Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: getting the balance right page

jacobsen001 is offline Member

getting the balance right

Primal Fuel
    Hi
    I am new to Paleo and I was wondering whether someone could help me. I have been doing the 'diet' for a week now and I am having problems.
    I have known about the rules of this way of eating for some time but was resistant to trying it as I have not eaten meat for years. However my diet has still been very healthy on the whole and quite low carb. I rarely ate bread, or wheat or rice. My diet tended to be intermittent fasting until 12. Then I would have a protein shake, or avocado and salad and some nuts. In the afternoon I would maybe eat a piece of cheese (unpasturised), or some hummus, snack on a packet of cherry tomatoes or a tin of salmon. Dinner would be a stir fry with prawns or a salad with fish. If I was in a restaurant I would have fish and vegetables and only then some bread and butter. My sleep was excellent 10.30-7 with no waking despite being nearly 50 and entering the menopause. No periods for 3-4 months at a time and rarely a hot flush. Masses of energy on waking for the whole morning. My blood sugar is fine and I can easily go 5 hours without needing to eat and I never get a drowsy or foggy head (I do know what that is like because when I was in my 20's at uni I was very unwell with all the junk food and had a very foggy head and exhaustion and IBS until I did an elimination diet and made a massive lifestyle change) I don't drink coffee but drink alcohol once or twice a week. I walk my dog and hour and a half every day and do a weights class at the gym 3 times a week and sometimes some cardio as well. I used to run but running raised my cortisol dramatically and wiped me out, damaged my hips so I had to stop.
    I wanted to try a different approach to food though as my weight was stuck at about 135lbs (I am guessing as I never weigh my self) I am only 5ft 3 so I would like to be 112lbs or something like that. I don't have a lot of stomach fat, my fat is more of a problem on my upper arms and bottom and thighs.
    Also my mood can be very low/depressed and my energy swings wildly from high to low, day by day in terms of motivation (not so much a sugar low as in I don't have to rush and eat anything to feel better, more a low, flat mood).
    After another session of reading all I could on Paleo/Blueprint and all the great feedback from devotees I decided to give it a try. I started back on meat and got all the correct grass fed beef etc.
    I was raised as a child on a 'health farm' and my father is an organic gardener so we always had free range eggs and made our own full fat raw yoghurt, and had massive amounts of organic vegetables.
    The first 3-4 days I was fine and my energy levels went up along with my mood. I wasn't sure whether my mood improvement was the excitement of starting something new or the diet itself.
    I was having something like scrambled eggs and bacon and sausage for breakfast, steak and salad for lunch and then fish and vegetables for dinner with coconut yoghurt for dessert (because I was still starving!) This is so much more than I usually eat but I am not feeling my hunger pangs switch off - the grehlin. My mind is up and racing like mad. For the last 2 nights I have slept really badly and woken up shattered. Today I did my early weight class then went and had breakfast of scrambled eggs sausage and bacon and I feel so tired. I haven't weighed my self but I feel the weight is coming off quickly (a lot of water weight from the carbs over xmas!)
    What am I doing wrong? I need to sleep and I need to feel full up or I won't be able to continue.
    It reminds me of when I was in my early 30's and I had a bit of an eating disorder. I would manage all day on an apple and a salad - had a high racing energy - but I never slept.
    My mind is racing at bedtime. I can only think that I am not making any seratonin prior to bedtime and need to eat some more carbs. I have bought some sweet potatoes for this week to include.
    I have felt better than this and slept better when I have done a fast.
    I can't believe it is a 'detox' period as I have not been a very high carb eater.
    Can someone please help? I would really appreciate it. I would love to be able to make this work for me.

just to add, I took some melatonin last night but it didn't stop my racing mind. I am already taking magnesium and iodine.
    I am very responsive to the rhythm of day and night and usually awake upon daylight, no alarm needed (this can be a problem sometimes in high summer when I can wake at 4am)

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    Looks to me like you're previous diet was really quite good. Lots of vegetables with some protein. Perfect really. I think that when people switch from a SAD diet to anything Paleoish, it is such an improvement in nutrient density and a reduction in harmful components that many times they will see big improvements in health. In your case I would guess that the changes you have made has upset your gut microbiome. If you see worthwhile benefits through the initial bad stuff then you probably just need to stay the course for a little while.
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I am feeling better in terms of mood so that is a plus, and I do have more energy, but whether it is a good energy I am not sure. This morning in my gym class I was having hot flushes which never usually happens. Last night I was terribly hot when my mind was racing (not like a hot flush). I remember that from my anorexic days, I would be hot all night. I remember reading that the body drops a couple of degrees to initiate sleep and that is not happening now. Plus when I close my eyes it is as if the light is still on, a sure sign I am going to sleep badly.
    I have walked the dog and am cooking sweet potato, asparagus and some meat as I write this. My stomach is growling away...

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    why are you taking iodine and when did you start?

i don't know that i would have jumped from eating a bit of fish to steak and bacon. it's quite possible your gut isn't ready for it, but if you still feel hungry after meals, then eat more, especially protein until you get a handle on hunger. it may feel like a different cue if you're more used to your belly being full of greenery -- volume, rather than nutrients. i'd also start consuming bone broth, like yesterday, to help your gut.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Artemis67 is offline Senior Member
    Paragraph breaks. Seriously, man. Paragraph breaks.

If you want more people to read a long-ass post and offer you assistance, breaking up the Wall of Text into manageable chunks will go a long way. Help us, and we can better help you.

My suspicion was lack of carbs and it was so.
    Last night I added a sweet potato to my dinner which I had at 5pm because we were going out. I immediately felt the difference and felt full and slept very well again. It is now 7am here in the UK and I am still full and I have gone 14 hours without food.

I think men and women have different nutritional needs and the same things affect us all slightly differently.

I am a size 6 so not overweight and going very low carb made my mind race. I think it ramped up my metabolism too much.
    I felt so hungry the last 3 days. I drank practically a jug of heavy cream trying to stop the hunger but a small sweet potato was all it took.

I am taking iodine to support thyroid function. Recently I read that iodine aided in cancer cell death too. I take Lugols Iodine. You put it in water. It tastes revolting!!

Thanks for the welcome Artemis!!!

The commonly accepted medical opinion is that iodine’s only role in the body is to help make thyroid hormones. Although this is an extremely important function, Abraham demonstrates that the role of iodine in the body goes far beyond its function of making thyroid hormones. Other possible functions include: helping to regulate moods, preventing cancer (especially in breasts, ovaries, uterus, prostate and thyroid gland), preventing and treating fibrocystic breasts in women, helping to regulate blood pressure, helping to regulate blood sugar and prevent and treat diabetes, and helping to prevent abnormal cardiac rhythms. For example, Japanese women, who have one of the lowest breast cancer rates in the world, ingest more than 13 mg of iodine daily from seaweed without suffering any adverse consequences. He further demonstrates that iodine tends to be antibacterial, antiviral, antiparasitic, and antifungal and that it enhances immune function. Furthermore, he suggests that suboptimal iodine intake may contribute to various thyroid abnormalities commonly seen today, including hypothyroidism (underactive), hyperthyroidism (overactive) and autoimmune inflammation of the thyroid (Hashimoto’s Disease).

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobsen001 View Post
    The commonly accepted medical opinion is that iodine’s only role in the body is to help make thyroid hormones. Although this is an extremely important function, Abraham demonstrates that the role of iodine in the body goes far beyond its function of making thyroid hormones. Other possible functions include: helping to regulate moods, preventing cancer (especially in breasts, ovaries, uterus, prostate and thyroid gland), preventing and treating fibrocystic breasts in women, helping to regulate blood pressure, helping to regulate blood sugar and prevent and treat diabetes, and helping to prevent abnormal cardiac rhythms. For example, Japanese women, who have one of the lowest breast cancer rates in the world, ingest more than 13 mg of iodine daily from seaweed without suffering any adverse consequences. He further demonstrates that iodine tends to be antibacterial, antiviral, antiparasitic, and antifungal and that it enhances immune function. Furthermore, he suggests that suboptimal iodine intake may contribute to various thyroid abnormalities commonly seen today, including hypothyroidism (underactive), hyperthyroidism (overactive) and autoimmune inflammation of the thyroid (Hashimoto’s Disease).
    Guess you forgot the paragraph breaks request. I stopped reading your original post after a few sentences.

But I respond, not to chastise, but to make an observation: You are working WAY too hard at this. You just can't nuance every molecule of whatever consumed equating to some outcome. As someone previously posted, the diet you came from was pretty damned good by most measures. It certainly worked for you.

One of the differences between paleo forums and vegan forums is that we tend to not have a need to prove ourselves right for everyone. General guidelines like steering mostly clear of grains, sure.

Do what's right for you.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast