Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Potato Hack Diet Winter 2014 page 33

SJW2 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFinder View Post
    I've done the hack to a limited extent. My longest go of it was 2 days on, then caved for a day, then 2 more days on, then caved again, then 1 day on. I got down to a couple lbs of my goal weight, lost about 5lbs total.
    But it all came back within a couple weeks.
    I'd like to try it again, maybe 1 day on, 1 day off. Or two days interspersed throughout the week. I wonder if spreading it out and losing slower might prevent regains...??
    Thanks.

Yeah I wonder if spreading it out will prevent regain too. And I also wonder if, when someone does regain, it is for the same reasons as general calorie restriction.

FireFinder is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SJW2 View Post
    Thanks.

Yeah I wonder if spreading it out will prevent regain too. And I also wonder if, when someone does regain, it is for the same reasons as general calorie restriction.
    I think for me, after a couple days of just potatoes, I went overboard, over ate, over indulged. I feel like if did the PH again, and was really diligent about not over eating in the following days, i'd have had better luck!

lotusberries is offline Senior Member
    So hopefully this thread is not totally dead. I sort of asked this before, but maybe more pointedly: I am curious people's experience with muscle loss and weight rebound. Those are the two obvious concerns. I'm interested in trying this. I was also thinking of doing it on Saturdays and Sundays and retain a lifting program on MWF. Not sure if the low calories so soon after weight lifting would be too much for my body. But mostly I'm curious about the muscle loss and weight regain. Muscle loss would be tough to judge. But perhaps weaker #s in the gym would be a sign.

Also, while I'm open to this obviously, I am just wondering if this is just another crash diet. Hope I'm wrong!
    I've done this 4 times, for 5-8 days. Lost around 5-8lbs each time and that weight never came back. No clue about muscle loss but I haven't noticed any difference.

SJW2 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusberries View Post
    I've done this 4 times, for 5-8 days. Lost around 5-8lbs each time and that weight never came back. No clue about muscle loss but I haven't noticed any difference.
    Awesome! Good for you. When was the first time you did it? Sometimes the weight regain is slow. But I suppose that is really always a risk when you lose weight.

Awesome! Good for you. When was the first time you did it? Sometimes the weight regain is slow. But I suppose that is really always a risk when you lose weight.
    First time was in October. I did a week in October, a week in November, a week in December, and a week in January. I decided not to do it again in February because I'm doing some resistant starch/probiotic experimenting, but I think come March I'll do another potato week. My weight goes down very slowly when I eat normally, but just falls off when eating potatoes.

SJW2 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusberries View Post
    First time was in October. I did a week in October, a week in November, a week in December, and a week in January. I decided not to do it again in February because I'm doing some resistant starch/probiotic experimenting, but I think come March I'll do another potato week. My weight goes down very slowly when I eat normally, but just falls off when eating potatoes.
    What do you think the reason is for the easy weight loss with this approach?

caveBEE is offline Junior Member
    I started "potato hack" 10 days ago. 3 days potatoes, then one day meat (those 2 times so far, it has been a pound of chicken wings for lunch and 3 eggs for dinner). I add salt, pepper, horseradish, sriracha, hot sauce, ACV, kimchi, green onions or broth to the potatoes (russet or white) as I feel. No fat or dairy though. They are boiled, microwaved, baked, dry fried etc. I try to eat the fresh hot potatoes earlier in the day and the resistant in the evening, but haven't really held hard to that depending on what was available. Also note that I drink wine (white usually) every evening, as much as I want. I also have 1-3 small coffees per day with heavy cream and I force about 3 glasses of water down as well.
    I also work out several times a week, and have kept it up steadily for 2.5 years using heavy lifting 3x plus per week, squash 1x per week, and lots of walking, some lifting in job daily.

Now lets get to the interesting part: I ate primal very carefully in January after a bit of blow up at holidays, but have been eating mostly primal for quite some time before that. (FYI I am 47 yo woman, 5' 7" and at this stage of life hover around the 140 mark, which is higher than I was most of my life until 40s.) Have also done LC etc. at various points with success in the past. But nothing was budging from the high 140s in January. I have not experienced such a stubborn stall and at such a high weight for me. So husband and I in frustration, had some snack days which bumped me up to mid 150s, and out of my wardrobe except 2 pairs work pants.

Needing to get rid of some of this weight reasonably quickly now, for a variety of reasons, I turned to potato hack, which I never thought I'd try. But here I am.

Wow, I have lost 9.6 pounds in 10 days! I eat around 2-2.5 lbs of potatoes daily. My lifts (deadlift, bench and squats) are all still holding well, I feel really great! I miss potatoes on my meat days. And here is the secret(s) for my success: I luckily have not grown to hate potatoes, I "feel" satiated (can't stand to feel ravenously hungry all the time, even on super tweaked primal, we experiment alot), and the stranger thing is, I just noticed today, that I have almost no cravings for anything... other than the stupid potatoes! I still love them.

I plan to keep to the 3 days on, one day off for the next few weeks if possible. Will be interesting to see how long, or if the weight loss continues, or if my lifts suffer etc.
    The potato threads have been a tremendous help to me, so thanks to you all, I thought it was only fair to post another n=1.

And one final note, my husband started it the day after I did, and though he loves potatoes, only lasted about a day and a half and then couldn't stomach even thinking about eating another potato. He is a little disturbed at my enduring love for them so far! Hope it holds out and the results continue to be positive. I'll post in couple of weeks for those who are interested and have read this far (sorry for the length!)
    Last edited by caveBEE; 02-27-2014 at 12:23 PM.
    Bacon is NOT the problem...
    check out our sometimes not so primal side at http://superfoodies.wordpress.com/

SJW2 is offline Member
    caveBEE,

Well I'm glad the results are going well for you! Definitely keep me updated. Obviously, I'm particularly interested in whether your lifts suffer or your gain the weight back easily.

I'm probably going to do 2 days of this this weekend. We shall see how it goes.

Not a clue. Eating the same amount of calories of my normal food doesn't result in a 1lb. a day weight loss like I get with potatoes. I know that it works for me, I just don't know how or why.

SJW2 is offline Member
    So I guess I should mention here that I decided to jump in and give this a try for 4 days.

Ate probably close to 3 pounds of boiled potatoes yesterday. (Basically 3 full plates of them). I still have the same concerns as before, but I can say hunger has been pretty surprisingly low with surprisingly even energy and mood. I feel pretty good and light. I IF'ed yesterday - not eating until about 12:30. It's 9:40AM right now, but plan to go for awhile before I eat. I woke up a little hungry at 6:30, but easily subsided. (I have been intermittently doing intermittent fasting lately, so I'm pretty well prepared for this part of things).,

My biggest concern was muscle loss, as well as weight regain. I can't comment on the latter obviously, but I sense muscle loss may not be a big problem. I feel like I can sense when that is happening. I feel that a worn down, stressed feeling accompanies that. I could be wrong. Just my intuition.

I don't have a functional scale, but I use BF calipers. I'll update at the end of the 4 days at the least.

Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast