Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Oil Stomach Aches and Nasuea--Help! page

FairyRae is offline Senior Member

Fish Oil Stomach Aches and Nasuea--Help!

Shop Now
    I've been doing the NOW DHA 500 fish oil for a few weeks, a/b 3 a day, and I'm realizing that it is making me feel sick. I'd been having nasuea and was not sure why, it seemed to be after I ate at each meal. (I've been taking one at each meal--and I did increase semi-gradually, adding in an extra pill every other day.)

I cut out the lunch/dinner fish oils last night and didn't have any nasuea or stomach ache in the afternoon or evening (did have it in the am after my fish oil) after having a terrible stomache ache w/ lots of cramping the night before.

They are enteric coated, which is supposed to help them digest better and stop them from having fishy burps (which I don't care about, but they do work in this manner--but they *are* hurting my tummy.)

I really want to keep taking this--would digestive enzymes help this feel better, or something else? And if enzymes are the way to go, any idea on what kind of enzymes would be best to take with them?

Thanks folks for any thoughts/ideas!!

Skids is offline Member
    I've never had stomach problems with any vitamins/supplements but I'm taking 2,000mg of Nordic Naturals DHA a day. I take them all at once in the morning. Two things come to mind. Try taking them with a lot of water, my ND recommended to drink a good amount of water for better digestion and better absorption. Second you might try a different brand, my ND specifically recommended the Nordic Naturals brand. My 2 cents.

Thanks--I'll look into Nordic Naturals for sure, and try and up the water I drink w/ them and see how it goes.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I have another hypothesis. Perhaps your leptin-signaling is being rapidly restored and you are not used to all of the satiety signaling from all of the protein and fat you were eating. Liquid oil is obviously ballin' but I would also recommend to hang in for a bit. I recently consumed a stupid amount of fish oil in a few weeks and was feeling a little ill but it has gone away. Perhaps just give it time.

Also bite into one and taste it for freshness.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Spinner is offline Senior Member
    I was having much the same issue until I started taking them in the middle of my meal. I ate half of my meal, popped all my pills, and then finished my meal and drank water after. That seemed to really help my issues. HTH!
    Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

Thanks Stabby and Spinner.

Perhaps your leptin-signaling is being rapidly restored and you are not used to all of the satiety signaling from all of the protein and fat you were eating.
    Ok, still trying to get a grasp on this stuff--do you mean that maybe I've been overeating w/ the extra fat on top of my usual, and am getting a stomach ache from my body telling me I'm really full? (I'm gonna go read Mark's recent leptin post to try and school myself a bit...)

I certainly do think it has to do w/ adapting to it... (And I will totally check for freshness--I've been keeping them in the freezer as I read that can help w/ digestion too--maybe I'll thaw one and try it?)

And I will totally try the take-them-in-the-middle-of-a-meal thing Spinner. I'm not giving up on it any time soon!

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Are you just becoming primal?

I believe Josh Rubin mentioned this, that when some people take fish oil, they get the negative side effects such as fish oil burps and digestive issues because their digestive system is screwed. Or at-least damaged from a previous way of eating.

Makes sense seeing as people who take fish oil are commonly switching over from an unhealthy diet, and like it or not, diet and antibiotic use play a large role in how your gut bacteria operates and is distributed.

Something to think about.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    i see like 500 brands of nordic naturals at the health store... which fish oil by them do yall take??? theres like 15 kinds!

I've been primal since October of last year (stay in the carb maintenance range, 60-70% of my calories from fat, etc.) And gluten/dairy/corn/soy free for 2 years, eating 'traditional' whole foods. I also have been taking (small amounts--like 180 mg EPA, 120 mg DHA) of fish oil regularly for at least a year now, but recently upped it quite a bit (probably around 1000-1500 of each). Probably too quickly, I'm sure. FWIW, I've been trying to take it all in at night b/4 bed and have not been noticing ill effects. I took a break from it for a couple days and the stomach aches totally went away. Adding them back in in the evening right b/4 bed *seems* to be working for me...I'm sure it has something to do w/ adjusting to it...

The kinds I've been taking are the NOW foods, DHA 500 and the GNC triple strength fish oil (both of which I've read good things about). Both have around 500 DHA or EPA, 250 DHA or EPA (going for around a 1:1 ratio).

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    The fish oil could have been poorly stored and be rancid as a result. Break open a capsule or two and taste it. If it tastes mild and slightly fishy, you're good. You'll know rancid when you taste it.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast