Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much truth is there in the folklore/mythology of food properties? page

AMonkey is offline Senior Member

How much truth is there in the folklore/mythology of food properties?

Primal Fuel
    For instance chicken soup is good for healing you when you are sick. I'm sure all of our grandmas and mothers had some sort of almost mystical food beliefs. But coming from the West to Singapore I've been inundated with more food mysticism than I've ever met in my life!
    "Don't eat crab after an operation, it will interfere with healing."
    "Eat this for liver, this for eyes, this for blood" etc

One of the major tenants is this idea that some foods are 'heaty' where as some are cooling. Don't eat too much heaty food, don't eat to much cooling food. If you have a cold, don't eat cooling food!

So how much of this is bullshit, and much is a grain of truth? Is it possible that ancient Chinese secret is the key to health?
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    For instance chicken soup is good for healing you when you are sick. I'm sure all of our grandmas and mothers had some sort of almost mystical food beliefs. But coming from the West to Singapore I've been inundated with more food mysticism than I've ever met in my life!
    "Don't eat crab after an operation, it will interfere with healing."
    "Eat this for liver, this for eyes, this for blood" etc

One of the major tenants is this idea that some foods are 'heaty' where as some are cooling. Don't eat too much heaty food, don't eat to much cooling food. If you have a cold, don't eat cooling food!

So how much of this is bullshit, and much is a grain of truth? Is it possible that ancient Chinese secret is the key to health?
    Lol this is an endless source of amusement at my family gatherings. DH is from that neck of the woods and his family all go on about this being "heaty", that being "windy" etc.
    For folks who have never come across this, they don't mean that the food is hot/spicy, cold or that it gives you wind. It's more about which type of energy they produce, yin or yang, and the effect that had on the body.

"Heaty food are food that will build you up. Food that will push your body to create internal hot energy (yang energy). Cooling food are food that will push your body to create internal cold energy (yin energy)."
    http://nutsaboutchineseidioms.wordpr...-cooling-food/
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Yep, I always tell that if you have the flu eat chicken soup... it usually works miracle, I never questioned it but I think that it's because it's easier on the stomach than a normal meal and therefore being kept inside to help your immune system.

Also eating spicy foods will help you with a cold... just try it and see how runny your noose get! At least it will open up your airways for a few minutes...

Besides that I don't trust my grandma's wisdoms when it comes to food, she is overweight and living on meat, legumes and grains....
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Chicken soup usually has a good amount of garlic. One of the reasons it helps when your sick.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Also old-style chicken soup was made bone-in, giving you a massive mineral dose.

AMonkey: TCM is what they're referencing and I wouldn't put any stock in it. It's basically humorism, which is something the west had as well.

M.

JimenyKrickets is offline Senior Member
    "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" is one of my favorites.

snoops is offline Senior Member
    I think our grandmothers had a lot more common sense than we do. Gargle with salt water for sore throats. Chicken soup for colds. Gets the sinuses moving and the bone broth is good. But I'm sure it needs to be real soup not Lipton. LOL. They were dealing with stuff before the convenience era. A lot of that wisdom is lost now. Glad I had a farming Grandma!! I don't think breakfast being the most important meal of the day was grandmothers wisdom. More conventional wisdom!!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    If you use bone broth for chicken soup, then you are getting the anti-viral properties of the skin as well as all of the minerals from the bones, etc. So, it definitely helps out.

The idea that an apple a day keeps the doctor away has been demonstrated -- apparently apples help with overall heart and arterial health.

Re the chicken soup, I was told its because of the salt it contains replenishing lost electrolytes.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Many of these are anecdotal. Chicken soup is surely good for a cold because it is easy for the body to process and bone broth is exceptionally nutritious and contains ample gelatin, which is crucial for tissue repair. There's nothing magical about chicken soup in and of itself. You could probably develop some type of equally magical pudding made out of egg yolks, warmed milk and gelatin. Clearly, nutritious foods that are simple for your body to process will benefit during a cold, and chicken soup fulfills that.

"Carbs drive insulin drives fat" is my favorite. Silly old wives tale
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-07-2014 at 07:30 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast