Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Self Defense Question page 6

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Marc Macyoung - nononsenseselfdefense.com is one of the best.
    Thanks Owen, that was the other name I was trying to remember. IIRC some very good stuff, especially around awareness of potential attackers and how they carry themselves as an indication of whether they are carrying weapons
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Street violence is awful, completely unpredictable and has no rules - they might be armed, they might have hidden accomplices. No martial art is going to replace basic common sense. In most cases an attacker will have already sized up a victim by the victim's lack of awareness.

Martial arts is the final 10% of an overall personal safety model that should have more to do with psychology than it does grappling or punches. I'm not against it in any way. But the single most effective self defense technique is called 'the fence' as developed by Geoff Thompson in the UK.
    Last edited by Owen; 07-06-2014 at 02:03 PM.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I find that a good set of cauliflower ears, and a quietly confident demeanor is the best self-defense. But I don't exactly live in a high violence area or hang out in places where unexpected violence tends to occur, so maybe the cauliflower ears and good posture are the second line of defense and choosing your environment carefully is #1.
    The Champagne of Beards

Krimson Rose is offline Junior Member
    I love what everyone has posted about awareness. I had started taking Krav Maga, and loved it. "The point of Krav Maga is to get home safe" the instructors would say. A couple of the instructors were police officers, I found it helpful for them to say the move/defense/skill they were teaching worked effectively in a real life situation. I stopped going when I was pregnant, and now we moved, but I want to find Krav again. It seemed more practical rather than showy to me. My daughters will go in it to when they can, as well as their dad and I picking on them before hand. .

~KR

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I've also been doing krav as of late; it is pretty practical.

Some months back a roommate of mine got mugged at knife point and, thanks to some of the WMA dagger/knife work we'd done in the past, managed to get away with only a hole in his jacket. However, it's also important to remember that if someone just wants your wallet, give them your wallet. Escalating the situation just means you're going to get hurt.

Who were those ladies fighting (and what's the difference between a judoka trained in striking and a bjj prac. trained in striking)? I haven't followed WMA in years and years, since the fights basically ended up as ground-n-pound all day every day, which got dull.

M.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post

Who were those ladies fighting (and what's the difference between a judoka trained in striking and a bjj prac. trained in striking)? I haven't followed WMA in years and years, since the fights basically ended up as ground-n-pound all day every day, which got dull.

M.
    Ronda Rousey (current champ) Def. Alexis Davis.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456