Thread: Reverse Pyramid Training ( la Leangains): Anyone here doing it? page

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member

Reverse Pyramid Training ( la Leangains): Anyone here doing it?

Primal Fuel
    If so, did you have good results with it?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    You mean start with heaviest set right? Never did it with lean gains, but in past it has worked well for strength. I use to do 2, 4, 6, 8 sort of thing. I've also done the 8, 6, 4, 2.... I actually prefer the latter with slightly less weight these days for a lot of movements.

Lol...I say these days.... don't take that too literal. I mean in the past several years. The past two years have been 1 set to failure with a weight I can hit 4-8 reps with and now I'm on a 1-2 month kettlebell kick to learn the movements then add them to an overall program.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-04-2014 at 08:12 PM.

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Yes, the idea is that after some warmup sets you start with the heaviest set first (top set) and then decrease bar weight by 10% or so for each subsequent set as you fatigue, and increase the number of reps on those subsequent sets if you can.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    ^I'm starting to develop a personal mantra in terms of exercise. I can maintain my strength and mass in a caloric deficit and sufficient protein doing a HIT protocol 1-2 times a week....In fact I would say that is optimal. Any more sets/time under load than that makes my appetite so strong that I'm almost guaranteed to gain mass.

So to lose weight 1-2 sets to failure in the 4-8 range 1-2 times a week in the big five will suffice.

To gain weight and mass more sets may or may not be necessary, but they sure as hell stimulate me to eat a ton more. So while that same protocol could work to gain mass, I'm just not hungry enough on it to "eat big"....so more sets at sub max/less than failure tends to help. This is where the pyramids work well for me.

So that is my experience. Use it as you will.