Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grain Brain page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Grain Brain

Has anyone read Grain Brain by Dr. David Perlmutter? I'd like to hear your opinion before I buy it myself.

flammable1 is offline Junior Member
    I recommended this book to my sister-in-law, who is something of a neuroscience buff, after finishing it several weeks ago. Grain Brain ties in nicely with Davis' Wheat Belly (the covers are even alike!), but having a history of dementia and Alzheimer's in the family, I was looking for something more specific about feeding the brain. Depending on your familiarity with the science (mine is pretty minimal), the technical writing, in places, bogs down an otherwise good read.

The price on Kindle was reasonable at $6.49, or like my S-I-L, check it out at the library.

Grizz is offline Banned
    The information is EXCELLENT. I have started a file on Grains fr family & friends:

Wheat is Devastating to our Health
    This File Link =
    http://tinyurl.com/Wheat-Health-Problems

Most spectacular are the photos of weight loss from simply giving up grains.

Grizz

drheather is offline Senior Member
    I enjoyed it-agree that it is a great companion book to Wheat Belly.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    Easy read with great information.
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flammable1 View Post
    I recommended this book to my sister-in-law, who is something of a neuroscience buff, after finishing it several weeks ago. Grain Brain ties in nicely with Davis' Wheat Belly (the covers are even alike!), but having a history of dementia and Alzheimer's in the family, I was looking for something more specific about feeding the brain. Depending on your familiarity with the science (mine is pretty minimal), the technical writing, in places, bogs down an otherwise good read.

The price on Kindle was reasonable at $6.49, or like my S-I-L, check it out at the library.
    I read Wheat Belly during the time I was losing weight. I've learned a lot and become more confident just because it was written by a preventive cardiologist. Since our primal way of eating "flies in the face" of most things medical, it's encouraging to read books written by doctors supporting these changes. From the responses to this post I intend to buy the book, on Kindle. We can't be armed with enough facts. I also searched the library for the ebook. They had 1 and there was a waiting list. I never was good at waiting. Thanks.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 01-05-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Puddleglumish is offline Member
    It's very informative and easy to read. I have already recommended it to friends (without letting them take my copy away with them!).
    In the past year I have discovered that I am gluten, grain, dairy and legume intolerant.

I am trying to make sense of it all through my blog: http://www.goingagainstthegrain.co.uk

This book is so informative and was the second book I read after Wheat Belly when I was considering going primal. I keep 'Grain Brain' on my coffee table along with 'Primal Blueprint' so I can keep referring back to it. I also tried some of the primal recipes and they are good! As an aside Dr. Perlmutter's Podcasts are also good and very informative. He really gets his point across in 'Grain Brain, it was easy to understand his explanation of the physiological response to grains that our brain goes through and I was especially interested in his opinion about dementia and Alzheimers with regard to eating grains. I think it also helps that he is a Board Certified Neurologist so his viewpoint might carry a little more whollop than other authors on this subject. Like Sisson he recommends being in a slight state of ketosis and maintaining a stable blood sugar. 'Grain Brain' is a good tool to have and I highly ecommend it!

earthlymumma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Can someone suggest which book would be best for me to purchase?

Grain Brain or Wheat Belly?

I want to get one of these two books, mainly for my parents to read. My father has dementia as well as heart disease/high bp/ cholesterol and im after something to convince him that a diet change is worth it!

I just can't decide which book would be better and at the moment I cannot afford both.
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast