Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Processed Food is NOT bad for you! Stop the madness! page

God
    God is offline Member

Exclamation Processed Food is NOT bad for you! Stop the madness!

Shop Now
    We've all heard it - processed food is bad for you.

But is it?

I say no. There isn't nothing inherently bad about processing.

All food you buy has been processed in some way. That bacon you love? Processed. Those steaks you buy? Processed. Yogurt? Processed. Cheese? Processed. Cream? Processed.

In order to completely avoid processed food you'd have walk up to a cow, stab it and start eating it right on the spot. Or suck on it's teets and drink milk straight from it's udder. Now that's unprocessed for you!

And guess what? When you cook food? You're processing it. When you chew food in your mouth? Processing it. When you digest it? Processing it!

HERE IS THE TRUTH:

It's not processed food that's bad. It's processed grain products. Processed grain products are what make people sick, and it's not even really the processing that's bad (the processing actually makes the grain more digestable) it's the GRAIN.

So don't be a processophobic who's always ranting about processed food this, processed food that.

Instead just continue avoiding all grain-based products and you'll be fine!
    Last edited by God; 01-07-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    You're silly

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    What about Gatorade?
    Or Heinz ketchup?
    Miracle Whip?
    Peanut butter?
    Popsicles?
    Velveeta?
    Hot dogs?
    Yoo-hoo?
    Soda?
    Spam?

God
    God is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    What about Gatorade?
    Or Heinz ketchup?
    Miracle Whip?
    Peanut butter?
    Popsicles?
    Velveeta?
    Hot dogs?
    Yoo-hoo?
    Soda?
    Spam?

So what if you can find examples of processed food that's bad for you? I can find never-ending examples of UNprocessed food that's bad for you. Doesn't mean anything. All I'm saying is processed food isn't inherently bad. Processing isn't some black magic evil process where they fill a food with poison. It's just converting raw food ingredients into a more eatable form.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Of course it depends on the process. Butchering - good. Separating cream into butter and liquid - good. Distilling and fermenting vegetables and fruit into vodka and wine - good. Grinding up inedible grains and legumes into flour - bad. Things that come in boxes that have ingredients that sound like they came from a lab - bad. Adding soy to canned tuna for no good reason except to up the profits of GMO soy producers - bad. Commercial pork rinds that contain soybean oil - not only bad, but damn near heresy.

The landscape is full of detours and pot holes. We must use our brains!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    So what if you can find examples of processed food that's bad for you? I can find never-ending examples of UNprocessed food that's bad for you. Doesn't mean anything. All I'm saying is processed food isn't inherently bad. Processing isn't some black magic evil process where they fill a food with poison. It's just converting raw food ingredients into a more eatable form.
    Nope, you explicitly said it's processed GRAIN products that are bad, and that it's the grain that makes it bad. You are wrong.

Furthermore, I have found that soy and certain oils are much more damaging (for ME) than grains are. I can eat clean grain products and not feel as crappy as vegetables cooked in canola oil.

God
    God is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Nope, you explicitly said it's processed GRAIN products that are bad, and that it's the grain that makes it bad. You are wrong.

Furthermore, I have found that soy and certain oils are much more damaging (for ME) than grains are. I can eat clean grain products and not feel as crappy as vegetables cooked in canola oil.

Yeah, you missed the point completely. My point is that virtually ALL FOOD YOU BUY IS PROCESSED IN SOME WAY. It's not the processing that's bad, it's the INGREDIENTS.

You talk about canola oil and soy being bad, I'm not disagreeing, but what does that have to do with processing? You're mentioning specific foods that are bad and I agree they're bad. But processing is not what makes them bad, foods like soy are inherently shitty food and no amount of processing or non-processing will change that.

I only listed grain products as the prime example.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    This is really nitpicky. Common sense knows what the connotation of 'processed foods' actually means to the general (Or MDA only, even) public.

Must be a tongue-in-cheek spinoff because of the 'processed oil' discussion.

Yeah, you missed the point completely. My point is that virtually ALL FOOD YOU BUY IS PROCESSED IN SOME WAY. It's not the processing that's bad, it's the INGREDIENTS.

You talk about canola oil and soy being bad, I'm not disagreeing, but what does that have to do with processing? You're mentioning specific foods that are bad and I agree they're bad. But processing is not what makes them bad, foods like soy are inherently shitty food and no amount of processing or non-processing will change that.

I only listed grain products as the prime example.
    Clearly, you missed the point.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, you missed the point completely. My point is that virtually ALL FOOD YOU BUY IS PROCESSED IN SOME WAY.
    Here's what I bought at my last shop:
    Eggs
    Bananas
    Mushrooms
    Tomatoes
    Onions
    Carrots
    Cucumber
    Butter
    Cream
    Yoghurt
    Bacon
    Tinned Tomatoes
    Chickpeas

Now, I accept that there's a moderate amount of 'processing' in the fractionation of dairy milk into butter and cream. But really the only things to quibble about there that I see are the bacon (can't find any that has no added sugar) and the Yoghurt, which is the industrial equivalent of real yoghurt.

That's hardly 'virtually all'.

I think a good rule of thumb is if it comes sealed in plastic, with a long ingredient list, and will keep on your shelf for weeks, it's not real food.

p.s. I've recently started experimenting with sourdough, so I don't think it's even all wheat, let alone demonising graings like rice and oats.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast