Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Self Defense Question page 3

earthlymumma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post

I learned what I know from spending a lot of time on military bases, but my father gave me the best advice:
    "Son, remember: no one wants to mess with a crazy person.....doesn't matter how small or he is or how old. No one wants to fight that guy that will gouge your eyes out or try to bite your fingers off."

One of the few times self-defense ever came into play was when I was a bartender, right before I went to school for a season. A guy got all tough at the end of the night with his buddies around, pretty much hinted him and 4 other guys were about to jump the bar....then my dad's advice came to mind.

I said something like this, mixed with a lot of F-bombs, "Please jump over this bar. They know me pretty well in the jail here and I want to bite one of your f-ing noses off. PLEASE COME OVER!" I had my eyes wide as they could get, started jumping up and down like a rapid monkey, punching myself in the head, repeating "Let me kill one of you MF's! WHOO!!!!"

They got the hell out of there, plus I attracted the attention of every person/bouncer in the bar.

See, this kind of thing doesn't get taught at Karate class
    LMAO! That gave me a great mental image!

I agree about this theory. I've thought about this type of defense as well. And scared myself with some sick stuff I've thought about saying and doing if imagined situations arised.

I think awareness is very important, and the ability to escape/evade/dissolve situation, and the confidence to defend yourself with whatever means you have if the situation goes that way.

BeckyLively is offline Junior Member
    I suggest you to get him into a tae kwon do summer camp Chantilly, VAas martial arts is a first step in self defense. They teach you about Kick boxing, tai chi etc. Once he get's to know the basics, the rest will come to him naturally.

The sick bastards in the military taught me that someone who is gonna try to kick your ass normally won't tell you, loses the eliment of surprise.

If you have to defende yourself the best thing to do is attach yourself to a part of the combatants body they fear getting hurt (arm, legs genetals etc) and hurt it as much as you can.

Under control is a persons best defense. lose your cool, lose your focus, lose the fight is what i was taught.

Danny
    Last edited by NittyGrittyDanny; 03-24-2014 at 11:26 AM.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    That's the essence of it, for sure. The rest is just the "how to".

M.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Principles of Personal Defense by Jeff Cooper is a must read.

Yeah, that's a good one.

To anyone just joining the thread, ALERTNESS is key. You can win the situation without ever having to fight or run simply by being ALERT and picking your battles.

If you go looking for trouble, you become a crusader. That's on you. Good luck with that, I mean it.

I'm a unfortunate bastard who can't run...physically. So when ALERTNESS fails me (which it hasn't yet - even won me a fight without fighting once already!), I'm stuck having to talk or fight. It's ALERTNESS that prevents an ambush.

Only once had to "fight" - felt a guy try to pickpocket me once in Baltimore and I elbowed him - he ran.

If you want to learn how to fight, go for it. Even beyond getting out of sticky situations there's lots of benefits. Just don't use it as an excuse to get yourself stuck in somewhere.

TIP - stay out of ground fighting based schools/drills, at least in the beginning. You'll get a lot more out of it if you learn how to stay up on your feet and get used to jamming parts of your body places (like knees to groins) than on something that works well in a ring. Once you're good at that, by all means expand your tool kit.

Fitness is also very useful, obviously. Yeah, training can help you overcome the bigger, stronger guy but if you can't even move yourself well you're kind of boned.

Anyways, felt like it needed to be reiterated; it's easy to get harsh on the "stick up for yourself" camp of self-defense. Often the more interesting bits (the fighting bits) get all the attention and it gives off the impression that we're just thugs in disguise.

On that subject, I've recently gotten into "comparative martial arts". There's lots of ways to thwack someone with something -
    styles/schools/etc are just the "what to drill" to do the most effective thwacking possible, reliably (that's the key - Practice ONE kick 10,000 times, instead of 10,000 kicks once and all that). I've lately been picking through combatives manuals to get a feel for how a given military organization at a certain time went about cataloging their methods. These are easy places to start.

I've recently picked up a book on Xingyi Quan, which is a nifty school that took Chinese spear fighting drills and turned it into a fist method so that troops who already knew individual spear combatives could quickly learn hand to hand (for increased confidence and having a backup for when the spear is not at hand). What's cool is it eventually came full circle and the Chinese Republican Army taught it to their officers as a foundation for hand to hand, bayonet and sabre. Sometimes, I'm a nerd.

M.

PrimalBlue is offline Junior Member
    For decent self defence, you need to of studied most Martial Arts for sometime and be well trained in them (and I say this as a 1st Dan in Kempo Ju Jitsu (combat jitsu) and Kempo Karate.)

But for the quickest way to make yourself confident and hold your own in a fight (please note you could still get your arse handed to you by a decent fighter) is to do something like Western Boxing, Thai Boxing or Muay Thai.
    All three styles will quickly teach someone to throw a proper punch (and knee and Elbow) have a guard and move about comfortably.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Any martial art that has sparring against a fully resisting opponent is good. So that means boxing, judo, wrestling, BJJ, etc. The rest is potentially worse than useless, since it might (God forbid) give you the delusion that you're a legit badass. It's full contact or it's just LARP...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    True that, Legbiter.

Also, don't neglect your feet. A long, high kick is a bad idea - smashing knees and insteps however...

M.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast