Thread: IFing Ladies! Would you share? page

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member

IFing Ladies! Would you share?

Shop Now
    I had a very bad experience with hair loss and missing periods when I went VLC. Now this past month I have been doing many 24 hour fasts and keeping my hair. The best part is that my period was a couple of days early so that tells me that my body is OK with it.

I am still too afraid to exercise at all during my long fasts. I enjoy long, hard cardio because of the endorphin rush but fear that it will place stress on my body and result in hair loss again if I do it during a 24+ hr fast. Thoughts on this?

Would love to hear other women's experience with IFing- What works/doesn't work for you? What type of exercise do you do in a fasted state? Someone mentioned negative effects if you don't eat enough calories. I was unaware of this. More info?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and knowledge!

Artemis67 is offline Senior Member
    I do daily 18/6 IF (eating between 2:00-8:00pm). Roughly once a month, I'll realize I'm not hungry and fast straight through until hunger returns (usually 40-60hrs).

I tried alternate-day fasting. I also tried doing one complete fast day per week, on top of my regular IF. And both were just too much--instead of feeling good, I felt anxious, and felt like I was setting myself up for a binge. So back to regular 18/6 I went, and everything's cool again.

Fasting has tremendous health benefits, and it's a useful tool, but it's also a stressor. So if you're having physiological or emotional stress reactions, go easier on the fasting.

As far as exercise goes, there's nothing I can't do in my day-to-day fasted state. I'm in ketosis, my blood sugar's stable, and I don't get weak or dizzy. On longer fasts, I take it easier--walking, but not running or doing anything particularly strenuous. I figure if my body's asked for a break, I'll give it one; it's not going to set me back if I postpone heavy work or intense activity for a day or two.

I'm not even sure what my caloric intake is, now. I eat whatever good food I'm hungry for, in the quantity it takes to satisfy me. Some days, it's a lot; other days, it seems like hardly anything. If I'm consistently not getting enough to eat, I'll get ravenous and eat stuff I probably shouldn't, so if I'm hungry, I eat, and don't get hung up on whether it's too much, or how many calories are in it. I've found it's pretty hard to overeat when I follow hunger/satiety signals and eat nourishing food. But it's hard deprogramming from decades of worrying over calories and portions and good food and bad and loads of shitty diet advice--WHEW. To just eat what I am truly hungry for, to satisfaction, has been kind of a leap of faith. It does seem to be working really well, however.

Oh, and hair loss--yeah, I got really sheddy for a while after going VLC, and the first three periods after starting were just insane (instead of Shark Week, it was goddamned Shark Fortnight).. But I felt so good otherwise I decided to ride it out for a while, suspecting that things would eventually go back to normal. And they have. No more crazy periods, hair's growing back in like mad, and I feel great. VLC is definitely not for everyone, and the transition can be rough, but for me it's my happy place.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    For me, it doesn't do much for appetite suppression compared to a small meal.

It did help in my fat loss/muscle gain efforts since I did not gain any weight during the period I was heavy lifting and eating at a caloric surplus.

It also drove my stress levels up a wall.

IMO something women should avoid.

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    I don't IF on purpose, I eat when I'm hungry though.
    Some days I'm hungry at 7am, other not till 2pm.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I do 18/6 as well, and find that this works very well for me.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    No a lady, but I'll say this:

If low carb was causing your hair loss, but IFing without low carb is not...

High carb meal after fast = full liver glycogen = plenty of glucose available to fuel you all day vs. running off of ketones and free-fatty acids. So it may be that you're still running off of direct glucose as your primary fuel which is causing the lack of hair loss.
    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    No a lady, but I'll say this:

If low carb was causing your hair loss, but IFing without low carb is not...

High carb meal after fast = full liver glycogen = plenty of glucose available to fuel you all day vs. running off of ketones and free-fatty acids. So it may be that you're still running off of direct glucose as your primary fuel which is causing the lack of hair loss.
    I always believed glycogen can only last up to 12 hours in your liver. Is it possible to run all day off of yesterday's sugar?

NWFroggie is offline Junior Member
    I IF on a daily basis and it's been working great for me. Most days I eat dinner only, so a full day fast. I had not planned on IF at this point, but it just fits my current circumstances. I'm not often hungry in the morning and would skip breakfast. Work got very crazy and I didn't get the chance to eat lunch on time. I kept pushing lunch later until it was too close to dinner and didn't make sense to eat. Since I would still be making dinner for my family it was easier to just wait and eat together.

I have been doing IF since late September, some weekends I do as well. I have not noticed any problems from doing it. I'm not sure I even know what problems women run into with it. I have not had hair falling out and am old enough that having a cycle isn't an issue. Hope you find the information you're looking for.

Jazzmama is offline Junior Member
    I have found a 17 hour IF is great for me, but I start the day with a bulletproof coffee. I need that to get going cause I don't sleep well or much. But once I have it I sail through to 1:45pm most days. If my body says I need to eat earlier, I just listen.

It's important to think of the schedule you are on each day though, because if I do IF and then I busy and out in the arvo, I can end up eating stuff I probably wouldn't have otherwise, making less wise choices.

I have had no issues at all with periods etc, but I am pretty solid in that department.

Good luck with the tweaking!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I've IFed for most of my life even as a kid and in my teens simply because I hate eating small meals. I've always preferred a large meal at the end of the day when I can just sleep afterwards.

I have always worked out and done cardio in a fasted state before my large meal of the day. No problems with my period. The only time my periods have stopped was in my teens when I was sub-90 pounds. I think amenorrhea depends on the person and how much your body can take.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."