Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Typical dinner page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    One thing that for some reason I never tire of: ground meat of choice, onions, other veggies, sauteed in a pan. Add tomato sauce (or chopped tomatoes, or tomato paste) and spices. Get it all neat in the pan, then crack open however many eggs on top, and a little black pepper. Lower heat and cover until eggs are set. So easy. If I'm really lazy, just the ground meat, tomato product, spices, and eggs works just as well for me.

Also, depending on how low carb you want to go, a bit of white rice or potato can fit in just fine. An 8 oz portion of russet potato or a quarter cup (dry measure - expands to about 3/4 cup cooked) white rice have about 36 and 34 grams of carb respectively. So you don't have to rid yourself of these foods, just take it down a notch if you've been used to them being most of your plate.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    So different when you are cooking for a family.
    Why? Meat, veggies and potatoes is basically what my mom made for our family and pretty much what every mid-western mom in the us made for their family. Perhaps they added a jello salad once in a while.

You're not a short-order cook. The family eats what mom (or dad) cooks. Period.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Our dinners are as follows:

M: chicken or turkey, BIG salad with lots of veggies;
    T: fish, BIG salad with lots of veggies, sweet potato;
    W: beef with BIG salad with lots of veggies;
    R: fish with BIG salad with lots of veggies, sweet potato;
    F: chicken with BIG salad with lots of veggies;
    S: steak night!!!! with BIG salad with lots of veggies;
    Su: fish with BIG salad with lots of veggies, sweet potato!

Salads vary based on season, availability, and taste. I like to sprout things, so I include sprouts in them. Chickens are whole roasting chickens. Beef is mince in some way (sometimes a sauce, etc -- veggie sauce). Fish is atlantic cod.

Dessert is fruit. It's optional. Depends upon your version of primal, your carb counts, etc. We're fit/active with good body fat %, so we aren't worried about carb counts. So, it'll be berries with coconut cream or I make banana-cococnut cream-carob 'ice cream' if the bananas are ripe and frozen. It's delicious. 5 bananas, 3 tbsp coconut cream, and 3 tbsp carob makes 1 quart. At most, I can eat 1/2 quart at a sitting, but generally, we divide that into thirds. Though the boy doesn't care for it so much as he likes his berries/yogurt, so he goes for that. His dad and I like the banana. Generally, on sweet potato night, I don't have any 'dessert,' and DH will have berries on that night, so the non-sweet potato nights are 'dessert' nights with the ice cream.

Again, that had everything to do with our carb counts, and mine is higher than DH's.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Approximately what I eat in a 24 hour period:
    One pound of grass-fed beef or other meat equivalent, inc. fish, chicken, etc.
    Eight eggs.
    Three potatoes, five carrots all boiled together.
    1/2 gallon of full-fat yogurt.
    2 cups of blueberries.
    Seasonings, teas, occasionally bone broth and ferments like homebrew kombucha and Bubbies Sauerkraut.
    Sporadic fruit loads, like seven bananas at once or a bag of dried stonefruits.
    Occasional nuts, usually macadamia.
    Previously ate avocado by the ton, guess I'm sick of it now. I've quit eating them for the time being.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seashel087 View Post
    So it really is that simple--meat + veggies + fat + spices (of which there are many different combinations). It's just I'm so used to having dinner with some sort of carb (typically a grain), that it takes a bit to wrap my head around the idea that it isn't necessary and dinner can be complete and satisfying without it. So it helps to see what others are doing.
    Fat isn't even necessary, most meats have enough fat in them to bake or cook in that. Fat like butter you add for taste, so if you like it, go ahead.

Me too, found it very difficult to let go of the carbs with dinner. I'm not too concerned about my carb count as long as it stays under the 150 grams so I'm often adding sweet potato or rice products. I found that it's only sugar and grains that made me feel awful.

My normal dinners are like this:
    Meat, chicken or fish, with veggies of the day or sweet potato.
    Sometimes we make curries, I add white rice or wild rice with it.

Today I had beef with sun dried tomatoes, Mozzarella and carrots and Cucumber.
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    So different when you are cooking for a family.
    It's really not. Here's our menu for this week:

Cheesy bacon back (with kumara slices) served with steamed carrots and broccoli
    Slow cooked butter chicken, on rice
    Chickpea curry, on rice
    Meat muffins (meatloaf) with Wedges
    Sausage Casserole with boiled Potatoes
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    Huge piece of fish - I eat like 12 - 16 ounces worth in a sitting, ha! Along with loads of veggies and a big glob of coconut oil!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I feed the kiddo the same thing that I feed us. It's been that way since he was born (and primal since he was 2), and he's fine with it.

Tonight he had fish, salad veggies, berries with yogurt, and a banana.

Liquid Gusto is offline Senior Member
    Last night I ate beef pot roast with sweet potato and carrots.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Our dinners are as follows:

M: chicken or turkey, BIG salad with lots of veggies;
    T: fish, BIG salad with lots of veggies, sweet potato;
    W: beef with BIG salad with lots of veggies;
    R: fish with BIG salad with lots of veggies, sweet potato;
    F: chicken with BIG salad with lots of veggies;
    S: steak night!!!! with BIG salad with lots of veggies;
    Su: fish with BIG salad with lots of veggies, sweet potato!
    That's a lot of fish? You rich? Adopt me!!!
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast