Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loose vs Lose

Shop Now
    Makes me think of the book "Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation".

http://www.amazon.com/Eats-Shoots-Le.../dp/1592400876

My wife is always finding spelling or punctuation errors in books, magazines, and web sites.
    Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

My favorite peeve is mute/moot.

Seemingly well educated folks saying that "the point is mute". arghhh!
    Your goals, minus your doubts, equals your reality.
    - Ralph Marston

Their just sad that there dog got lose and ended up over they're. What a bunch of loosers!

What really gets my knickers in a twist is when people substitute "myself" for "me" or "I". Yes, it might sound classier, but damn it, it's wrong! I hear supposedly educated people on the radio doing this all the time.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Speaking of misspellings on fitness websites, these two are also way up there: weight (ie. "I weight 180 pounds") and breath (ie. "Don't forget to breath when you lift weights").

Weigh and breathe, just in case...

Wow -- I'm gratified at the enthusiastic response to this.

Other pet peeves:

* At Whole Foods: "12 items or less". It's fewer goddammit!
    * On CSI and nigh on everywhere else: "I have a theory that <insert arbitrary assumption here>". Repeat after me: hypothesis.
    Last edited by groquette; 06-14-2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: let's not go there...

Groquette, I'm not gonna touch that with the entire Warsaw basketball team (a whole bunch of 10' Poles.) With the environment I work in, so many people can't seem to form a full sentence, yet think they're god(dess)(e)(s)'s gift to engineering and their word is law. Hydraulics are not just something in the low rider car, hydrology is not a made- up word, and civil engineering doesn't mean I need to stay polite. /rant
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

How about IRREGARDLESS???? Seriously, WTF does regardless mean if irregardless is a word?

I mix up words all the time lately. I think it has to do with hanging out with little twin boys all the time. I'm lucky to change my verb tense.

Lately I rely on little tricks to remember things, (Like I can't hEAR you!, move that over tHERE) and hate it when I can't remember the trick... So if you have one for since and sense, please share it with me... 'cause I screw that up ALL the time!!!!!

I'll just apologize for typing the way I talk. With almost total disregard for punctuation.

One I can't stand is using "weary" instead of "wary."

Misplaced commas (and other punctuation, but commas are the most prevalent) on signage really piss me off too.

Email composed in text-speak is quite rude, especially in a business environment (and, unfortunately, becoming more common with people and their blackberries). If I give you the courtesy of full sentences and proper English, I expect to be repaid in kind.

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by tooround View Post
    Definately!
    Oy. That one really bothers me for some reason.