a little cinnamon, a little nutmeg, blueberries. Top with grass fed butter and REAL maple syrup (optional). Amazingly delicious and easy

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

biel88 is offline Junior Member
    This is my absolute favorite recipe, and I won't use any other. So easy! I usually fry mine in some Kerrygold butter and they come out perfect. They take a little longer to cook, but I crave them on the weekends. Paleo Spirit: Coconut Flour Paleo Pancakes

jturk is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, we love the banana and egg combination (1/2 ripe banana per egg), sometimes mixing in some cinnamon and vanilla. We refer to them as crepes now as well.

They're especially kid friendly - spread some almond butter on top with either a bit of honey or homemade jam, fold in half, and kids eat them as a sandwich. They eat em like they're going out of style.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast