Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Potato Hack Diet Winter 2014 page

MsSmith is offline Senior Member

Smile Potato Hack Diet Winter 2014

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Page 1 of the Fall 2013 thread:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1345504

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Time for a new Potato Diet thread...thanks, Terry H., for the prompt!

After Mark Sisson's post today on tubers, I'm not sure what Mark thinks of them. I think potatoes are a good source of vitamins, nutrients, carbs, and protein. They are certainly a staple for me, I probably eat 2-3 pounds a week, not with every meal or even every day, but I consider myself a regular consumer of potatoes.

Throughout history, people have survived--and thrived--on a diet consisting wholly of potatoes. Prisoners of War were often fed just potatoes for months or years and they came through it in fine shape. Criminals in prisons were often fed only potatoes and thrived. People in famines or times of war were often forced to eat potatoes and survived well.

A couple of articles from the 1840's recently surfaced at Free The Animal and I'd like to repost them here:

And another:

So, here's the gist of the potato diet: As a quick way to lose fat, eat nothing but potatoes for a week or two. As seen above, you can gain weight if you eat too many, so don't overeat. Try to eat 2-3 pounds per day as plainly as possible. No butter, sour cream, no milk, no eggs--just potatoes. Nearly everyone who tried this last year in the numerous threads and on many different website forums found they could effortlessly lose 1/2 to 1 pound per day and keep the weight off afterwards. It's not water-weight, it's fat!

Page 1 of the Resistant Starches Thread

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1037428

I posted this in the potato thread, but figured since so many of you are tired of taters, I'd post here, too.

My latest rabbit-hole is resistant starches. Apparently these are very, very important but rarely talked about because they are so easy to get on the SAD. They are mostly found in grains, seeds, and legumes, but also in potatoes and rice. HOWEVER, the potatoes and rice must be cooked and cooled for the biggest effect.

This study shows resistant starches with meals increase fat oxidation that is biologically relevant and could be important for preventing fat accumulation in the long term by effecting total fat balance:
    Resistant starch consumption promotes lipid oxidation

Resistant Starches also are converted to butyrates in the large intestine which are a short chain fatty acid. These short chain fatty acids feed the colon flora and protect against whole body and colon inflammation.
    Read more: Whole Health Source: Butyric Acid: an Ancient Controller of Metabolism, Inflammation and Stress Resistance

"

So, please let your takeaway from this be: Think about adding a source of resistant starch to you diet...cooked and cooled potatoes and rice are specifically mentioned anywhere you see the term 'resistant starch'.
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    CW: 158 GW: 130 CBF%: 24.38
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

More

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    As for basic rules (TaterOtzi feel free to correct):

1. Eat 2 meals of potatoes a day. Lunch & dinner (fasting & coffee until lunch) works for most.

2. Eating plain potatoes for lunch and fancier potatoes for most (otzi suggested this). Example: boiled potato for lunch, baked French fries for dinner.

3. No more than 1tbsp oil or fat per 2 lb potatoes.

4. No more than 10g of added protein per meal. If you need protein in your diet, it is suggested to just have a separate meal of protein & then a potato meal. 5 hr separation.

5. Keep boiled or baked potatoes on hand in fridge for snacking and hunger.

6. Eat to satiety, not stuffed full. Should be about 800-1600 cals depending on your caloric requirements.

7. Drink tons of water. (Epicurie mentioned this).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post972088

I have been dying to unleash this fat-busting trick on you guys, but I have been kind of holding back because it seems so impossible. It works. It works really well if you are a fat-adapted, fat-burning primal animal because you will go straight into burning your own fat!

Here's what you do to lose 1/2 to 1 pound a day for up to 14 days. Eat potatoes. The only thing else you can eat is salt (sparingly), vinegar (all you want), hot sauce, ketchup (very sparingly), soy sauce (very sparingly and only fermented), spices--especially cayenne pepper.

Edit 12/21/12:

They have taken to calling it the “Potato Reset” and it’s been especially popular around the holidays. We look at it as a way to “reset” your eating, weight, and relationship with food.

These are the rough guidelines we came up with for the best version of the Potato Reset:

1. Plan on eating mostly potatoes for 5-7 days (90%+ of calories)
    2. Eat between 2 and 4lbs of potatoes daily, include cooked and cooled daily!
    3. Unlimited coffee, tea, and water.
    4. Spices, salt, pepper, and vinegar OK.
    5. Lifting of Heavy Things discouraged, think ‘de-load week’ Lifting light things/walking OK.
    6. All normal supplements OK to continue
    7. IF’ing, especially by skipping breakfast encouraged.
    8. If you need to lose more weight, alternate the “Potato Reset” diet with healthy Primal Blueprint in 5-7 day increments.
    9. Not recommended for people who eat every 2-3 hours, have glucose issues, or have eating disorders.
    10. Highly recommended for people who have their hunger under control, have been eating PB style for 6 months or more, and are having trouble losing weight with the normal approaches.

Some suggested reasons this works so well:
    - Food Reward/Satiety
    - Calories Restriction
    - Resistant Starch/Butyrate/Gut Flora Connection
    - Insulin Sensitivity Regained
    - Ketosis from calorie restriction/butyrate forming short chain fatty acids
    Last edited by MsSmith; 01-10-2014 at 08:44 AM.
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

More

Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Just wanted to add that when I did this during the Super Secret Potato Project
    (thread in Odds and Ends), I did half regular potatoes and half sweet potatoes or yams.

It didn't make a lick of difference and I still lost a whack.

Just sayin', for the ones that asked.

Sweet potatoes are absolutely "more tasty" (to me), but I still can't power them down
    like candy or anything.

Full on a potato, is full on a potato already. End of story.

Good luck folks!

Julia

p.s. i kept my coffee, milk, heavy cream and stevia as well... just one cup a day though.

Editing to add more info:

The potato hack works better if you refrigerate or even freeze your cooked potatoes before eating them. You can eat them cold or re-heat them. Some suggest re-heating them is better, resistant starch-wise.

Potato peels have high levels of salicylates in them. Salicylates can cause new or worsening joint pain. If you are eating your potatoes with the peels on and experience this, try eating them peeled instead.

Heavy exercise is not recommended on days when you do the potato hack because of the decrease in protein being consumed, risk of muscle loss. Cardio exercise is OK though, if you feel OK while doing it.

Most have posted that they feel full while doing the potato hack, but some have posted that they don't feel satiated.

Some people weigh their potatoes before cooking them and some people weigh them afterwards. I weigh mine afterwards because they are noticeably reduced in size and weight after cooking. If you are tracking your calories, maybe be sure to check and see if your tracker lists potato weight as cooked or uncooked. I was surprised to see how much less my potatoes weigh after peeling them, so I also weigh mine after I peel them.

If there are more questions and answers about the PHD that come up, I will edit this post again with that information.
    Last edited by MsSmith; 01-08-2014 at 05:02 AM.
    48 - 5'7.5"

AuroraB is online now Senior Member
    O.K. I'm in. Again.

Thanks MsSmith, for taking the time to find those posts. They'll be really helpful for everyone.

The holidays zapped every last bit of my usually strong willpower over sweets. I'm now back to square one (the weight before I did the last potato hack).

Here's to another round!
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    O.K. I'm in. Again.

Thanks MsSmith, for taking the time to find those posts. They'll be really helpful for everyone.

The holidays zapped every last bit of my usually strong willpower over sweets. I'm now back to square one (the weight before I did the last potato hack).

Here's to another round!
    You're welcome AuroraB. Best of luck to you!

I got back on the treadmill today, first time since Dec. 21, best I can tell. I am 2.6 pounds over my lowest weight on lower fat/carb primal/potato hack. I expected that number to be a lot higher considering the holiday food and lack of treadmill every day...
    48 - 5'7.5"

FrenchFry is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MsSmith View Post
    [...]
    My wife and I are in. We fasted the whole day yesterday to start from scratch. First meal in half an hour, baking right now about 4lbs of potatoes with herbal salt, pepper, rosemary and paprika powder.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    My wife and I are in. We fasted the whole day yesterday to start from scratch. First meal in half an hour, baking right now about 4lbs of potatoes with herbal salt, pepper, rosemary and paprika powder.
    Best of luck to you both! For best results, cooked and then refrigerated cold potatoes (and then reheated, if you like) work best. Refrigerator cooling cooked potatoes turns them into a resistant starch. From above:

This study shows resistant starches with meals increase fat oxidation that is biologically relevant and could be important for preventing fat accumulation in the long term by effecting total fat balance:
    Resistant starch consumption promotes lipid oxidation

Resistant Starches also are converted to butyrates in the large intestine which are a short chain fatty acid. These short chain fatty acids feed the colon flora and protect against whole body and colon inflammation.
    Read more: Whole Health Source: Butyric Acid: an Ancient Controller of Metabolism, Inflammation and Stress Resistance

"

So, please let your takeaway from this be: Think about adding a source of resistant starch to you diet...cooked and cooled potatoes and rice are specifically mentioned anywhere you see the term 'resistant starch'.
    Last edited by MsSmith; 01-07-2014 at 08:29 AM.
    48 - 5'7.5"

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    For a potential newb who is considering trying this out: do the cooked-then-cooled potatoes have to be eaten cold, or can they be reheated?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    For a potential newb who is considering trying this out: do the cooked-then-cooled potatoes have to be eaten cold, or can they be reheated?
    Cold or re-heated. I was editing with that info when you posted.

I reheat mine because they are easier to mash.
    48 - 5'7.5"

sabrina90 is online now Senior Member
    Thanks for starting this thread Ms Smith!
    nameless wonder, potatoes can be reheated after cooling well. Supposedly that even increases the amount of RS.

I am currently starting day 5. Unfortunately I don't have a scale, so I am basing my results off of how I feel, look, and fit into my clothes. My favorite jeans were a bit tight after the holidays so after this week I plan on trying them on again and gauging progress from there.
    I felt a little low energy on my walk yesterday but nothing major. Is it recommended that we don't do heavy exercise just because it would make us too hungry for the potatoes to really satiate us? I was thinking about going to the gym later but won't if that's the case.
    For me, appetite is definitely lowered yet hunger is still there. Is this what most have found?
    Today will be cold boiled reds for lunch and then probably just baked russet rounds for dinner. So easy, no fat involved, just slice, put on non stick foil, pop in the oven, and forget about them for a while.

Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast