Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Potato Hack Diet Winter 2014 page 34

SJW2 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    So just to update, I ate my first non potato meal in 4 days this morning.

I don't use a scale, but there definitely was some difference on the body fat caliper. Not quite as much as I expected, but good enough. I also probably ate a little more than others - close to 3 pounds or maybe a smidge more a day.

My biggest concern was muscle/strength loss. I went to the gym for the first time since Friday today. I did have some losses, though not terrible. I lost a rep on bench press, 2 on deadlifts, and my squats were sort of a mess .. though I was having some weird issues with them before anyway. They definitely fatigued me more than I expected. I suppose given 4 days of severe calorie restriction and half of a 5th day of minimal eating (had eaten about 1000 calories for the day prior to the workout, but about 2000 after). Overall, so-so satisfied. Was really hoping for no strength loss, but perhaps that was hoping for too much. Was hoping for a little more fat-loss, but I suppose overall my expectations were a tad too lofty.

I was DEFINITELY surprised by how little I felt hungry and good I felt throughout. I felt light (probably from lack of food in my belly) in a very pleasant way. Just felt relaxed. Nice not stressing about food. Body almost seemed to enjoy the break. So I really liked that part. I would consider doing this again at times.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Does the potato hack work because it traps bile and prevents it from reentering the bloodstream? Is all that bile the calories that magically vanish?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

nettasaura is offline Senior Member
    Today is day 1 of my second potato hack. I've been bouncing around between 1-2 pounds over my ending weight on the last hack, but I'm female and hormonal, so that's also completely normal for me. I am thrilled that I didn't go and gain that whole 5 pounds back despite eating normally. I might make a monthly habit out of this if it continues to be such an effective weight loss tool. This morning's pre-hack body measurements were also the same as my ending measurements for the last hack, so I haven't gained any girth in the last month either. Too cool! Found out that organic gold potatoes at Trader Joe's are cheaper than the grocery store, plus they are bigger which means I lose less to peeling. I ended up getting 5 bowls of mash out of one 4lb. bag instead of the barely getting 3 out of the more expensive 3 lb bags from the other store. Also still had my tea with honey and cream, but only one instead of the two I've been having lately. Hoping for another 5 lbs this round...more would be heaven lol! Matter of fact I am strongly considering this cycle as my monthly weight loss hack and eating at maintenance for the rest of the month.

Day 1: 232 - Starting weight
    Day 2:
    Day 3:
    Day 4:
    Day 5:

LindyCG is offline Senior Member
    I've been lurking on the forums for a bit but this potato hack thread inspired me to try the potato hack for a few days, and I wanted to post the results.

Stats - Female, 5'8", 31 years old

Day 1: did not weigh myself because I was hungover and almost overslept for a 5k run
    Day 2: 185.3
    Day 3: 183.6
    Day 4: 182
    Day 5: 181.1
    End: 180.6

I won't lie, I was hungry a lot of the time and my GI tract reacted strongly to so many potatoes. On Day 2 I actually had a hard time sleeping because of the hunger and the rumbling in my GI tract. The hunger got better the last few days, though it did not go away - eating cooled potatoes seemed to help, and I was fine going to sleep the last 3 nights, but I was very hungry in the afternoons. I intended to do 2-3 more days of potatoes but this morning I really did not want to.

On the plus side - I bought some potato starch a few weeks ago after reading about resistant starch on the forums. I added one tsp to a smoothie and it gave me horrible heartburn, so I had not tried it again. Today I figured that my gut had to be more used to resistant starch by now so I added 2 tbsp of potato starch to a green smoothie this morning, and I did not have any reaction to it.

I want to eat more normally for a few days, then go back on the potato hack for another 3-4 day round. Does anyone have any suggestions about how far I should space out more potato days? I don't want to do this for too long and mess with my hormones, but this worked so well I'd like to try it again soon.

MsSmith is offline Senior Member
    Been doing the PHD every other day with lower carb/fat primal days and haven't lost/gained weight. This is very good as I haven't been able to treadmill in more than a week. Usually, when I don't treadmill, I gain.
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    CW: 158 GW: 130 CBF%: 24.38
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

caveBEE is offline Junior Member
    So here is my latest update after a few of weeks of experimenting with the hack (my initial post is a few above): I still LOVE potatoes, I have kept most of the initial weight loss off, but here is what has transpired between my last post and now. We had a weekend away, which involved some very delicious and non primal foods, which of course sent my weight back up a bit. Then I went back to eating potatoes all day again, but would still break for a meat day every 2 or 3 days, whatever suited our social schedule.
    My lifts are all still great, no real deterioration per se, just some differences because we have changed our routine a bit. I still get very full on 2-4 pounds of potatoes if that is the days menu, and also still find that the biggest benefit, next to the lack of hunger of course, is still the way it seems to crush my cravings. These are truly the benefits for me... it leads to less eating, and less preoccupation with food. And by the way, making things super easy, I have basically taken the potato selection down to peeled yellow potatoes, boiled or microwaved, cooled or fresh cooked or reheated... that's it... and I adore them. I can't see this working if you end up not being able the stand the thought of eating them.
    At this point, I am trying to now adapt things a bit, as I don't think any mono food diet is the best plan for the very long term. I have just started adding some protein to the potato days. Yesterday I put 2 over easy eggs on my lunch potatoes. It was divine . I will be interested to see how this addition impacts my hunger and cravings and of course weight. Time will tell. Experimentation continues.
    Bacon is NOT the problem...
    check out our sometimes not so primal side at http://superfoodies.wordpress.com/

nettasaura is offline Senior Member
    Day 2 and not as hungry as yesterday. Had my tea with half the cream, but then also had a serving of kefir. Off to cook another batch or I won't have any for dinner!

Day 1: 232.0 - Starting weight
    Day 2: 231.0
    Day 3:
    Day 4:
    Day 5:

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    This sounds interesting. Just curious, has anyone tried having a normal breakfast (eggs, sausage), then just potatoes for the rest of the day?

If so, does it still work fairly well, or does it render it pointless? (sorry if this has been addressed already--I don't feel like reading through 34 pages, plus a previous post =P)
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

MsSmith is offline Senior Member
    There is info about adding protein and fat to the diet on the first 2-3 pages.
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    CW: 158 GW: 130 CBF%: 24.38
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    That works, thanks.
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast