Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Duck Fat (and other saturated fats) page

Serro is offline Junior Member

Questions about Duck Fat (and other saturated fats)

I'm looking to increase my saturated fat intake greatly. I bought a small container of duck fat from the market and have been using it to cook vegetables and fish with. It tastes amazing and I feel a lot better since using it. My questions are:

1) Should I be concerned about the quality of the fat? The stuff I bought has no labeling so I have no idea how healthy the duck that the fat came from was. I wouldn't want to be consuming fat from a low-quality animal, right?

2) Is it a good idea to use fat for cooking? What I've been doing is melting the fat on the stove top and then coating my fish and vegetables in it, then cooking them either in the oven or in a frying pan. Is this safe? Does fat have a smoking temperature that you shouldn't go past?

3) Are there any other saturated fats I should be using besides duck fat and coconut oil?

Thanks

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Duck fat is NOT a saturated fat. It is primarily MONOUNSATURATED and it also contains a pretty significant amount of omega-6 at that.

That polyunsaturated omega-6 content will easily go rancid if exposed to heat and that can cause all sorts of information, oxidization, etc. which is not a good thing at ALL.

And YES, fat quality is extremely important. Fat is where the majority of toxins and nasty hormones or chemicals accumulate in animals, so getting fat from animals that are less likely to have been exposed is, in my humble opinion, even more important than the muscle meat of the animal.

Also, cooking in fat is a GREAT idea. But the only fats I ever cook with these days are coconut oil, butter, ghee, and tallow. I will use olive oil for sauces, dips, and dressings that are uncooked. Or just drizzle it on some steamed veggies after they've cooled a tad.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 01-05-2014 at 08:46 PM.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    But the only fats I ever cook with these days are coconut oil, butter, ghee, and tallow. I will use olive oil for sauces, dips, and dressings that are uncooked. Or just drizzle it on some steamed veggies after they've cooled a tad.
    +1

I have also used Olive Oil to cook with when eating with someone who is a phobia of saturated fat.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    +1

I have also used Olive Oil to cook with when eating with someone who is a phobia of saturated fat.
    Yeah, I have too, but that's about the only time I do that.

Unless it's a restaurant and it's olive or vegetable oils.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Serro is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Duck fat is NOT a saturated fat. It is primarily MONOUNSATURATED and it also contains a pretty significant amount of omega-6 at that.

That polyunsaturated omega-6 content will easily go rancid if exposed to heat and that can cause all sorts of information, oxidization, etc. which is not a good thing at ALL.

And YES, fat quality is extremely important. Fat is where the majority of toxins and nasty hormones or chemicals accumulate in animals, so getting fat from animals that are less likely to have been exposed is, in my humble opinion, even more important than the muscle meat of the animal.

Also, cooking in fat is a GREAT idea. But the only fats I ever cook with these days are coconut oil, butter, ghee, and tallow. I will use olive oil for sauces, dips, and dressings that are uncooked. Or just drizzle it on some steamed veggies after they've cooled a tad.
    Oh wow, thank you for clearing that up. I'd read somewhere that Duck Fat was a good idea, but there's a lot of faulty info floating around.

In regards to Coconut Oil, does cooking it reduce or kill off the antifungal properties? Cause I don't want to use too much coconut oil so as to avoid intense die-off.

Is Ghee good for gut health?

Ghee (and butter) are both concentrated sources of short-chain fatty acids (particularly butyrate) which are readily assimilated as energy and are also the product of bacterial fermentation in your gut.

Getting some of your body's butyrate content from dietary means (rather than relying solely on the gut), is a great way to ease the burden on your gut flora. If you're worried about gut and digestive health, eat plenty of real, lacto-fermented veggies as well. Daily if you can.

I eat TONS of coconut oil these days and have had nothing but regular bowel movements and good digestion. So I can't specifically answer your question, but my n=1 says unless you're mainlining coconut oil, you're probably ok. And you'd get tired of it before then and switch things up for a while.

Oh, and duck fat is not a "never use" product, but just be careful to keep it to an occasional treat. I can attest to it being fucking delicious!

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Duck fat is delicious and makes the most amazing roast potatoes. It is traditionally used as one of the main cooking fats in many parts of France. I use it whenever I roast a duck and for some days after - until it is used up! And I often buy either duck or goose fat also. But mainly I use either pork or beef fat for cooking; it is more easily available and cheaper here in the UK.

I don't worry about omega 6 in duck fat; it is a small amount of my fat intake and I eat no seed oils etc. Then there is the famous French paradox

"The French Paradox

In the United States, 315 of every 100,000 middle-aged men die of heart attacks each year. In France the rate is 145 per 100,000. However, In the Gascony region, where goose and duck liver form a staple of the diet, this rate is only 80 per 100,000 (See below: Can Foie Gras aid the heart?) This phenomenon has recently gained international attention as the French Paradox --They eat more fat in Gascony than anyplace else, but they live the longest ."
    Taken from

Duck fat compared to butter and olive oil

biko is offline Senior Member
    O wow, I thought duck fat was THE fat to get.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    According to Cronometer, a cup of duck fat has about:

101 grams monounsaturated fat
    26 gms polyunsaturated fat
    68 gms saturated fat

Beef tallow (a cup) has about:

86 grams monounsaturated fat
    8 gms polyunsaturated fat
    102 gms saturated fat

So, for everyday cooking, the tallow is probably better - and it will make your wallet scream less. But duck fat certainly has it's uses. I've never used it in a deep fryer, but pan fried french fries in duck fat make you wish you could eat a potato based diet forever.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Duck fat isn't going to go rancid and be destroyed by cooking, especially not the way you are using it. Keep it refrigerated and enjoy it. It's tasty stuff. One year I made my own duck fat and got a quart out of one duck.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast