Thread: sugar + sleep = no go? page

elwyne is offline Senior Member

sugar + sleep = no go?

Primal Fuel
    I read this somewhere but now I can't find it. I had (relatively) a lot of sugar & carbs this weekend (it was my b-day) and I got terrible sleep, in spite of spending plenty of time in bed. Do others find you can't sleep or don't sleep well after eating sugar/carbs? Or was it more likely the alcohol??
    thx!

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Anything that causes a cortisol release will interrupt with sleep, as it's a waking hormone.

Alcohol = toxin = cortisol (I have nothing against it, just saying)
    Excess sugar = cortisol released to keep blood sugar from dipping too low

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

gini is offline Senior Member
    Probably all of the above. Changing your eating habits can affect your sleep and so can alcohol.

Lean Body is offline Member
    Usually these are the things that can cause sleeping problem:

* Too much food, especially fatty, rich food. These take a lot of work for your stomach to digest and may keep you up. Spicy or acidic foods in the evening can cause stomach trouble and heartburn.

* Too much liquid. Drinking lots of fluid may result in frequent bathroom trips throughout the night.

* Alcohol. Many people think that a nightcap before bed will help them sleep. While it may make you fall asleep faster, alcohol reduces your sleep quality, waking you up later in the night. To avoid this effect, so stay away from alcohol in the hours before bed.

* Caffeine. You might be surprised to know that caffeine can cause sleep problems up to ten to twelve hours after drinking it! Consider eliminating caffeine after lunch or cutting back your overall intake.

* Smoking. Smoking causes sleep troubles in numerous ways. Nicotine is a stimulant, which disrupts sleep. Additionally, smokers actually experience nicotine withdrawal as the night progresses, making it hard to sleep.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Had berries before bed last night. Slept for 3 hours, and then BAM! On like a light. Awake for 3 hours.

I'm blaming the berries, and not the tea.