Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Self Defense Question page

rj4242 is offline Junior Member

Self Defense Question

I'd like to get my fifteen year old son some self defense training and I was wondering what would be best. I'm not thinking of ongoing martial arts training, but just maybe an eight week course so he'd learn some skills to handle himself if he gets jumped or something. Looking online I see a lot of different martial arts classes, but nothing just "self defense." What would be the best kind for basic self defense?

bakesy is offline Junior Member
    Krav maga is good for self defense and the easiest to pick up lot of the police forces around the world teach this now

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    My 15 yr old son is taking a self defense course at school based on Krav Maga. I don't think it's very involved, more like an introduction, he really likes it.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rj4242 View Post
    I'd like to get my fifteen year old son some self defense training and I was wondering what would be best. I'm not thinking of ongoing martial arts training, but just maybe an eight week course so he'd learn some skills to handle himself if he gets jumped or something. Looking online I see a lot of different martial arts classes, but nothing just "self defense." What would be the best kind for basic self defense?
    I took a basic self defense course over a summer at my college. We learned some basic techniques, like escaping from holds, throwing people, and punching. Some of it was useful, but most of it wasn't. I don't think it'd be worth paying money for a course like that. Most of the useful information can be found for free on the internet.

I'd mainly recommend that your son learn as much about situational awareness as possible. It's more useful than having a Glock stuffed with hollowpoints or a black belt in jiu-jitsu. He should walk with confidence, make eye contact with people, and always be aware of his surroundings.

I don't know your son's build, but being big and strong is useful, too. It won't necessarily make your son a better fighter, but it at least gives the appearance. Bad guys aren't dumb. They would prefer not to get killed or injured when they try to rob someone and pick their targets accordingly. I'm big, ugly, pay attention to my surroundings, and haven't been in a fight in maybe 6 years. I hope that helped.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Grafter is offline Senior Member
    What do you really want?

1. Do you want to give him skills? As honestly, skills take a lot of work to develop, on going conditioning, and are a large commitment to maintain and improve. As well as there is no guarantee that they would actually help in a street fight. In addition, there are potentially large legal liabilities of doing so.

2. Do you want him to avoid fights? As situation awareness is probably one of the better things he could develop if you are interested in this side of it.

Mind you, these two things are quite different, but all too often confused for the same thing when people start talking about "wanting to know how to defend themselves". If you want a much better explanation of this, read: “X” Marks the Spot. Get Off the “X” | Tony Blauer Blog
    turquoisepassion - I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Honestly I think the best fighting/self-defense training is good old-fashioned boxing.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Krav Maga ~ p.s. they also incorporate boxing!

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    The issue here is that to be proficient at legitimate self-defense one needs to legitimately train hard for it. It's ongoing; you don't pick it up in a few weeks and then just have it on the shelf in case something goes wrong.

Sent via Transmogrifier

Simon is offline Senior Member
    Whatever you choose, go for a reality based (i.e. non sporting) system as self defence is useless if you get used to adhering to 'rules' during training. The way you train is the way you will fight if it comes to it.

One caveat though - 15 years is pretty young to learn the no-holds-barred, simple and brutal stuff that will (hopefully) work on the street when you need it to, so you have to be careful as teenagers can sometimes get carried away.

Krav Maga is great, I understand. I'm a big fan of a New York based system called Guided Chaos FWIW.

GregF is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When my son was taking jujitsu, his Sensei taught the kids that the first two things that they hit with are their eyes and their voice. It's about projecting the attitude that you're going to stand up for yourself. And he was very clear that the skills he taught were unlikely to work in a real-world fight. If it comes to that, there's no shame in using whatever skills you have to get into a position where you can run away.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast