Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Processed Food is NOT bad for you! Stop the madness! page 2

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    What I avoid is food with chemicals, preservatives, GMO, pesticides, ingredients I don't recognize or can't pronounce, or an appearance that is so radically different from what it looked like in real life that it's no longer recognizable. I'm sure there's more. I mean, ok, a steak- processed, really? It's been butchered, but I don't consider that truly being a "processed food". By your definition, all produce is "processed" because it's been harvested and sent to the grocery store. Those things don't count, IMO. But when you superheat it, add a bunch of dyes, preservatives, form it into a shape, package it in plastic and give it a shelf life of months or years...that's processed. At least, that's how I approach my own diet. I eat fresh meat, fresh vegetables and fresh fruits. About the only processed goods I eat are condiments (because I'm too lazy to learn how to make them from scratch and they don't represent more than a blip in my overall diet).
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I suppose by the OP's definition, the only way any of us can avoid "processed" foods is to become raw vegan. And harvest the fruits and vegetables ourselves. I've been doing it all wrong all this time!

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    You do know you're not actually God, right?
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I suppose by the OP's definition, the only way any of us can avoid "processed" foods is to become raw vegan. And harvest the fruits and vegetables ourselves. I've been doing it all wrong all this time!
    Just make sure you don't wash or peel your fruit and veggies...
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Don't digest foods!!! Processing!!! Omg.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You're quite wound up about this, God.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Great. Another thread about the definition of "processed"
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

iconoclast79 is offline Member

Thumbs down

Worst OP in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    We've all heard it - processed food is bad for you.

But is it?

I say no. There isn't nothing inherently bad about processing.

All food you buy has been processed in some way. That bacon you love? Processed. Those steaks you buy? Processed. Yogurt? Processed. Cheese? Processed. Cream? Processed.

In order to completely avoid processed food you'd have walk up to a cow, stab it and start eating it right on the spot. Or suck on it's teets and drink milk straight from it's udder. Now that's unprocessed for you!

And guess what? When you cook food? You're processing it. When you chew food in your mouth? Processing it. When you digest it? Processing it!

HERE IS THE TRUTH:

It's not processed food that's bad. It's processed grain products. Processed grain products are what make people sick, and it's not even really the processing that's bad (the processing actually makes the grain more digestable) it's the GRAIN.

So don't be a processophobic who's always ranting about processed food this, processed food that.

Instead just continue avoiding all grain-based products and you'll be fine!

Timthetaco Guest
    White rice is a refined grain. Asia handles it pretty well.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Even digestion is processing.

I think that the OP is suggesting that we need to all learn to metabolise the sun's rays directly:

Man lives for 11 years eating only sunlight - English pravda.ru
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast