Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: wtf Planet Fitness ads page 7

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I have seen it before,
    That sucks to have to live in an environment like that. :/

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    They've put all the gyms out of business in my area.
    Okay now I understand. That's the way I feel about Whole Foods, where I used to live they put out of business all the small health food stores. Now I live in a town that's too small for PF or WF.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    One of the things that made my business grow was being different from other studios.

There wasn't a scene (wear the right things, etc), and classes were shorter (for people too busy for 1.5 hr classes), and while classes cost more ($12 for 45 min compared to $18 for 1.5 hrs), it was a price that people are willing to pay.

I did everything to take down intimidation factors with yoga (you have to be flexible, you have to be skinny, you have to have expensive equipment and clothes, etc), so that people would attend.

The actual yoga is a good, solid, balanced class, adaptable to anyone and all levels. And we offered gentle classes for anyone who wanted that as well (it's a good compliment to our power yoga). And there's a high standard for form (safety), and doing your best, but it doesn't have to be in comparison to anyone else.

And it's motivating. The sequence is progressive, but accessible to beginners. It makes people feel good to get through a class and feel like they did a great job the first time. It encourages them to come back and be consistent.

Which gives them benefits and keeps my income stable.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I feel like where I'm at now does a great job of catering to beginners to advanced in a non-intimidating way. I like having MUCH better lifted than myself around as there is a lot to learn from them, and it's always great when there is a new person as it's a good time to go back and double check form etc.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimenyKrickets View Post
    They have the funniest damn commericals ever.

...and yes, I totally want to go somewhere hot and do something hot.
    Haha, they even admit that PF is NOT a gym, so what are you guys complaining about then? Go to a real GYM instead…

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    I understand your contention, and I share it. I am about 6 feet and Caucasian, so if my dream is to play in the NBA, and my Reality Check is a 6 10 Nigerian man dunking the ball off my forehead, it is unlikely I will ever reach Actualization.

My hope would then be that my peers not judge me on the fact that I am not a fledgling NBA superstar, and that I would have the maturity to accept it and move on....the issue is that society puts such a premium on physical prowess, for the VERY few that have it, that some feel that others judge them even though 90% of it is the weight of their own disappointment at not meeting the "standard".

The only difference I am asking for is that our solution not be that we disband all basketball leagues from tall men, or that we setup basketball gyms where people with actual talent at the sport are discouraged from attending....let's outlaw dunking, just as we outlaw lunking.

I have a neurotic hatred for things that don't like to appear as what they really are, so deal with my silliness. I don't like bars that try to look like dance clubs, or doc offices that try to look like hair salons. If you are a gym, put very heavy things inside of yourself, or change your name.
    Ah. This I agree with.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    They also have whole body vibration at most.
    Mine does. The whole vibration/red light booth thingy. I sometimes use it to relax/unwind after a good workout. It's a little meditative.

I suppose a gym is what you make of it. Until all of the weights at PF are too light and I can join a "real gym," I'm content with my PF membership.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I guess, Laz, that I got from your post that I objected to that you were seriously making instant shaming thoughts about people who were fat and deciding to go to planet fitness, as if you know for sure that they're total losers in life, always looking for the easy way out.

My problem with what little I know about Planet Fitness is that it furthers stereotypes that:
    - the strong guys using free weights in the gym are "lunkheads"
    - that people using free weights are judgmental and intimidating
    and lastly, this one goes for most things:
    - that you need to spend money to get in shape. Money on equipment, money on a gym, money on some kind of "safe" or "supportive" atmosphere.

My stadium steps didn't actually lead me to lifting weights. They led me to stand on Everest. And once I gazed on Mt. Everest with my own eyes, I knew almost anything was possible.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    My stadium steps didn't actually lead me to lifting weights. They led me to stand on Everest. And once I gazed on Mt. Everest with my own eyes, I knew almost anything was possible.
    That's awesome.

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    I can see where the people that like Planet Fitness are coming from. When I first wanted to start lifting seriously, I was afraid of appearing weak and being judged (my first work sets on Starting Strength were pathetic), so I bought my own power rack and lifted at home. I should've just learned how to not give a $hit about what people think, though. This one time at the gym, a curl bro came up to me after some squats and said my form was bad (leaning too far forward). I humored him, to be polite, but while he was talking I thought to myself, "I'm sure you're a nice guy, but you're advice means nothing to me. You have no idea what you're talking about. I'm going to do exactly what I did before." Some people need to learn that attitude. I know that I look goofy with my awesome headband and tube socks at the gym, but I have strength goals that need to be achieved.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast