Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: wtf Planet Fitness ads page 8

Reventon is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I don't get why people think everyone is judging them in the gym. Fat, thin, young, old...I don't judge in the gym.

Unless you're wasting time doing something dumb in the squat cage. Then I hate you with the fury of a thousand suns.

Sent via lightsaber
    And the fury of a thousand thousand suns when someone uses his little buddy to queue jump (I had this happen a couple of times on the squat rack). On the upside, the rage fuels the lifting.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I don't watch television, and had never seen any of the PF commercials until JimenyKrickets posted those two examples.

What I find amusing is at the end of both of those, they insist "we're not a gym..."

Exactly.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I once had a chance to move to Atlanta but I turned it down because there was absolutely no way to be a pedestrian or cyclist and not be killed and I just did not want to live like that.
    Heh. When I lived in Atlanta I was a pedestrian, absent footpaths be damned! Lots of cars slowed down near me as I walked along the side of the road (I guessed they thought I was going to throw myself under their car and sue them or something).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    What I find amusing is at the end of both of those, they insist "we're not a gym..."

Exactly.
    Right! And I don’t understand what people are whining about since it’s not even a gym, take it or leave it!!!

If I visit McDonalds I have to accept that it is not a five stars French restaurant, so if I don’t like Ronald McDonald and his conditions then I don’t go to the f#$king place, and the same with Planet Fitness…

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gorbag View Post
    right! And i don’t understand what people are whining about since it’s not even a gym, take it or leave it!!!

If i visit mcdonalds i have to accept that it is not a five stars french restaurant, so if i don’t like ronald mcdonald and his conditions then i don’t go to the f#$king place, and the same with planet fitness…
    bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    That's all I'm trying to say - that we don't all have the same tool sets and can't all accomplish the same things no matter how hard we try. I'm not for dumbing things down, just not assuming we're all capable of the same things, and the assumption that someone who can't accomplish the same things as I can must not be really trying.
    Yup. There is a lot of wisdom to this.

It's interesting seeing what experience teaches you given that you and I have come at this from two very different starting places. I was a perennial fat kid growing up, who despite being pretty athletic and agile (I could outsprint, out jump and outmaneuver plenty of guys who were 40-60 lbs lighter than me) never could shed the excess bodyfat. Reduce it some, but never get rid of it. I figured my best case scenario was to be chubby but athletic and it depressed me to no end (along with the natural depression that accompanied my horrid wheat intake). The crucial tool I lacked in that case was information, because my dietary composition was just horrible. Once I got ahold of that, it made changing a lot easier.

The interesting thing I've found now that I have gotten my appearance to a point that looks fit and strong is that you still get "those" looks from assholes (growing up fat, I know exactly what you mean about that too). Maybe now it's because I'm there in my crappy Singha Beer T-shirt or flat, throwaway K-Mart shoes instead of $100 high heeled "lifting platforms" rather than how they perceive me to be for my body, but haters are gonna hate. They're just not worth your time. Just like those toolbags going on a date with you and suggesting you get a boob job (I can't even fathom someone that shallow), the dipshits who are like that at the gym exist only to be put in the immediate "ignore" category.

The other thing I've generally found with people in this category is that very few of them fall into the ranks of the competent - if you've put in your time to develop a skill, you tend to get some humbling experiences on the way, much like Laz has detailed of some of his own life experiences. Stopping for a chat with the people who have the ability to move some serious iron or do something that's genuinely impressive or cool, you tend to find a lack of attitude or Hubris.

If you're in an environment where they're just not there, I dig it. But by the same token, these muppets have a way of proliferating. If they do start showing up at your gym learn to hold your head up high, ignore them, and when necessary give 'em the "f**k you" gimlet stare. They never know how to react to it

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Heh. When I lived in Atlanta I was a pedestrian, absent footpaths be damned! Lots of cars slowed down near me as I walked along the side of the road (I guessed they thought I was going to throw myself under their car and sue them or something).
    Wow, you are brave. We drove around with the job recruiter who showed us around and everything and man that guy barely paid any attention to the road at all. He was so distracted with talking to us, using his phone and generally braking at the last minute and weaving all over the place. And he was driving just like everybody else. There was absolutely no shoulder anywhere, no sidewalks, no bike paths, nothing. Just a curb 2 inches from your tires. You could see people riding their bikes on a bike path or jogging on a foot path over in some park, but nobody dared be out of a car on a city street. There weren't even sidewalks in residential neighborhoods. Not my idea of a liveable city. But oh man everybody was so blissed out on their cheap real estate and going to church. That's all this guy had to sell us on Atlanta. Joining a church and buying a cheap mansion in a gated community.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reventon View Post
    If you're in an environment where they're just not there, I dig it. But by the same token, these muppets have a way of proliferating. If they do start showing up at your gym learn to hold your head up high, ignore them, and when necessary give 'em the "f**k you" gimlet stare. They never know how to react to it
    I'm normally very confident and have an "I'm a kind, strong, intelligent person, so screw you if you think I'm worthless" attitude, but this is my Achilles heel. I wasn't born this way, and up until a couple of years ago, this wasn't an issue. So I probably haven't quite adjusted to it as well as any other issue I might have.

Partly me, partly haters. So i just avoid them.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I'm normally very confident and have an "I'm a kind, strong, intelligent person, so screw you if you think I'm worthless" attitude, but this is my Achilles heel. I wasn't born this way, and up until a couple of years ago, this wasn't an issue. So I probably haven't quite adjusted to it as well as any other issue I might have.

Partly me, partly haters. So i just avoid them.
    Yup. I definitely get that. When I was really unhappy and unconfident about how I looked it was a similar thought process for me. Even though I'm not entirely happy about my appearance now, I have enough confidence to shrug it off. Before, I figured there was something wrong with me. Now I know there isn't, they're the ones with the problem.

Where its weird is you may have encountered something similar before and just not realised or cared, which is a healthy response. The only advice I have is an oldschool sales aphorism, "fake it until you make it." Its a saying about confidence in particular, that even if you don't have it situationally, you can create it with a good act. It's not necessary by any means, but I'm strongly of the opinion you shouldn't let some judgemental tool dictate where you do and don't feel comfortable. Especially when you pay for the right to use a space.
    Last edited by Reventon; 01-07-2014 at 06:26 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Ugh, Laz.

I totally just had a moment like the one you describe!

Apparently, because I'm the fit/thin one in my family, I'm the "genetically blessed" one. Now, my mom was fit for years and years and years by eating right and exercising. My father's always had weight issues (linked to self esteem issues). My sister has yo-yoed her whole life (she goes between healthy diet/exercise -- I should say "healthy" -- and not).

So, I'm apparently in some kind of drama with my sister, where she fussed because I was inhibiting her ability to work out (not so), and that if she were as genetically blessed as I am, she wouldn't need to be so upset about me inhibiting her ability to work out.

Uhm.

I do eat very well and exercise daily, plus get enough sleep. My sister is just starting a new routine -- gym for treadmill 2x a week for 30 minutes, plus a smoothie every other day. She's still having chips, coke, cookies, and her usual foods that aren't healthy, but at least she's adding in nutrients.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting that -- in my own family -- I'm genetically blessed. Don't we basically have the same genes?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast