Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New Chapter page

runnerbean is offline Member

A New Chapter

Shop Now
    2013 was both a wonderful year and a very difficult year.
    A lot of refocusing.
    A very rewarding year of work and travel.

In the process, I really let go of my need to be active and to eat well.

I'm looking to find a way to get that back.
    To fit being happier and heathier into my somewhat crazy life.

When I don't eat well, I get tired and somewhat depressed. And then I lack the energy and motivation to get back ahead of the curve. Having a few days off over the holidays has given me a chance to kinda get over that and see how much I need to be refocused.

I'm starting this journal mostly for accountability and also maybe hoping that others will want to share some tips and tricks.

Here`s me today:

IMG_0252_2.jpgIMG_0254.jpg

5ft7in and about 130lbs. I'm kinda shocked that number isn't a lot worse but the real issue is how I look and feel. I am so fluffy and soft. uugh.

I've been "back on the program" for about a week now and craving sugar and rice like nobody's business. Eating lots but feeling "hungry" a lot of the time. I had one slip where I finished off the rest of the ice cream that I had in the freezer ... duh! but otherwise, so far so good. Really hoping that I can am through the worst of this by Monday when I am back on-site with my client.

My two big goals for this week are

1) Get out of the office every day early enough to make it to the indoor track or to the gym before they close. I can always do more work at home later. I just need to pry myself away from things for a bit and make it a priority.

2) Do food prep etc and generally be well enough organized to avoid eating out. Breakfast is a massive challenge here. I always feel tired in the morning and making a real meal just doesn't seem to be consistently achieveable. Just not eating has never been a good solution for me, either but I need to keep myself away from the croissants and granola!

Food log for yesterday:

Espresso
    Two egg omlette with a small tin of salmon and some wilted kale inside
    Avocado
    Grapefruit
    Carrots with almond butter and ham
    Curried mixed veggies with a grilled chicken breast

brunch:
    two eggs, scrambled in olive oil
    steamed red chard
    chicken breast baked with olive oil, paprika, salt
    1 avocado
    lots of coffee

dinner:
    arugula and blueberries with walnut oil
    finished off the steamed chard
    I cooked some bison but it didn't turn out at all well and I didn't want to eat it.

Still peckish and not much in the fridge so I decided to get my groceries done for the week.

Grocery haul:

IMG_0254.jpg

All chopped up an prepped for next week. Today I am also going to portion out some stuff. Grab n'go for the week!

Then snack before bed of some toasted pecans and some left-over chicken breast.

calee is offline Senior Member
    Your groceries are so colorful! I am loving arugula salads right now. Lots of veggies with a handful of pomegranate seeds that add a big burst of flavor with each bite. Was it ground bison? I haven't tried it again because I wasn't hot on the flavor. Maybe someone will chime in with a great way to prepare it!

Yes. Lots of things from far away
    I guess it's just like that if you want fruits and vegetables in Québec in the winter!
    I actually have a bit of arugula in the fridge. Love it. I grow lots and lots of the stuff at home so I can eat with abandon. I will have to try the pomegranate seeds. I don't think that I've ever had them.
    I had little bison steaks. Fried over a low heat in olive oil. I actually wonder if they weren't a bit off. They came in one of those vacuum packs things and they smelled really odd when they came out. I actually rinsed them off before cooking as I thought it might just be the blood in the package. The taste was really weird too, though. I remember having bison before and not liking it but it's not something that we have every day in the grocery store at home.

Yaay - feeling so much better today.
    It's a good thing, too. No way I could get through a day at the office feeling the way that I have been :P

Got a fair bit of work accomplished today as well as hauling all my laundry over to the laundromat. I like my little place here a lot but I sure miss just tossing a load in while I am doing other stuff.

Foods for today:
    Morning: Worked, laundry, etc. Just drank coffee.
    Lunch: Organic ground pork fried in coconut oil with asparagus, five spice and a little fish sauce. The pork was really good and I was seriously hungry. I couldn't believe that I ate the whole 500g of pork that I cooked! And then I had an apple. It was this little green one with rough skin. A Québec heirloom apple that they were giving away at the grocery store for people to try. OK but basically just sweet. No real character like many of the apples I remember when I was a girl in England.
    Afternoon snack: 2 slices ham with an avocado. Oink, oink!
    Dinner: fast fry rib eye with a mountain of steamed broccoli, arugula and blueberries.

All packed for tomorrow. Looking forward to a big week!

calee is offline Senior Member
    How did you end up in Quebec? Do you miss England?

It's amazing how much hungrier you can get when here's no junk eating. I noticed that as well on my W30.

I live in California, so we have a pretty good selection on veggies and fruits, even in winter, but a lot is shipped here as well.

Thanks, Calee.
    It's good to hear that other people eat like crazy as well

I live in Vancouver normally so we get quite mild winters. I can pull kale, chard, carrots, arugula ... out of the garden all winter long. I am working on a project here in Montréal right now, though and I just can't face commuting every weekend so I've mostly just stayed.

It's actually the eating lots thing that tends to derail me when I DO have to travel a lot. It's super easy to get nice meat and fish offerings and some token vegetables and do 90% type meals but the problem is that I just starve. I just can't seem to get the amount of veggies and of fat that I feel like I need to thrive. And then I get hungry. And grumpy I really need to try to figure out a solution before I get done with the full time on-site part of this project and end up travelling again.

Today was a resounding success. I am very pleased.
    I had a can of tuna with green peas in tomato sauce for brekkie. Yeah yeah, peas, I know ... it's a good job I knew I wasn't together enough to manage a whole 30 right now!! Chapeau to those who do! ... but the concept was awesome. I think maybe I will get more cans of tuna in olive oil. LOVE that they have such things in almost every grocery store here! One of those and some fruit should have me off to a good start with minimal fuss.
    Oh, and coffee. Gotta have the coffee.
    Typical busy day. I ate most of what I took to work except a small tin of salmon which I would have enjoyed but it just seemed too hard to deal with while working and I didn't want to stop.

toasted walnuts with dried beef slices and sliced bell peppers
    repeat of dinner last night (huge mound of steamed broccoli and a fast fry ribeye)
    the rest of the walnuts with a kiwi

I bailed at 8 and went to the track. Awesome Oregon circuit type workout. Went hard. The kinda stuff that holds your HR up and makes you feel like you are on the edge of puking. Yeah, baby!

Sole fried in coconut oil with some more broccoli, and huge pile of salad greens, some sliced bell pepper and toasted almonds .... all drizzled in avocado oil. Nom. I think I may need a bit more fruit or something but I am going to try some tea first.

Time to pay the piper and get everything finished up ready for meetings tomorrow.

Refontai is offline Senior Member
    Your groceries are so pretty!

If you aren't feeling full maybe you could add some almond butter or coconut oil to your meals? If I'm still hungry after I've finished dinner I eat a couple spoonfuls of almond butter or a big scoop of coconut oil and that generally tops me off. Or just eat more food! You sound like you're really active!

Also, avocado oil... I don't know how I didn't know this was a thing but it sounds seriously amazing!
    You have to fall in love with the process of becoming great.

PrimalCon New York
    Refontai, you HAVE to try avocado oil. SO SO good. The only downside is that you have to keep it refrigerated and it solidifies but TOTALLY worth the effort.

I am very happy again with today. Quick spin in the morning but a pretty solid effort. HUGE day at work. Nailed the meeting that I have been stressing about since before XMas and made some good progress on other stuff and then a bit of running and plyos in the evening.

I am a bit worried that I didn't get in enough food today and might be paying for that tomorrow. I had a can of tuna in olive oil with garlic and chilli after my ride but was only able to eat about half of it. I am not sure if I was really full or just distracted with work. It was totally weird because I was about ready to chew on the can when I started. Shrug.

The really bad part was that after that (at 7), I really didn't get time to eat anything else until 4:30 in the afternoon. Lunch, I guess. Big salad with berries, toasted almonds and lots of avocado oil along with some more sole.

Home at 10 and I downed two huge sausages and another big pile of salad - this time with olive oil.

We will see ... I feel good .... here's to not crashing and burning tomorrow!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast