Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicken vs. Beef, which is less inflammatory? page

Serro is offline Junior Member

Chicken vs. Beef, which is less inflammatory?

I'm eating a diet that's solely focused around eliminating inflammation and supporting gut health. I was eating a ton of chicken, but it started to make me feel sick/bloated, and I've felt much better this last week during which I've had almost no chicken. My question is, would beef be a better idea for me? I'm so confused about this, cause I've seen so many people saying to avoid red meat, and that it's inflammatory and bad for the gut, but then I've also seen people say that grass-fed beef is loaded with Omega-3. So which is it, or should I just cut them both out

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Beef.

By a HUGE margin.

Beef is mostly saturated fat with only trace amounts of the pro-inflammatory omega fats. It also has a better protein profile.

Chicken is good source of omega-6 fats (all poultry really) which cause inflammation and oxidization damage. Pork suffers from this as well.

It's not that you can never eat pound try or pork again, but the bulk of your "meat" intake should be in the form of seafood and red meat in my humble opinion.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Beef.

By a HUGE margin.

Beef is mostly saturated fat with only trace amounts of the pro-inflammatory omega fats. It also has a better protein profile.

Chicken is good source of omega-6 fats (all poultry really) which cause inflammation and oxidization damage. Pork suffers from this as well.

It's not that you can never eat pound try or pork again, but the bulk of your "meat" intake should be in the form of seafood and red meat in my humble opinion.
    Okay thanks. Do you know why so many people say red meat causes inflammation though? The conflicting opinions drive me nuts

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Grass fed beef is easier to find than pastured chicken. I'm sure grass fed beef is better than CAFO chicken. Even CAFO beef is probably less bad than CAFO chicken.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Serro View Post
    Okay thanks. Do you know why so many people say red meat causes inflammation though? The conflicting opinions drive me nuts
    Because that info comes for the ill-informed "SATURATED FAT IS EVIL DEATH ITSELF!!" crowd.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Giblets is offline Member
    There are more choices than beef or chicken ... oh, hey look ... a FISH. Which I think are better for you than either beef or chicken, even though I only have fish about once a week.

And LAMB. Lamb is almost always pasture raised. I've never even heard of CAFO'd lamb.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

My diet? Very low carb to initially lose weight, then moderate carbs (the past 12 years) for effortless weight maintenance. For me, the "carb curve" works like a charm. Once a week or so, I eat only one meal during the day (at late evening), as sort of a mini-fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Giblets View Post
    There are more choices than beef or chicken ... oh, hey look ... a FISH. Which I think are better for you than either beef or chicken, even though I only have fish about once a week.

And LAMB. Lamb is almost always pasture raised. I've never even heard of CAFO'd lamb.
    I have fish all the time, I'm just looking for some meat to fill out my diet cause I'm worried about eating too much fish

Heyo Jay is offline Senior Member
    it's just the potential poison of mercury that scares me about fish. otherwise i could eat them all day.... wait.. .I kind of do already hahah.
    My interesting paleo weight loss blog

Quote Originally Posted by Heyo Jay View Post
    it's just the potential poison of mercury that scares me about fish. otherwise i could eat them all day.... wait.. .I kind of do already hahah.
    All the benefits of omega-3 fats aside, they are still polyunsaturated fats and VERY susceptible to oxidation and becoming rancid which is TERRIBLE for your body. So, yes, you CAN get too much fish, especially the fatty ones that contain ample omega-3s.

kmarie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi,
    Is Strauss a decent brand of lamb?
    Thx
    K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast